Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Cooling at DEFCON 20

Hey hey all,

After over half a decade of running the Beer Cooling Contraption Contest in one form or another, i announced my intention to step down at the end of this year's incarnation of the event.

After quite some time, and a lot of chatter among the community, Uncle Enzo has stepped up beyond all others and shown the most interest in taking over for the future. He'll be running the event going forward, and i hope that CotMan will make the necessary permission adjustments to the forums (assuming that he has an account now or at least soon, hehe) and that we'll see all of you at the event again for DEFCON 20.

I'll be looking forward to the customary way of starting the con at noon on friday with early beers, and i hope that Null Space Labs still fields a team even with Enzo occupied running things!
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Email from Discovery Channel about the BCCC

Hey all,

I wanted to mention that i was contacted by someone from the Discovery Channel who is interested in knowing more about the Beverage Cooling Contraption Contest and possibly speaking with some of the participants.

I wanted to mention it here...

Hi there,

I’m with Daily Planet, an award-winning science news show on the Canadian Discovery Channel. I came across an article about the Beer Chilling Contraption Contest that happens at DEF CON, and I think it sounds pretty awesome. We are a nightly science and tech show, and one of our segments is Inventors, where we feature the world’s awesomest, craziest inventions, and I think that this would be a great fit.

I realize DEF CON 20 isn’t happening until July, but I wanted to get in touch with some of the more advanced beer chilling contraption makers and see if they had anything else brewing, so to speak, that we could do a story on. I know you’re taking a step back from hosting it, but I was hoping you could help me get in touch with some of the key players involved, or at least steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Amanda Buckiewicz | Segment Producer
    Daily Planet - Discovery Channel - Exploration Production Inc
    i can provide her contact information to any of the previous participants if they wish. perhaps we'll even see some Discovery Channel cameras documenting the fun.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Email from Discovery Channel about the BCCC

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      i can provide her contact information to any of the previous participants if they wish. perhaps we'll even see some Discovery Channel cameras documenting the fun.
      That's weird kosmic karma, man. You were inspired by a Discovery MythBusters segment on beer cooling, and now Discovery is interested in the contest. Will this inspire MythBusters to re-examine beer cooling myths, which would inspire a new contest which would inspire new beer cooling contraptions which wou... <awk!>

It's the kind of thing that makes your head spin. Kind of like staring into parallel mirrors.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Working...
      X