Too late to participate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late to participate?

This will be my first DEFCON I'm attending (doing Black Hat and DEFCON), but I'm really interested in attending this, not only for the enjoyment of shooting things, but the chance to meet up with some new people.

The registration page is still up, allowing Paypal folks to still register, however, I read in the thread that you had closed up shop. Before I pay the 20 bucks to Paypal, I wanted to make sure it would still be valid?

Also, how does the gun sharing work? I wont be bringing any firearms with me, but would like to rent or borrow one from someone else. Is this usually allowed?

Last question - If the previous answers are yes, since I'll be staying over at Planet Hollywood all week, if I'm interested in caravaning over, do I just meet up at the designated time in the Rio parking lot?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Too late to participate?

I hope I don't step on any toes by speaking to what is probably Deviant Ollam's question to answer, but I know he's already in Vegas and doing blackhat stuff so he might not see this for a while.

As per Devian'ts comments here, reservation is officially closed. That doesn't mean you aren't welcome at the shoot, it just means you likely won't get one of the fancy covered lanes with a table all to yourself. You can still show up to the shoot, but you need to bring cash.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Comment

Other questions have been answered. I'll take this one:
      Originally posted by Verio View Post
      Also, how does the gun sharing work? I wont be bringing any firearms with me, but would like to rent or borrow one from someone else. Is this usually allowed?
      Every person that brings weapons controls access to their weapons. Some people with .22 cal firearms may welcome "free" shooting of a few rounds, while people with larger caliber ammunition and weapons may choose to be more exclusive or restrictive, because it costs quite a bit more.

If you have an interest in firing someone else's weapon, you should ask that person. They may say no. (Maybe they don't know, and therefore don't trust you, or maybe they have other reasons.) They may ask for you to buy your own ammo. They may require that you only use ammo they brought, and pay their rates. (People are picky.) Express an interest in firing the weapons that people have, strike up a conversation, and maybe they will offer a deal.

Even if they do not ask for cash, it would be respectful to offer some sort of cash to the people that are kind enough to share access to their weapon and provide you with ammo to shoot using money from their pocket to provide you joy. Some may choose not to accept it, but offer it anyway... they have had to deal with the hassle of flying with firearms, finding a safe place to store them while they are at Defcon, transport of them to the DC Shoot, and cash expenses.

Choosing NOT to offer something as a thank you (even if not requested) could easily lead to burn-out among those that are willing and able to give so much of their time, energy, and life to share something that brings them joy.

Thanks!
      Good luck!

Comment

I'll speak as a firearms owner. I never went to the shoot when I did not own firearms, but I wanted to go. I thought borrowing someone's pistol would be like borrowing their underwear. It's just not gonna happen and may get you ejected.

Come to find out it is all in the attitude. Some folks feel they are entitled (welfare word) to walk in, abuse your stuff, then leave. The only people who can do this are goons because it's an honor to have them like your stuff.

My ammo costs from 50 cents to two bucks a round. Add on transport, security, insurance and above all MY GOD CLEANING these things. It's quite an investment. I am willing to share, but think of it like I have a bag of M&Ms. You see me and drool. Well you get 2 or 3 M&Ms, not half the bag, and not the keys to my M&M stash. Actually if you drool you get bitchslapped. be respectable.

I had a PM this evening from a guy who wants to shoot, has no idea what ammo costs, and wants to read up on firearm safety to get a heads up before coming to the shoot. He wants to shoot something I'm bringing and he wants to know if he needs to buy ammo, get it there, or if I have ammo. Now in this case, nothing can go wrong. And by making your post above you are in the same category.

I advise that if you are under 21 and wish to shoot a pistol or under 18 and wish to shoot anything that you get parental consent. Well maybe not the 21 part but definitely the 18 part. There's no guarantee this will work for the firearm owner but it at least puts you in the responsible category.

If you are new to guns say so. If you know all about guns that's nice but you don't know MY guns. If you never shot a certain model and are dying to and it is at the shoot, it is your lucky day.

Comment

all the answers in here are terrific and spot-on and i appreciate folk chiming in... since, yes, i am indeed neck-deep in Black Hat whatnot and can't write easily.

and you all are much nicer than me. this late in the game i'm just responding to emails about the shoot by essentially saying "you fail at life and at Google if you can't figure it out on your own"
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Thank you for the responses. If anything, I'll just tag along and check out some cool weapons. I own a few weapons myself, but the pain of getting them shipped around the country is something I don't really enjoy (only had the pleasure once), so I totally understand the respect that's required for the folks that do bring their own weapons to the shoot. Like I said, if anything, at least I'll get to meet some cool people for my first con.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X