X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sintax_error
    replied
    Re: lane signage, attendee badge policy

Significant Other, Superior Officer (wait, one and the same).

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    replied

Originally posted by snideology View Post

Wait what's an S.O?
    significant other I think, something to do with marriage

Leave a comment:

• snideology
    replied

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    If you do not want to be filmed you should not go out in public. 97% of the people who do not want to be filmed really just hate how they look on camera. 2% told their S.O. they were somewhere else, and 1% are wanted or under cover.
    How about those of us who qualify for all three?

Wait what's an S.O?

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by ButterSnatcher View Post
    Should i have gone unfree.?
    canada is right on the fence, since you actually can have guns but they make it stupid annoying to go through the process. PM me here on the forums with your email address (the one used with PayPal) and i'll refund you $5.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Originally posted by Toothpaste View Post
    From the north here, I went for unfree. Primarily for attendee statistics, I'd be interested in knowing how many unfrees are coming.

As a Canadian, I presume you've read about the PAL?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possess...sition_Licence
    I too went for unfree reg, but that was mostly taking advantage of all my American friends laughing at our country and it's inane laws. If they laugh and call it unfree, I'll take the discount :)

Leave a comment:

• Toothpaste
    replied

Originally posted by ButterSnatcher View Post
    I paid just the reg fee cause the extra 5 bucks didn't bother me but i'm from ont canada where you pretty much cant have a gun unless your a cop as far as i know. Should i have gone unfree.?
    From the north here, I went for unfree. Primarily for attendee statistics, I'd be interested in knowing how many unfrees are coming.

As a Canadian, I presume you've read about the PAL?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possess...sition_Licence

Leave a comment:

• ButterSnatcher
    replied

I paid just the reg fee cause the extra 5 bucks didn't bother me but i'm from ont canada where you pretty much cant have a gun unless your a cop as far as i know. Should i have gone unfree.?

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

If you do not want to be filmed you should not go out in public. 97% of the people who do not want to be filmed really just hate how they look on camera. 2% told their S.O. they were somewhere else, and 1% are wanted or under cover.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Put those who wish to remain invisible on an end lane, set up your camera past their lane facing the rest of the lanes.
    With lane reservations, won't this be difficult? It is possible that people that don't want to be filmed will be spread throughout the different lanes, as lanes are numbered... (Who says lanes have to be numbered in sequence? :-)

Of course, it may be possible to convince Deviant Ollam to move those numbers for lanes of people that don't want to be filmed to one end, but that would likely mean moving tent/covers, and would probably be too much work.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Put those who wish to remain invisible on an end lane, set up your camera past their lane facing the rest of the lanes.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

As far as anyone using your physical image on film, we are shooting on pubic land. You can NOT deny the use of your image for editorial and news purposes. You CAN deny your image being used as an advertisement which is highly unlikely anyway. If the press shows up and wants to report on the "Defcon shoot event" they can take pictures and you cannot stop them. You may even be arrested if you try. The most you can do is make yourself unphotogenic.
    I plan to shoot video and still images at the first part of the shoot. (I will be leaving the shoot early.) Though legally, there are rights to shoot people in public that have no expectation of privacy, the last time I shot we DID ask if anyone did not want to be in any videos or stills. There were only 3 people that did not want to be filmed. I did my best to avoid shooting them, but this is difficult when I leave a camera running and they walked across my field of recording. When that happened, I had to edit them out after filming was finished. (It really would make it easier to avoid people that don't want to be filmed if a system like the pink tape/flag could be used.)

2 Year ago, another method was suggested for people that did not want to be on film which was use of special pink tape/flags or stickers. I am happy to abide by requests to not be filmed.

If it works like last time, I plan to ask after the introduction if anyone does not want to be filmed, and hopefully we can make some sort of arrangement to allow me to recognize you, and avoid shooting you. If you walk across my shot, I will do my best to edit you out, when I get home. (It would also help if I could take a still picture of you from behind, neck-down, or something like a unique tee shirt design, so I can use that as a reference of who not to film, unless we have some sort of other way to identify you when filming and later when editing if you happen to stroll into the field of view.)

Leave a comment:

• flirzan
    replied

Don't be surprised if they print it and write a less than friendly story. Remember they don't care about us, they care about a story, any story. Just don't give them one if you don't want anything out there.
    Which means don't show up with balaclavas to protect your identity, because then the story becomes "OMG HAX0R TERRORISTS IZ TRAINING IN THE DEZERT!!!!1!"

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Originally posted by seeess View Post
    Flipping them off usually works
    Don't be surprised if they print it and write a less than friendly story. Remember they don't care about us, they care about a story, any story. Just don't give them one if you don't want anything out there.

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    replied

You may even be arrested if you try. The most you can do is make yourself unphotogenic.
    Flipping them off usually works

And thinking about this in the daylight, I agree with astcell. We won't have any expectation of privacy, so people can do whatever they want with cameras (regardless of what you want).

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    what is the consequence of uploading to a private site (say, your own gallery on your own domain, like 23b) that is public-facing?
    23b is owned by another person and while I do not recall his rules, he will have final say. In normal law the copyright is possessed by the photographer unless otherwise agreed upon. I have shot many images which end up used by other for personal use, which is fine. Now and then I see others claiming my work to be theirs. Then I get bothered. I plan to take slo-mo video at the shoot. While I appreciate a byline I won't cry if it doesn't happen.

As far as anyone using your physical image on film, we are shooting on pubic land. You can NOT deny the use of your image for editorial and news purposes. You CAN deny your image being used as an advertisement which is highly unlikely anyway. If the press shows up and wants to report on the "Defcon shoot event" they can take pictures and you cannot stop them. You may even be arrested if you try. The most you can do is make yourself unphotogenic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X