military veteran meetup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military veteran meetup

Hey folks (yes, I know, I haven't been around here in a while).

I am looking to gauge interest in a defcon meetup for military veterans. Nothing big, just maybe get us a room and let people chat and tell war stories.

If I see enough interest (and from Twitter it looks promising so far), we will look into securing a location and finding a time.

Let me know, thanks :-)
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Re: military veteran meetup

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
    I am looking to gauge interest in a defcon meetup for military veterans. Nothing big, just maybe get us a room and let people chat and tell war stories. If I see enough interest (and from Twitter it looks promising so far), we will look into securing a location and finding a time. Let me know, thanks :-)
    Still interested, schedule permitting.
    Please keep me posted.
    DaKahuna

Comment

If you want to make this an official thing, and want space, it is kind of late in the game, but you could talk to Nikita to see if there is any time/space to meet. Get an okay from her, and I'll make a forum for you and this.

If you want to make it an unofficial event and/or not use defcon space, maybe meet somewhere in Las Vegas, and you want a forum for this, then get a nod from DT, and I can make a forum for you all to organize this and promote it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        If you want to make this an official thing, and want space, it is kind of late in the game, but you could talk to Nikita to see if there is any time/space to meet. Get an okay from her, and I'll make a forum for you and this.

If you want to make it an unofficial event and/or not use defcon space, maybe meet somewhere in Las Vegas, and you want a forum for this, then get a nod from DT, and I can make a forum for you all to organize this and promote it.
        Inquiries have been made; I will report back when I hear something.

Comment

Unfortunately we were not able to secure any con space for this event--so unless someone has a suite or other area we can use, we will try again next year.

Comment

How much space do you need? I might find a smaller (50-100 people) in a space in the hotel but away from the main con space.
            PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
              How much space do you need? I might find a smaller (50-100 people) in a space in the hotel but away from the main con space.
              Any size is fine. I would be more than happy to find a space to accommodate 50-100 people.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone here has a GP Medium we can put up in the parking lot? :-)

Comment

I am looking to gauge interest in a defcon meetup for military veterans. Nothing big, just maybe get us a room and let people chat and tell war stories.

If I see enough interest (and from Twitter it looks promising so far), we will look into securing a location and finding a time.

Let me know, thanks :-)
                  I would be down to have a beer.

Comment

Do you guys want me talk with Pyr0 and see if we could hold the meeting in the Wireless Village after 8 pm.
                    DaKahuna

Comment

Inquiries have been made; I will report back when I hear something.
                      The above is a "nod from DT" so a forum has been created on the assumption that you all will complete the planning.

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                      Do you guys want me talk with Pyr0 and see if we could hold the meeting in the Wireless Village after 8 pm.
                      If you want to have this mentioned in the program, it may be too late. The RFI from Pyr0 for events had a deadline earlier this month that came and went. If Pyr0 is the person that gave you the space for the Wireless Village, and others agree to use that as a location, or you decide that you have enough agreement, or decide to just "build it and they will come" then get your info to Pyr0 and check to see if he still has time to get it mentioned in the program.

Again, it may be too late, as deadlines have come and gone for other things, but it would not hurt to try, and ask sooner rather than later. Consider writing up a proposal for a description of the event, and the time, much like you may have done for the Wireless Village, and then put it up here for people to comment on for 24 hours? 12 hours? And then after sufficient public review (or email/PM to major organizers you all think will be running this) then send it off to Pyr0.

You all probably know this, but a really important thing for running quick meetings:
                      * ALWAYS arrive with a proposal for any meeting you run.

You don't have to expect your proposal to win, but it provide a framework for discussion, and something for people to build upon, or improve with constructive criticism.

Unrelated, but still useful:
                      * When you run a meeting, keep people focused and on-topic. Once decisions have been made, CALL THE MEETING TO END EARLY. It is a reward for people, to thank them for not wasting everyone's time with stupid, useless tangents.

New forum created.
                      Old thread moved here.
                      Redirect from old location to this new location (shortcut/symlink) will expire from old location to here in 1 month. (By that time, people should be able to find the original.)

I need a forum description for this forum. 1 or 2 sentences should do. if you have a URL for a site wiki, twitter feed, face book page, please provide them.

(The only one I strongly suggest , especially for last minute additions like this is twitter: you can announce last minute changes while at Defcon.)

Good luck!
                      -Cot
                      Last edited by TheCotMan; June 12, 2012, 21:54.

Comment

I'm down as well. I'll watch this space for details.
                        .: Grifter :.

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                          That would be great. Thanks!

Comment

If you want to have this mentioned in the program, it may be too late. The RFI from Pyr0 for events had a deadline earlier this month that came and went. If Pyr0 is the person that gave you the space for the Wireless Village, and others agree to use that as a location, or you decide that you have enough agreement, or decide to just "build it and they will come" then get your info to Pyr0 and check to see if he still has time to get it mentioned in the program.

Again, it may be too late, as deadlines have come and gone for other things, but it would not hurt to try, and ask sooner rather than later. Consider writing up a proposal for a description of the event, and the time, much like you may have done for the Wireless Village, and then put it up here for people to comment on for 24 hours? 12 hours? And then after sufficient public review (or email/PM to major organizers you all think will be running this) then send it off to Pyr0.
                            New forum created.
                            Old thread moved here.
                            Good luck!
                            -Cot
                            Thank you. :-)

Comment

FYI, If you get me your infoz by monday i can sneak it in to the program stuff at the last minute. I'm currently compiling the data for the program for speakers and other infoz so it's not that big of a deal. The deadline for program materials is actually today. the deadline for RFI via pyro was a while back.

I'll keep DT's comment below in mind and over the weekend make sure to remind him and we find the space. I know the floorplan is pretty packed full of events happening here and there but I'm willing to at least try to find a spider hole for you guys to rendezvous. ( okay that was cheesy of me )
                              "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Working...
                              X