Shoot sign-up and Lane reservation status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot sign-up and Lane reservation status

Just to keep people appraised of the situation, i'm going to try to maintain a "status" thread here regarding registrations and lanes. Currently, we have the following sign-ups locked in...

Shoot Participants - 50
    10:00 to 11:00 Lanes - 10 +2
    11:00 to 12:00 Lanes - 10 +2

There are some people who signed up for lanes after July 15. They are the two extra lanes referenced above. There will be one extra table on the firing line, but no canopy overhead, as specified in many posts and announcements leading up to the Shoot. Thus, the extra two lanes that will run both shifts.

People who register as Shoot attendees can use any lane, as long as the person controlling that lane says it's ok, as specified in this other thread.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 27, 2011, 20:51.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Shoot sign-up and Lane reservation status

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Still, if you haven't registered for the shoot by mid-July, i can't plan things perfectly and you might not get a "super duper primo" lane. I hope that folk think this is fair.
    <my two cents>I think that's fair . . . but fair or not, I think that's how it has to be. </my two cents>
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Comment

just to clarify, since i want to be above-board on all the numbers, etc. the canopy covers i am planning to have are 10' x 10' and cost $100 each for the day. they are able to accommodate two lanes under them (an eight foot table, costing $10, which is then shared by two parties) which may also have some chairs around

so two lanes, all told, will cost about $120 to operate with these conveniences. each lane is therefore $60 in overhead.

assuming that any lanes we set up like this will rent out for both shifts, that's $40 right there. thus, as long as one fully-paid shoot attendee is using each lane, things work out in a wash.

there are, of course, also the the lanes i'll be setting up (similar to this) for my RSOs and volunteer staff to use at their leisure (since we can't pay them for their time) so that's also a cost to be recovered.

two separate tent canopies will also be set up far back from the line... one for the Shoot Shop and the other as a general hangout, rest, avoid the sun area.

i think we're going to be alright with all these costs, maybe even have the extra money i want to spend on things like extra water, extra eyes and ears, etc. so, fingers crossed... this looks to be turning out ok.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Shooting in the shade is a real plus. Maybe if you have scantily clad models in heels walking around selling Red Bull, ammo, or hearing protection you can hit the marketing end of it too.

Comment

I'm cool with a smaller shoot this year, as long as you can cover your costs. Thanks for all your work.

Comment

If half of the lanes aren't reserved, can you make it so everyone that reserved a lane gets a full 2 hours? Even if only one hour of it is shaded.

Comment

I was thinking that 35 people could buy 35 lanes twice and lock the place up. I'm glad we all get along. :>

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
                If half of the lanes aren't reserved, can you make it so everyone that reserved a lane gets a full 2 hours? Even if only one hour of it is shaded.
                thankfully, right now we're at a perfect balance of lane reservations (7 for the first hour, 7 for the next)

i really don't want to get into dealings of "can you reduce rates / give free space" because it will play hell with (1) my attempts at covering overhead properly and (2) overall fairness and equity of people paying the same as everyone else (except for volunteers)

latest figures have us with 26 registered people. add to that our dozen staff members (half of whom are on at any given time) and we're looking just fine. i asked the rental place if our quoted rates will stay the same even if we get fewer canopies and tables and they said yes.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

If you woukd like another lane paid for, I can do that, but if you want to keep the 7/7 balance, I`ll ask nicely if the quiet english guy can share a lane with others :)

Comment

So two (well, three) questions:

1. Last year, they ran out of real badges EARLY. Like, shortly around the time we should get back from the shoot this year. So:
                    a. Can a person buy more than one badge at a time this year, without having to go to the back of the line?
                    b. Any word if they have more this year, at least enough until we can get back & stand in line?
                    If the answer to a. is yes, ignore b;

2. I reserved two hours on different lanes, but have been told that will involve considerable moving about of things. Is there a convenient way we could swap about, so that I have the same lane?

Thanks
                    The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

Originally posted by snideology View Post
                      Can a person buy more than one [DEFCON] badge at a time this year, without having to go to the back of the line?
                      TW or someone could correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this has always been the case... that you can buy as many as you have cash for when you reach the front of the line.

anyone know what the max ever has been?

I reserved two hours on different lanes, but have been told that will involve considerable moving about of things. Is there a convenient way we could swap about, so that I have the same lane?
                      thus far, among lane reservations, three parties have done the "double lane" thing. i'll be sure to give those folk priority in some way, possibly setting lanes aside for you in advance. all other lanes will be first come, first serve when people are signing in on the site.

no worries, i know how it can suck to move all that shit around.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

So two (well, three) questions:

1. Last year, they ran out of real badges EARLY. Like, shortly around the time we should get back from the shoot this year. So:
                        a. Can a person buy more than one badge at a time this year, without having to go to the back of the line?
                        I think last year we bought 5 badges when we hit the front of the line. There were two of us.

Comment

it is now the 15th of July and i'd like to congratulate T.P. and LittleVoice for being the last folk to reserve shooting lanes before the deadline.

we now have a final total of 8 lanes for the first hour and 9 lanes for the second hour. since there has to be an even number of lanes (see the other thread where i talk about splitting canopy space) i am going to do the following...

i will rent 6 canopies and 6 tables for the main lanes. that translates to 12 shooting lanes, all of which should fit on the "A" range without any problems.

during the first hour of the event, there will be three staff lanes, eight rented lanes, and one spare lane (which i still may allow someone to reserve, or which will be an additional staff lane)

during the second hour of the event, there will be three staff lanes and nine rented lanes.

other folk can still register as shooters for the event in order to get badges which grant them access to...

1. the covered shooting lanes, if someone wants to let you share their space
                          2. the Shoot Shop for snacks, targets, and other supplies
                          3. the free water, eyes, and ears if you need it
                          4. the chillout tent which will be set back a ways and have chairs, etc.
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

If i rent another lane to even it up, do I get the whole table? Would that help? I worry about running out of room.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                              If i rent another lane to even it up, do I get the whole table? Would that help? I worry about running out of room.
                              do you mean if you rent an additional lane from 10:00 to 11:00? yes, i am confident that i can position you next to yourself, so to speak, so that you have a whole table and your own tent.

in fact, do not rent it... i'm just marking you down that way. my gift to you for all of your help with the Traveling Terabyte Project.

it's in my notes, and now all future folk who register lanes can still have their own dedicated space and tables, but cannot be guaranteed canopy cover since i have to lock that part of the reservation in.
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X