• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The D20 of ...

Destruction?
    Devastation?
    Drunkenness?

So last year the Psychoholics set the bar by using the giant metal D20 of programming languages to make the decision as to which programming language (most of which they had not used to program in prior to the contest) to use for each problem.

Despite that we still managed fourth place (and drank the most beer)

I'll be bringing the D20 again this year. Who has the guts to try using the D20 as their dev environment?
    perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Re: The D20 of ...

That d20 was fucking METAL! In more ways than one.

When we started watching the competition last year, we thought that everyone had to program in the language that got rolled on the d20. Which is why we thought several teams were just sitting there staring blankly at a Google screen.

We were watching last year and I said "man, it would be hard to be competitive in all those languages" and this mega-tool in front of us whirled around in a geek rage and said "no, it wouldn't be hard at all! You'd just have to..." and then you could see even his diminished social skills center of his brain start firing red alerts about how douchey he was being and realizing that all of us were going to start asking him questions about Smalltalk and several other languages, and he shut up after giving us a superior glare. Hopefully he will not be there because he is ueber-smrt!!!!1

By the way, what languages did you roll last year? What languages are on the die this year? And how did you do on the contests?

I'm taking a different tactic and writing all the programs in a language I've developed. I'm not sure which is more dangerous. How many drinks do I have to drink if I uncover a bug in my own language?

Comment

Originally posted by Fletch F Fletch View Post
      That d20 was fucking METAL! In more ways than one.

When we started watching the competition last year, we thought that everyone had to program in the language that got rolled on the d20. Which is why we thought several teams were just sitting there staring blankly at a Google screen.

We were watching last year and I said "man, it would be hard to be competitive in all those languages" and this mega-tool in front of us whirled around in a geek rage and said "no, it wouldn't be hard at all! You'd just have to..." and then you could see even his diminished social skills center of his brain start firing red alerts about how douchey he was being and realizing that all of us were going to start asking him questions about Smalltalk and several other languages, and he shut up after giving us a superior glare. Hopefully he will not be there because he is ueber-smrt!!!!1

By the way, what languages did you roll last year? What languages are on the die this year? And how did you do on the contests?

I'm taking a different tactic and writing all the programs in a language I've developed. I'm not sure which is more dangerous. How many drinks do I have to drink if I uncover a bug in my own language?
      So last year, the die had:

ADA
      C
      C#
      C++
      Drink++
      Forth
      Fortran
      Go
      Java
      LUA
      Lisp
      Lolcode
      Obj.C
      PHP
      Perl
      Prolog
      Python
      Ruby
      Scheme
      Smalltalk

And we had working dev environments for each of these languages. Drink++ being where everyone other than us had to take a drink. Though I when we rolled that, we drank anyway, because why not. We only knew how to actually program in 6 of the languages. The rest, we got hello world working, and called it good.

We rolled C, Obj.C, Scheme, Python, ADA, and Java

Though we didn't roll it, for C#, we were going to write a GUI.
      Last edited by krux; July 17, 2011, 20:11.
      perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Comment

The d20 is indeed Fucking Metal. \m/, >_<

krux: You haven't mentioned what you're planning on this year. I've seen you talking about it on Twitter, so I assume it's public? Want to tell everyone how hard core (as in memory) you are this year?

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
          The d20 is indeed Fucking Metal. \m/, >_<

krux: You haven't mentioned what you're planning on this year. I've seen you talking about it on Twitter, so I assume it's public? Want to tell everyone how hard core (as in memory) you are this year?
          Not yet, there has been a minor setback in the planning. As soon as we get past that perhaps.

-fish

Comment

Working...
          X