Recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recon

Just got back from the shoot site and thought I'd share some changes that have happened since last year. On Lovell Canyon Road, some of the more rough sections of road have been totally replaced, not just re-paved, so this should make it easier on smaller/lower vehicles heading out there. The majority of the road is the same unmaintained road we all love. Secondly, there are no longer any defined "ranges", the whole site has been leveled, meaning that the entire site now resembles what we called range A last year. So the large hill that divided A and B ranges last year is no more, as well as the rock berm/pile that divided ranges B and C. This also adds a small complication with parking, as it appears that most of that dirt/debris got added to the large hill near the entrance, extending it to where everyone had parked. Small side note, outside of the DC shoot, I've never encountered another soul out there, and over two days, I encountered several shooting groups, and even more groups out hunting brass, so it's become a more popular location over the last few years. Update complete, carry on.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Re: Recon

You did take photos, right?
    |

Comment

Let's just go with cameras were not appreciated on this trip and they stayed in the room. I'll grab a Google Maps shot when I get home and try to help visualize what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Before and After sat images. Actually these may give a better representation of the place than shots with a camera would have.

Before:

After:
      Last edited by sintax_error; February 27, 2013, 14:29.

Comment

Thanks for the recon. Is the "bigger hill" still climbable?

This might be an improvement in some ways, no one will need to relay between what used to be A and B.

As for the uptick in use, that's probably more to do with everyone being gun crazy since late December rather than a long term trend.

Comment

The area I labeled as "Bigger hill" has an almost sheer face towards the range area, and a pretty damn steep face towards what we used as a parking lot last year. It's climbable, but I'm not sure how easily. Let's just say it'd take a hell of a 4x4 to drive up it. One more note on the place being more traveled is there were several more fire pits built up than I've seen in the past. Could be the gun grab craze going on leading to the site's popularity, or just that it's a damn good spot to shoot/camp. I doubt that the popularity will have any impact on the shoot, but there is definitely an increased presence in human population.

Comment

thanks a lot for this update. i really appreciate seeing and hearing news like this, since i'm so non-local.

we'll continue planning as normal, and hopefully the choice we make to head out there the night before and camp and such will ensure our ability to secure the site for our purposes.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Just went there today - here is a picture from the road at the top of the ridge

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/jos...EFCON.jpg.html

(beware, 10meg pic)

As you can see its all one flat area now, with a large berm in the back, that is sloped at one end so you could drive up it. There are two spots recessed for camping, and parking should not be an issue if planned properly.

Joe

Comment

awesome. that all looks really great.

thank you very much for the recon photos.
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

FYI.
                  Lovell Canyon Road is currently closed off due to the Carpenter 1 wildfire, which has currently burnt 15,268 acres and is 15% contained.

Fire officials are estimating they will have the fire contained by July 19.

Depending on how much is burnt, the range area may be altered.
                  “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
                    FYI.
                    Lovell Canyon Road is currently closed off due to the Carpenter 1 wildfire, which has currently burnt 15,268 acres and is 15% contained.

Fire officials are estimating they will have the fire contained by July 19.

Depending on how much is burnt, the range area may be altered.
                    It's even bigger now, but the containment date is still estimated the same.

And this kiddos is why we don't shoot incendaries, tracers, or tannerite at the defcon shoot. I saw some of those incendaries and tracers after dark last year. Just don't do it. It doesn't look very flammable downrange, but it can be.

I know enforcement got a little lax when it started getting dark, but that didn't make it OK. The few people who camp after the shoot and keep a watch don't have the resources to put out a fire of any significant size. Don't put us in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post
                      It's even bigger now, but the containment date is still estimated the same.

And this kiddos is why we don't shoot incendaries, tracers, or tannerite at the defcon shoot. I saw some of those incendaries and tracers after dark last year. Just don't do it. It doesn't look very flammable downrange, but it can be.

I know enforcement got a little lax when it started getting dark, but that didn't make it OK. The few people who camp after the shoot and keep a watch don't have the resources to put out a fire of any significant size. Don't put us in that position.
                      ^What Gigs said +1. Some of the incendiary ammo out there may not seem like enough to start a wildfire, but that brush out there is the perfect kindling, and can and will go up at the drop of a hat. Not to mention that some of the areas beyond the "range" are not easily accessible to put out even a small fire due to the sheer rockface, or the terrain going along the creekbed. If not for the safety factor, just don't be the dick who fucks it up for everyone else.

Comment

Fire officials are currently saying it is now 43% contained with 27,971 acres burnt.
                        The wildfire was caused by lightning.
                        “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
                          Fire officials are currently saying it is now 43% contained with 27,971 acres burnt.
                          The wildfire was caused by lightning.
                          Based on experience with local wildfires and fire-roads, or dirt roads to spaces, and the aftermath, what are the chances that will close Lovell Canyon Road and access to BLM controlled spaces after the fire is quenched as a part of an erosion control policy?

Comment

damn, this is disappointing news. i'll keep an eye on the details and will post and tweet when we are in town.

if, Jeebus forbid, we have to cancel... i won't bat an eye about refunding everyone's reg fees. this ain't no kickstarter scam. ;-)
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Oh crap... I`ll keep an eye on this thread and your tweets even more closely, as I dont want to end up buying those "special targets" if we are not going to use them. Not sure British Airways would be happy with them going home either :)

Tuesday PM (the day before the shoot) is my cut-off time for the purchase, so I am sure we will know one way or the other by then.

Comment

Working...
                              X