Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official #BloodKode Challenge Thread ~:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official #BloodKode Challenge Thread ~:-)

Q: What can you get a hacker that has it all?!?

A: How about some blood & bone marrow!

BarKode—Ninja extraordinaire—needs our help. More info here: http://barkodestatus.tumblr.com/

The thread that stated it all is here: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=12279

Enter the #BloodKode Challenge! ~:-)

There will be two types of entries into the challenge:

BASIC --- Raffle with normal prizes.

---------------------------------------------------

You need to go to a local blood donor center donate for BarKode. (Notify your nurse that you want your blood to be a directed donation—a replacement pint–for Matt Lewis (11/4/1979) at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Los Angeles.) Get proof you did so & bring it to DEFCON. You will need to bring your proof to a booth at DefCon to sign up, which will then make you eligible to win one of the "normal" prizes. No worries if you have already done so before the challenge—just bring in the proof!

EXTREME --- Raffle with AWESOME prizes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to get your picture taken in the most creative way possible, preferably with a picture or cut out of Barkode with you WHILE you are giving blood at your local blood donor center & provide proof that it went to Barkode. People who do that will be in the running for the 1st tier prizes (Chris Summer has donated a DEFCON skate board that we will get the DEFCON speakers, goons etc. to sign.) Plus other cool goodies!

Please submit your photos here now: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=12351

Bring your proof to DefCon

GRAND PRIZE -- There is only 1.

--------------------------------------------------

A healthy BarKode! No one should forget that it's not about the prizes: It's about helping out one of our own!

Mowhawks for Matt

-----------------------

The other part of this challenge is that Jayson E. Street & Geo have agreed to get Mohawks if we get 300 people to donate for BarKode. They will also try to convince (bully) ;-) others to get involved and put their hair on the line as well.

This will occur on Saturday at 6:00 PM at the MohawkCon booth, thanks to their helpful support. More about MohawkCon here: http://m.ohawk.me/

FYI: We will have a blood center ONSITE! for people to donate for sure during the day on Friday & hopefully Saturday.

Please note though we don't want BarKode to get alcohol poisoning so be careful about what you drink before & AFTER donating! ~;-)

ALSO if you are considering this, please DONATE NOW in your town, and save the spaces for people that might not hear about #bloodkode until they are at DefCon.

Re: The Official #BloodKode Challenge Thread ~:-)

Forum created. This forum will remain open through to the end of Defcon 19, but will close some time before 2012. If there are plans to bring this back next year, I'll have a call for returning contests/events for Defcon 20 before the forums for contests/events at Defcon 19 are closed. If this comes back for Defcon 20, then it will have a different forum, and different URL.

I have added the twitter hashtag-search as a link in the forum description which is presently:
    Originally posted by description
    Q: What can you get a hacker that has it all?!?
    A: How about some blood & bone marrow!
    (Twitter: #BloodKode)
    Please let me know if you want to change and what you want to change it to read.

Also, do you have any other URL? A twitter feed for this? Facebook page? Site? Wiki? Something else thats should be linked from the description? Please let me know.

Good luck!

Comment

Dont need entered in any raffle, but to show that he is receiving support, I have become a registered marrow donor. (for matt!)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        Forum created. This forum will remain open through to the end of Defcon 19, but will close some time before 2012. If there are plans to bring this back next year, I'll have a call for returning contests/events for Defcon 20 before the forums for contests/events at Defcon 19 are closed. If this comes back for Defcon 20, then it will have a different forum, and different URL.

I have added the twitter hashtag-search as a link in the forum description which is presently:

Please let me know if you want to change and what you want to change it to read.

Also, do you have any other URL? A twitter feed for this? Facebook page? Site? Wiki? Something else thats should be linked from the description? Please let me know.

Good luck!
        Looks great thanks for the help! ~:-)

Comment

Originally posted by hevnsnt View Post
          Dont need entered in any raffle, but to show that he is receiving support, I have become a registered marrow donor. (for matt!)
          You ROCK! ~:-)

Comment

Jayson,
            If you talk to chris before I get a chance tell him to get in contact with me if he needs help again getting it signed.

Comment

Originally posted by slimm609 View Post
              Jayson,
              If you talk to chris before I get a chance tell him to get in contact with me if he needs help again getting it signed.
              For sure will do thanks ~:-)

Comment

Great idea, but I don't need a contest.

I'm on the list, and have been a blood donor since I was 17. I hope all the efforts help Matt, I'll do anything else that I can do to help.

Best wishes Barkode !

Comment

Hello here is the promised update.

1. We have the blood drive scheduled from 12 – 5pm on Friday august 5th

2. If you notice it is only a 5 hour window so PLEASE do not wait till DEFCON donate now!

3. SecurityBarbie brings up once again a very important point that it's not about a contest but helping out an awesome guy!

4. Please remember that the #BloodKode challenge blood drive is a short term fix. BarKode needs a bone marrow transplant to get well.

5. You can find out more information on Be the match here. https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=558

6. There is a Ninja in need so my only question is..."Where's my Ninjas at?!?!"

~:-)
                  Last edited by Jayson.Street; July 20, 2011, 06:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayson.Street View Post
                    Hello here is the promised update.

1. We have the blood drive scheduled from 12 – 5pm on Friday august 5th

2. If you notice it is only a 5 hour window so PLEASE do not wait till DEFCON donate now!

3. SecurityBarbie brings up once again a very important point that it's not about a contest but helping out an awesome guy!

4. Please remember that the #BloodKode challenge blood drive is a short term fix. BarKode needs a bone marrow transplant to get well.

5. You can find out more information on Be the match here. https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=558

6. There is a Ninja in need so my only question is..."Where's my Ninjas at?!?!"

~:-)
                    That f-n sucks, because we put in the program it would be Friday AND Saturday 10-7. Sooo..... crap.
                    "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                      That f-n sucks, because we put in the program it would be Friday AND Saturday 10-7. Sooo..... crap.
                      Oh shit. That's going to be super confusing....to thousands of people....
                      "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

~:-( maybe we can just have someone there during that time directing them to The be the match booth. We can let them know it is a long term solution for BarKode and less painful.

If they are really upset about it we can stick them like a pincushion then send them over to the be the match booth ~;-)
                        Last edited by Jayson.Street; July 21, 2011, 07:28.

Comment

I will be donating tomorrow and will register as a marrow donor. It will be a kick if BarKode has *MY* blood in his veins! I wonder if the N00B and blood of virgins will help or hurt him...? I will also get a photo of him with me if I can to kick that thread off.

I will not be entering the raffle though since I am staff and it wouldn't be right.

But perhaps there is something you can come up with where I can do something as a part of hitting the 300 person goal? Dunk tank, behind the scenes tour of DC with me as the tour guide, throw tomatoes at me, etc...

I can't do a Mohawk because I am a participant in Saint Baldrick's Day and thus will have little to no hair for you to shave I am afraid.
                          Lving my life in the gutter so you don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by priest View Post
                            I will be donating tomorrow and will register as a marrow donor. It will be a kick if BarKode has *MY* blood in his veins! I wonder if the N00B and blood of virgins will help or hurt him...? I will also get a photo of him with me if I can to kick that thread off.

I will not be entering the raffle though since I am staff and it wouldn't be right.

But perhaps there is something you can come up with where I can do something as a part of hitting the 300 person goal? Dunk tank, behind the scenes tour of DC with me as the tour guide, throw tomatoes at me, etc...

I can't do a Mohawk because I am a participant in Saint Baldrick's Day and thus will have little to no hair for you to shave I am afraid.
                            That is awesome and a tour by you counts as a tier 1 prize ~:-) will post that news on twitter thanks for the support!

Comment

i had some trouble with the Red Cross today... telling me that in order to do a directed donation i need a prescription from the recipient's doctor, which is then taken to a pharmacy and turned into a Donor Tag and then that is brought to the donation site.

lots of steps, boy... and here my cutout of Barkode and i were all ready to take some photos.
                              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X