• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper Evident Contest Part Deux Sign Up

Here is the sign up thread for the Tamper Evident Contest:

Things to remember:
    Each team can be up to 5 people max.
    Each team needs to state what level(s) they are playing at, One or Two.
    Each Team needs to say if they are going McGuyver or Unlimited

Level 1 (Max 10 teams) - Teams 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (FULL)
    Level 2 (Max 5 teams) - Teams 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (FULL)
    Level 3 (Max 3 teams) - Teams 1, 3, 4 (FULL)

Everyone has signed up for level 1 and 2, and level 2 will be pretty difficult. Because sign ups were slow this year I only made 5 level 2 boxes. Now that more teams have signed up we will be short, so in order to get a level 2 box you will need to complete level 1 at a high quality level.

What is in a level 3 box? A nightmare.

TEAMS SIGNED UP:

UNLIMITED CATEGORY
    1 - The Motherfucking Professionals. Level 1, 2, 3 [datagram, JK, mmca, scorche, Charlotte] (FULL)
    2 - Covert Penetration. Level 1, 2 [gebsld,,,,]
    3 - Hactar. Level 1, 2, 3 [WiK, DiscipleOfJude, Auora, Melesse, PhreakingGeek] (FULL)
    4 - WTF_Team3. Level 1, 2, 3 [snideology, El_Mariachi,Firmwarez,Flawmerc,Project4 (FULL)]
    5 - FoxHound. Level 1, 2 [Grayfox, , , ,]
    6 - GeoChallenge. Level 1, 2 [[Syntax], Nabiki, , , ]
    7 - Covert Penetration. Level 1, 2 [geblsd, @junnibug, Brandon Enright, goddeloos, ?]
    8 - Ick-Meisters. Level 1, 2 [Sally, Calvin, Debra, , ]

McGUYVER CATEGORY
    9 - valanx. Level 1, 2 [valanx,,,,]
    10 - the World's #1,337 Hackers. Level 1 [aceone, Tiffany Rad, John Strauchs, and Niko Tesla]

------

There will be a "Level One" part to the contest, almost identical to last year, with one or two minor twists. This is to provide an entry path to new people and teams, as well as help me get rid of the hundreds of tags I had to purchase as a minimum order!. :-)

So for Level One read up about what happened last year, but expect a few minor tweaks.

For "Level Two" we will be bumping up the complexity a bit, buying the better tags, seals, and such.

There will be a "Level Three" but that will be an open contest where expensive seals will be available for people who are playing at the Level Two skill level to attempt to open.

NEW FOR THIS YEAR there will be two categories:
    1 - Unlimited: Anything goes, equipment and preparation.
    2 - McGuyver: Only what you can find in your hotel room or what could be found on a hotel room cleaning cart.
    Last edited by Dark Tangent; July 29, 2011, 23:00.
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Re: Tamper Evident Contest Part Deux Sign Up

Please sign up "The Motherfucking Professionals."

We would like to play at all levels (unclear if this is allowed?). We are definitely an unlimited equipment team.

Could you clarify how the levels work? Does it imply that we can skip level 1 completely if we choose to be a level 2 team? Do we get extra points for doing both/all three levels? Do we need to do the levels in order? Can we do them all at once? Can a team doing only level 1 win the entire contest? et cetera.

Thanks and hope to see you all in Vegas in a few weeks,
    datagram
    Motherfucking Professional

PS: We will attempt not to produce chlorine gas in the contest area this year.

Comment

Good questions!

There will be a winner for each level and in each catagory.

You can play multiple levels, but not multiple catagories.

DT
      PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Sign up team "Covert Penetration" as well. We'd like to do level one and two and will be doing the unlimited version. We've just bought way to many tools to go the McGuyver route at this point, even though that sounds like loads of fun.

Cheers,
        gabe

Comment

I think I'd like a little more clarification on the McGuyver rules before I give a definite. Everything we used for the most part could have been found within the hotel, but maybe not on a cart. I think this side better represents the spirit of the competition so I'd like to go this route though- for all levels as long as we can do that.
          ----------------------------------------
          Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

Originally posted by valanx View Post
            I think I'd like a little more clarification on the McGuyver rules before I give a definite. Everything we used for the most part could have been found within the hotel, but maybe not on a cart. I think this side better represents the spirit of the competition so I'd like to go this route though- for all levels as long as we can do that.
            Think hair dryers, steam irons, tooth picks and coat hangers, soap, nail files, razor blades and bubble gum.

Not power tools, precision made micro picks, liquid nitrogen.

If you can make a compelling case to the judges why you would find a soldering iron in a hotel room environment you might just gt approval to use it, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
              If you can make a compelling case to the judges why you would find a soldering iron in a hotel room environment you might just gt approval to use it, but I doubt it.
              Sounds about right to me. I'm in for all levels on the McGuyver side with an as yet unnamed group of no more than four other brigands.

Comment

I always have a soldering iron in a hotel room in case it is one of those places with a thermostat fixed at 76, that way I can change it to 72 and change it back when I leave. :-)

Comment

Please sign up "Hactar" for both levels on the Unlimited side. We have 3 confirmed members. Willing to pick up two more along the way or from DC101.
                  Vell, WiK's just zis guy

Comment

Please sign up WTF_Team3 for level one & two, Unlimited.

I am the only member right now, but no doubt I will find at least one person with actual talent. Wonder how much money it would take to bribe one of the MF Pros to jump ship? I will provide the Arduino if one does...
                    Last edited by snideology; June 30, 2011, 21:44. Reason: War in the Middle East, Bad Economy in the States.
                    The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

Seriously? I'm the only person signed up for the McGuyver one?
                      Cowards.

Comment

Hacktar has room for 1 more. I'd like to leave it open to pick up someone at DC101

Also put us down for level 3....I don't see level 1 taking too long.
                        Vell, WiK's just zis guy

Comment

Originally posted by WiK View Post
                          Hacktar has room for 1 more. I'd like to leave it open to pick up someone at DC101

Also put us down for level 3....I don't see level 1 taking too long.

And, for the record, Team Hactar is: WiK, DiscipleOfJude, hexjunkie, and Melesse

Comment

Originally posted by valanx View Post
                            Seriously? I'm the only person signed up for the McGuyver one?
                            Cowards.
                            I beg pardon, Sir; coward is used here entirely inappropriately.

You will notice that my avatar is Sir Robin; this is not without reason.

And as everyone here should know, Sir Robin was no coward; he bravely ran away.

As do I. Think of it not as cowardice; think of it as intelligently weighing the odds, and bravely choosing a path with fewer three-headed monsters.

Anyway I too need additional members; please pm me if interested. I especially want at least one first-time Def Con attendee.

Comment

DT, please add El_Mariachi to team WTF-3

Ok, also some of you folks have had some chances to practice since last year. Foolishly, I put off getting samples until last month, and Uline is not playing nice.

So would anyone be interested in pooling practice resources? So in the pool, one person would purchase, say, 300 Metal Truck Seals, while another purchased 50 cable seals or whatever. We would then split them amongst the group.

This won't be cheap; you have to buy in bulk (unless someone has a suggestion?), plus mailing costs. However, it WOULD give a chance to really play with a handful of each item instead of just one sample.

Drop me a pm if you are interested! Time is almost out to do this...

Comment

Working...
                              X