X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Well, not FRS but....

Originally posted by froggy
    FRS is for weenies. ;)
    More people should get their HAM licenses... they are only 6 bux and easier to take than a driving test.

Comment

Agreed... cost me $10, but it's still a bargain. Having one means hearing fewer questions about odd looking radio gear. Plus, it has the potential to be a great public service.

Comment

Ham classes at the con, now that sounds like a good investment of time!

Comment

Well, I think a small breakout session would be a good idea. I'm already planning on giving a "Practical reasons for getting your amateur radio license" talk at Rubi-Con in Detroit this year, if possible.

Comment

Well, I think a small breakout session would be a good idea. I'm already planning on giving a "Practical reasons for getting your amateur radio license" talk at Rubi-Con in Detroit this year, if possible.
            I think the worst part is learning the code everything is cake... no time to sit there and think in dit-dah's.. I have learned it several times over... but because I never use it always end up relearning it... of course the learning curve is only in about an hour to get back to a decent speed...

Comment

QRZ had an interesting post a month or so back about a decent little program to work on your CW. It's really pretty slick. I'm only a technician, so I haven't had to test my code yet, but I can copy it fairly decently... I just haven't had the time to perfect it and test.

Comment

QRZ had an interesting post a month or so back about a decent little program to work on your CW. It's really pretty slick.
                I have tapes, cd's, video, programs up the wazoo... if it isn't used on a daily basis, it fades away. :(

Comment

Re: Re: Well, not FRS but....

Well, I will have my vx-5 operating on FRS, but I'm going to try to actually stick to the 2m calling freq, 146.520. If needbe, we could hop around bands after making an initial contact.

FRS is for weenies. ;)
                  Sweet. I think octalpussy mentioned something about having the 303 repeater in her room. I guess that would be great for people not staying at the alexis park since low power simplex would about cover ya.
                  "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
                  - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

I have tapes, cd's, video, programs up the wazoo... if it isn't used on a daily basis, it fades away. :(
                    Can you donate some to the cause? (Your tapes, not your wazoo). I have a book on no-code licenses but it is a few years old. Just what are the benefits of the higher licenses? I'm not one of those who tweaks radios, I'm happy with store bought stuff wih the warranty intact.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      Just what are the benefits of the higher licenses?
                      Here is the breakdown... but generally it is the higher the class the broader spectrum of frequency privileges, which of course comes with more responsibility.
                      http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html

Comment

More freqs AND more responsibility? What a double edged sword! They don't even put restrictions like that on firearms!

Comment

Working...
                        X