DEAF CON - new ASL sign for "hacker"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEAF CON - new ASL sign for "hacker"

so here's a bit of news that i suspect might get tweeted out quite a bit tomorrow, heh...

American Sign Language now has a viable sign for "hacker"

...while there have been some attempts at a sign for "hacker" in the past, they have rarely caught on and usually have been far too computer-centric (or, much worse, have had nefarious connotations)

The wider Deaf community has usually simply used finger-spelling for the word "hacker" because it's brief and easy to spell. However, thanks to the work of some of our friends (and the input from many of their friends, and their friends' friends, and so on) there is a new sign. Language is a living thing, and words don't often become "official" but rather just become "accepted"... so that's the notion of what we're seeing here. If the new sign for "hacker" (which is based on elements of tinker/fix/teach/learn) becomes accepted, then so be it.

(I also love the fact that if you freeze frame it, a great deal of the sign is rather close to a street figher Hadouken)

I am so grateful for the efforts of my friend Steven (who appears in this video) because it was he who coordinated a great deal of discussion and had to constantly steer the conversation away from terms related to "crime" or similar themes. (It should be pointed out that most of these unhelpful assertions came from Hearing people who kept sort of butting-in to the conversation as it went on.)

So, there you go... if you see this -- as a part of DEAF CON or the wider hacker community -- then you'll know.

Spread the word, literally.

(i started a new thread because the main DEAF CON discussion is getting rather crowded. hopefully if and when a DEAF CON sub-forum appears, these threads will migrate over there)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: DEAF CON - new ASL sign for "hacker"

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    so here's a bit of news that i suspect might get tweeted out quite a bit tomorrow, heh...

American Sign Language now has a viable sign for "hacker"

...while there have been some attempts at a sign for "hacker" in the past, they have rarely caught on and usually have been far too computer-centric (or, much worse, have had nefarious connotations)

The wider Deaf community has usually simply used finger-spelling for the word "hacker" because it's brief and easy to spell. However, thanks to the work of some of our friends (and the input from many of their friends, and their friends' friends, and so on) there is a new sign. Language is a living thing, and words don't often become "official" but rather just become "accepted"... so that's the notion of what we're seeing here. If the new sign for "hacker" (which is based on elements of tinker/fix/teach/learn) becomes accepted, then so be it.

(I also love the fact that if you freeze frame it, a great deal of the sign is rather close to a street figher Hadouken)

I am so grateful for the efforts of my friend Steven (who appears in this video) because it was he who coordinated a great deal of discussion and had to constantly steer the conversation away from terms related to "crime" or similar themes. (It should be pointed out that most of these unhelpful assertions came from Hearing people who kept sort of butting-in to the conversation as it went on.)

So, there you go... if you see this -- as a part of DEAF CON or the wider hacker community -- then you'll know.

Spread the word, literally.

(i started a new thread because the main DEAF CON discussion is getting rather crowded. hopefully if and when a DEAF CON sub-forum appears, these threads will migrate over there)
    If/when it is approved as an event, please remind me to move this to the forum for Deafcon, if I forget.

Thanks!

Comment

Cool! Now I know a total of two ASL signs.

I seriously need to start learning ASL. I had a great attendant at the post office help me when the self-postage machine broke down and all I could communicate to him was thank you.
      "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Comment

Originally posted by arose4beni View Post
        Cool! Now I know a total of two ASL signs.

I seriously need to start learning ASL. I had a great attendant at the post office help me when the self-postage machine broke down and all I could communicate to him was thank you.
        Take out your cell phone, compose an email, hit the microphone button, dictate your comments, show him the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
          Take out your cell phone, compose an email, hit the microphone button, dictate your comments, show him the phone.
          That's a good idea. I wish I had thought of that at the time.
          "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Comment

Don't forget, most of us hearing impaired individuals can read lips really well ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane View Post
              Don't forget, most of us hearing impaired individuals can read lips really well ;)
              Do you get thrown off by mustaches and beards?

Comment

Working...
              X