ride share and morning meetup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ride share and morning meetup

So, veterans of the DC Shoot know that very early on Thursday morning it's common to see many of the participants gathering in the hotel lobby, half-awake but excited about the day's events... looking around to see who else they know, groggy from the night before and trying to grab a greasy, egg-based breakfast from some shop in the hotel.

ah, remembering days like these...

... i'm already smiling thinking about this summer, hoping that all will go well.

If you want to be a part of the caravan to the site, we will be doing the same thing again this summer. The hallway leading to the "Rotunda" contains the Rio business center. We will be rallying right in front of that. Originally, we had been told that the Rotunda itself would be accessible, but with all the fussing and preparation for registration, it's just better if we meet in the hallway.

Parking access at the Rio appears to be totally free. So even if you're not staying at the DEFCON hotel, you should be able to be a part of the caravan without it costing you anything.

If you have free space in your vehicle, please consider posting that here. If you need a ride, please feel free to post here. I know that not everyone can edit posts after a certain amount of time has passed, so please do your best to read through the whole thread to make sure you're seeing the most updated information.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; August 4, 2011, 01:29.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: ride share and morning meetup

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    If you have free space in your vehicle, please consider posting that here.
    I am planning to have a rental car, and may have room for one more person, but no pre-planning with seat reservations -- that always fails. When we leave, first come first served. Also, know we will probably be leaving the dc shoot early, because we will want to attend some of the other Thursday events. Because of this, my car may leave only after 1 hour of being at the shoot.

Also consider the HackBus. We have added a forum for them in case they do not manage to get their forum up before Defcon. (We all know things can get crazy-busy as con approaches, and the organizers put in a lot of time and money into transportation to and from Defcon plus related events, so give them a break if their forum is not up before Defcon.)

A thread in the forums associated with hackBus on these forums is available, and I quote from parts of it here:
    (Emphasis on Defcon Shoot is mine.)
    Originally posted by EvilMoFo View Post
    Information
    Our mission is to provide economical and entertaining transportation to and from Defcon, the Defcon Shoot, and the Toxic BBQ. We do not charge for the ride to the Defcon Shoot or the Toxic BBQ. We do take donations however, both at Defcon and on paypal. If you are interested in getting some recognition or being a sponsor, contact me to work something out.

In an effort to maintain an internet presence at all times, we have a distributed domain ownership and hosting structure. At the present time, hackbus.net is the only one in operation. However, the forums at hackb.us are said to reappear in the near future as is the intended main site hackbus.com.

On the topic of an internet presence, we will have a live video stream of the trip and be updating our Twitter and Facebook.

Trip
    The following information may not be entirely accurate, for the most current information visit hackbus.net.

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    I know that not everyone can edit posts after a certain amount of time has passed...
    24 hours for almost all users unless a forum or thread is locked or closed.
    Exceptions: mods, admins, and forum leader/oranizers can edit their posts and sometimes the posts of others if and only if they are in the forum associated with a contest they are a forum leader/organizer.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; June 22, 2011, 21:56.

Comment

I'll have room for three passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
        I'll have room for three passengers.
        I don't think we're getting a rental car this year, so I'll be looking for a ride. I'll be happy to kick in for gas. I'm only bringing one pistol, but I will also have a box of tshirts (size as yet indeterminate).

Comment

I agree with TheCotMan, pre-planning seat reservations, and in my case hotel room roomie reservations, always fails miserably. Those who have space can post and we can see how the balancing act will go.

Comment

I agree with TheCotMan, pre-planning seat reservations, and in my case hotel room roomie reservations, always fails miserably. Those who have space can post and we can see how the balancing act will go.
            I might take you up on that offer (if you would be willing to reserve a seat for me since we're sharing a lane), though I would have a medium to large pelican case (44.37" x 16.00" x 6.12"), and a smaller bag with other gear.

Although if someone would instead commit to driving me to lvsteeltargets i'll buy a race tree from him to bring to the shoot. He is about 16 minutes away, but close to a freeway, we would have to leave slightly early and drop it off afterward so he can ship it back to me.

Address for lvsteel targets
            http://goo.gl/maps/9OO8

Or maybe I'll just get a rental car if no one offers.

Comment

Last year hotel security started hassling people in the parked cars in the convoy (during the meeting/briefing thing) behind the bus for staying too long in a no parking zone.

It would be good if this year the bus/convoy could start from an area where we aren't going to piss off the hotel for standing too long.

Comment

Maybe, hopefully, the Rio will not hate on us using the pick-up/drop-off area for picking up and dripping off.

Like TheCotMan pointed out, the bus will be offering rides once again. Logically room for about 10.

Comment

a smart plan will be to NOT start piling into cars until the time that the caravan is actually lining up and leaving, probably.

in years past, many people would get their car from the garage in order to drive it down all the ramps, etc. with the Rio being basically a flat lot, that's a lot less hassle. just stand in the hallway out front of the Business Center waiting to see what's what... then at five or ten minutes before 8 AM drivers can go get their vehicles, idle at the curb, load up, and people all roll out at the stroke of 0800.

- dev
                  Last edited by Deviant Ollam; August 4, 2011, 01:48.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

I will have a car but I am lame at times and slow to wake. But I should have a few seats open.
                    mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
                    KeyID 3B535825D9402365
                    FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

Anybody got space for me + 2 friends?

Comment

Can we all bring FRS radios and designate a shoot channel? Just in case one person gets caught at a traffic light to or something.

Comment

Can we all bring FRS radios and designate a shoot channel? Just in case one person gets caught at a traffic light to or something.
                          I've got 4-6 radios that I offered to bring if they would be helpful.

Comment

The radios are cheap enough now, under $20. Technically you need a license to use them, but heck a FRS license ought to be a scavhunt item. I suggest you bring them!

Comment

I`ll maybe have a spare seat or two in my rental, so long you dont mind me occasionally saying "oops, wrong lane" and swerving a bit at junctions and stuff :)

Comment

Working...
                              X