free attendance for kids 12 and under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free attendance for kids 12 and under

inspired by some conversation in the DefConKids thread, i'd like to point out that young 'uns have always been welcome at any of my shooting events, and the DEFCON Shoot is no exception.

as long as they are accompanied by a responsible adult (it's at our discretion how to interpret that qualifier!) they're welcome to join us, and can participate fully free of charge if they're not yet a teenager.

(i hope that no one has registered a kid already, if you have... email or PM me and i'll refund you)

we may have to work out some rules pertaining to how many kids you can potentially accompany (i feel that anything more than three or four kids tied to one adult is starting to strain how effectively they can monitor them all, keep them safe, etc) but i am hopeful that this could work out well.

i may add something to the registration system to facilitate registering kids in advance, even if it costs $0.00

what is the most fair way of handling kids who are 13 - 17 years old? should they be charged half price? i still would want them accompanied by a responsible adult if they are under 18.

(i'm still learning and adapting things as i go... i really appreciate how understanding and helpful every is being with all of this, as we learn what works and what doesn't)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: free attendance for kids 12 and under

i've updated the registration system and the web site accordingly. hopefully we'll see some kids out there on the firing lines with us.

bonus points if they bring Jonas Brothers or Justin Bieber CDs to use as targets, as an awesome coming-of-age demonstration that they have outgrown tween-pop. maybe i'll bring albums by the Ramones and Joan Jett and the Beastie Boys to give away as prizes to anyone who successfully destroys the targets listed above.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post

bonus points if they bring Jonas Brothers or Justin Bieber CDs to use as targets, as an awesome coming-of-age demonstration that they have outgrown tween-pop...
      Deviant Ollam.

Justin Bieber.

Karaoke.

And now back to your regularly scheduled DEFCON Shoot.
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

It's hard enough to control the line with adult shooters out there, I don't know if this is the best idea. Seems like at any given moment half the people on the line are folks firing a gun for the very first time and that's a lot to be keeping an eye on. Much like the DefconKids event itself, I think this might be another case of 'great idea, but not during defcon'.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

the way i envision it is basically one step short of a leash-based tether... anyone registering kids will get a special badge to that effect... kids are only allowed to be around (and considered in violation of rules unless) if their supervisor is within about 6' of them. we'll see what we can see (and we have had ZERO kid or teen sign-ups yet) and i plan to step in at any time there is a problem with this.
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            the way i envision it is basically one step short of a leash-based tether...
            Just to be fair to many youths. I believe the concerns about them should be no different than any other shooter.

My kids have been around firearms their entire lives, they have been on many indoor ranges and also shooting outside in open space. They understand and respect weapons. Use eyes and ears when practicing and are pro-actively aware of everyone around them, Both when they are firing as well as when other shooters are firing.

I have observed many more IGNORANT adults with weapons then kids. Most respect the weapons more than adults do, because it's a privilege not a right. I cannot remember ever seeing a kid using a weapon after or while consuming alcohol, but know of many adults who have.

Caution is always smart, but let's not make it a big issue just because a shooter may be younger than ourselves. The older I get it seems everyone is to young!

Comment

My initial reaction was the same as Noid's, but considering the lower registration numbers so far, I think it's going to be fine. Besides I can't see more than a few people actually bringing their kids to defcon or the shoot, so it shouldn't be out of hand.

Comment

Working...
              X