LINES LINES LINES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LINES LINES LINES

Most of the talks weren't full this year, which was great! All of the talk rooms had DOUBLE the capacity of the Riv.

But there were still lines, which lines were the worst? What were handled poorly or well? What could be improved for next year?

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Re: LINES LINES LINES

I think I said on my blog after day 1 I didn't miss any talks because of lines for the rooms. I think I did skip one one the second day because it had a bit of a line, that was just laziness really because I know others got into that talk with no problem.

The only line that I saw as a problem was the registration line but it’s a conference with about 10,000 people wanting to register with no pre registration and everyone paying in cash so this issue will never go away

Comment

Lines for food at Rio and Rio prices drove me off-site for dinner many nights. We found better prices equal or better food, and no waiting.

The line for picking up badges was really long. I did not realize how long until it was obvious that in parts it was single-file, and snaked a full length of a segment and back again.

Security Goons did a great job in keeping the line from bunching up near the front, and prevented blockages in the side of the hallway where people were traveling back from buying badges, or walking to/from some other destination. Breaks in the lines were also good ideas, to allow people to cross a line without running into people. I did not see a lot of yelling by goons, so I am guessing people did not have to get told too often.

The only event where people were at risk of not getting to see a presentation was one in the P&T room, where In the morning there was a talk by Moxie M. followed by another by Dan K., and Priest informed people in the room that they would have to exit the room after Moxie's talk and then get in line for Dan's talk behind the people in the line for Dan's talk. I am not sure if this actually lead to the room being emptied, as I watched Moxie's talk from my room and saw Priest on TV with this announcement just before I headed down to the con.

Comment

"DIY Non-Destructive Entry", in track 4, was one of the few talks I tried to attend - but it was over capacity.
        It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

i really would love it if some people (sponsors, companies, etc) chipped in and put together some of the luxury viewing lounges that were discussed on the forums a while back. awesome couches, bar service, etc etc... all with a specific talk being broadcast on a big screen, full sound, etc.

if a room held about 50 or 60 people that way, it would make a great overflow space... provided you had the credentials to get in. (could be anything from listening to a vendor pitch to solving a puzzle, etc)

Seriously, imagine if a company (let's say "G6 Networking") wanted to get their name out more. A classy way to sponsor DEFCON would be to sponsor one of these viewing lounges. "Take in the talks like a G6" hehe... cool atmosphere, perhaps subsidized drinks (free ones wouldn't be necessary at all, i think. maybe drink coupons, though) some company info on signs or tabletop cards... not a bad way, and very non-intrusive marketing, i think. if you don't want to be exposed to this company's promotional materials, you could stand in lines or watch talks from your room.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            i really would love it if some people (sponsors, companies, etc) chipped in and put together some of the luxury viewing lounges that were discussed on the forums a while back. awesome couches, bar service, etc etc... all with a specific talk being broadcast on a big screen, full sound, etc.

if a room held about 50 or 60 people that way, it would make a great overflow space... provided you had the credentials to get in. (could be anything from listening to a vendor pitch to solving a puzzle, etc)

Seriously, imagine if a company (let's say "G6 Networking") wanted to get their name out more. A classy way to sponsor DEFCON would be to sponsor one of these viewing lounges. "Take in the talks like a G6" hehe... cool atmosphere, perhaps subsidized drinks (free ones wouldn't be necessary at all, i think. maybe drink coupons, though) some company info on signs or tabletop cards... not a bad way, and very non-intrusive marketing, i think. if you don't want to be exposed to this company's promotional materials, you could stand in lines or watch talks from your room.
            Historically, Defcon has not been sponsored. Specific events, contests, parties or social gatherings run by community members have rolled with sponsors. For something like this to work and for Defcon itself to avoid having sponsors, someone from the community would have to head, staff and organize something like this and be responsible for this, and then arrange for sponsors if that is what they wanted to do.

Personally, I often worry that sponsorship will taint the community effort with incentives, and create a kind of competition against volunteer-run events without sponsors, which may lead organizers to pay for more out-of-pocket expenses, or a shift of costs to the people that want to attend the contests, events, social gathering or party.

But is becoming more and more obvious that I am part of a shrinking minority. (I'm not saying asking for money or sponsorship is necessarily bad, but I am saying it often brings undesired changes.)
            Last edited by TheCotMan; August 14, 2011, 12:26.

Comment

I know the DC TV to my room was used quite a bit in catching some of the talks.

The only thing it did not show was the slides, but they announced that is something they are going to do next year. Watch speaker, cut to slide = Win!

-BK-

Comment

I think it would be actually pretty easy to do this from an all-volunteer direction. Not quite as plush as Deviant's idea, but still workable.

1) we'd have to get a sizable space, that's quiet enough to at least hear what's going on. This requires assistance from Defcon staff.
                2) we need a projector / TV. someone will *probably* be able to provide this
                3) we need chairs. The conference host (Rio/whoever) could possibly provide these, or we could figure out how to bring in couches. (insert hacker ingenuity here)

Anything beyond that can be user-driven, really. Food, drinks, music, atmosphere. etc. If no talks are over capacity, the space could show DCTV filler, or some other random content.

Comment

Why not set up one's room at the Rio to hold viewing parties?
                  “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
                    Why not set up one's room at the Rio to hold viewing parties?
                    because the rooms at the Rio are eighteen fucking miles from the con space, through dark woods, brambles, and chain-smoking slot machine addicts.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      because the rooms at the Rio are eighteen fucking miles from the con space, through dark woods, brambles, and chain-smoking slot machine addicts.
                      It's not that bad. And besides, I think as a group, we could use the exercise.

-BK-

Comment

Can we add hot waitresses -- no Bikini Waitresses and a open bar..Yes! This could work. Maybe at the Hottubs...

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                        I think it would be actually pretty easy to do this from an all-volunteer direction. Not quite as plush as Deviant's idea, but still workable.

1) we'd have to get a sizable space, that's quiet enough to at least hear what's going on. This requires assistance from Defcon staff.
                        2) we need a projector / TV. someone will *probably* be able to provide this
                        3) we need chairs. The conference host (Rio/whoever) could possibly provide these, or we could figure out how to bring in couches. (insert hacker ingenuity here)

Anything beyond that can be user-driven, really. Food, drinks, music, atmosphere. etc. If no talks are over capacity, the space could show DCTV filler, or some other random content.
                        +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                          "DIY Non-Destructive Entry", in track 4, was one of the few talks I tried to attend - but it was over capacity.
                          I came in about 2 minutes before it started and still got a seat, no line. It helps to not be afraid to take seats in the middle of a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post
                            I came in about 2 minutes before it started and still got a seat, no line. It helps to not be afraid to take seats in the middle of a row.
                            interesting. I was in line, just before the talk's scheduled start, and the goons announced that it was 'full', and people not near the front of the line would likely not be allowed in.

The line was quite long, stretching past LosT's sticker, overflowing on the other side of the hall.

Comment

I was surprised to find that the line for the DefCon Cafe was almost non existent. There was quite the line for Starbucks, but then again if someone like me who doesn't drink coffee is in line for Starbucks, then you can bet other people are feeling the lack of sleep also. The only presentation line I stood through was the comedy presentation, but it wasn't all that bad. It moved quickly and there were seats available. Also, it was well worth the wait! XD

Comment

Working...
                              X