• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Re: LINES LINES LINES

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    i really would love it if some people (sponsors, companies, etc) chipped in and put together some of the luxury viewing lounges that were discussed on the forums a while back. awesome couches, bar service, etc etc... all with a specific talk being broadcast on a big screen, full sound, etc.

if a room held about 50 or 60 people that way, it would make a great overflow space... provided you had the credentials to get in. (could be anything from listening to a vendor pitch to solving a puzzle, etc)

Seriously, imagine if a company (let's say "G6 Networking") wanted to get their name out more. A classy way to sponsor DEFCON would be to sponsor one of these viewing lounges. "Take in the talks like a G6" hehe... cool atmosphere, perhaps subsidized drinks (free ones wouldn't be necessary at all, i think. maybe drink coupons, though) some company info on signs or tabletop cards... not a bad way, and very non-intrusive marketing, i think. if you don't want to be exposed to this company's promotional materials, you could stand in lines or watch talks from your room.
    Historically, Defcon has not been sponsored. Specific events, contests, parties or social gatherings run by community members have rolled with sponsors. For something like this to work and for Defcon itself to avoid having sponsors, someone from the community would have to head, staff and organize something like this and be responsible for this, and then arrange for sponsors if that is what they wanted to do.

Personally, I often worry that sponsorship will taint the community effort with incentives, and create a kind of competition against volunteer-run events without sponsors, which may lead organizers to pay for more out-of-pocket expenses, or a shift of costs to the people that want to attend the contests, events, social gathering or party.

But is becoming more and more obvious that I am part of a shrinking minority. (I'm not saying asking for money or sponsorship is necessarily bad, but I am saying it often brings undesired changes.)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; August 14, 2011, 13:26.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

i really would love it if some people (sponsors, companies, etc) chipped in and put together some of the luxury viewing lounges that were discussed on the forums a while back. awesome couches, bar service, etc etc... all with a specific talk being broadcast on a big screen, full sound, etc.

if a room held about 50 or 60 people that way, it would make a great overflow space... provided you had the credentials to get in. (could be anything from listening to a vendor pitch to solving a puzzle, etc)

Seriously, imagine if a company (let's say "G6 Networking") wanted to get their name out more. A classy way to sponsor DEFCON would be to sponsor one of these viewing lounges. "Take in the talks like a G6" hehe... cool atmosphere, perhaps subsidized drinks (free ones wouldn't be necessary at all, i think. maybe drink coupons, though) some company info on signs or tabletop cards... not a bad way, and very non-intrusive marketing, i think. if you don't want to be exposed to this company's promotional materials, you could stand in lines or watch talks from your room.

Leave a comment:

• YenTheFirst
    replied

"DIY Non-Destructive Entry", in track 4, was one of the few talks I tried to attend - but it was over capacity.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Lines for food at Rio and Rio prices drove me off-site for dinner many nights. We found better prices equal or better food, and no waiting.

The line for picking up badges was really long. I did not realize how long until it was obvious that in parts it was single-file, and snaked a full length of a segment and back again.

Security Goons did a great job in keeping the line from bunching up near the front, and prevented blockages in the side of the hallway where people were traveling back from buying badges, or walking to/from some other destination. Breaks in the lines were also good ideas, to allow people to cross a line without running into people. I did not see a lot of yelling by goons, so I am guessing people did not have to get told too often.

The only event where people were at risk of not getting to see a presentation was one in the P&T room, where In the morning there was a talk by Moxie M. followed by another by Dan K., and Priest informed people in the room that they would have to exit the room after Moxie's talk and then get in line for Dan's talk behind the people in the line for Dan's talk. I am not sure if this actually lead to the room being emptied, as I watched Moxie's talk from my room and saw Priest on TV with this announcement just before I headed down to the con.

Leave a comment:

• securityninja
    replied

I think I said on my blog after day 1 I didn't miss any talks because of lines for the rooms. I think I did skip one one the second day because it had a bit of a line, that was just laziness really because I know others got into that talk with no problem.

The only line that I saw as a problem was the registration line but it’s a conference with about 10,000 people wanting to register with no pre registration and everyone paying in cash so this issue will never go away

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    started a topic LINES LINES LINES

LINES LINES LINES

Most of the talks weren't full this year, which was great! All of the talk rooms had DOUBLE the capacity of the Riv.

But there were still lines, which lines were the worst? What were handled poorly or well? What could be improved for next year?

Kallahar
Working...
X