Pre-registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-registration

Is it time to allow attendees to pre-register for the conference? Waiting in line for the badge is getting more painful each year as the conference grows in popularity. Folks who want to stay 'anonymous' can stand in line and still pay with cash, but please give the option to register online prior to the event.
    ..::800xl::..

Re: Pre-registration

Originally posted by 800XL View Post
    Is it time to allow attendees to pre-register for the conference? Waiting in line for the badge is getting more painful each year as the conference grows in popularity. Folks who want to stay 'anonymous' can stand in line and still pay with cash, but please give the option to register online prior to the event.
    My guess is no.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
      My guess is no.
      Showing up early has its advantages and the badge line last year was the best in years.

Comment

No pre-reg for many reasons.
        1) how do you prevent fraud? you can't physically mail a badge, so people have to stand in line anyway, even if they get a ticketmaster printout they still have to stand in the ticketmaster line.
        2) if there's a list of pre-reg then it can be subpeona'd. cash only = there's no list
        3) if you trust hackers with your credit card number, you shouldn't be going to defcon.

Kallahar
        --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

1) how do you prevent fraud? you can't physically mail a badge, so people have to stand in line anyway, even if they get a ticketmaster printout they still have to stand in the ticketmaster line.
          Mailing the badge to billing address should be OK but has disadvantages, such as giving someone time to create fake badge(s). Not sure what the answer is here, so perhaps this argument is the strongest.

2) if there's a list of pre-reg then it can be subpeona'd. cash only = there's no list
          Keep cash, give credit card as an option.

3) if you trust hackers with your credit card number, you shouldn't be going to defcon.

You know that person who organizes Defcon also organizes Black Hat that takes pre-registrations with credit cards?
          Let's face it, Defcon is not the same event it was 15-20 years ago.. It is now a very much commercial event with thousands of attendees, press coverage and official LinkedIn page. Just like RIO Hotel trusts Defcon organizes to pay their bills, I'd trust the same people to get my badge via mail.
          Last edited by 800XL; March 19, 2013, 21:24.

Comment

You know that person who organizes Defcon also organizes Black Hat that takes pre-registrations with credit cards?
            You know the person the owns DEF CON sold Black Hat years ago?
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              You know the person the owns DEF CON sold Black Hat years ago?
              I knew it was sold, but was under impression he was still involved with its management. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

Maybe you should just go at a different time? I got my badge Thursday afternoon, last year, and there was not a single person in line when I got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwncess View Post
                  Maybe you should just go at a different time? I got my badge Thursday afternoon, last year, and there was not a single person in line when I got there.
                  Last year I was in line before 8am and still missed 10am sessions. That was the main reason for asking about the pre-registration. Yes, I am a snooze-button addict.

Comment

Last year I was in line before 8am and still missed 10am sessions. That was the main reason for asking about the pre-registration. Yes, I am a snooze-button addict.
                    8 AM Thursday? I am pretty sure badges aren't required for any of the Thursday activities.

It's really a non-issue either way. We aren't going to do pre-sales of badges and are going to stay cash only.
                    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Walk up to a person close to the front of the line, give him the money for a badge and $20 for his troubles, say hey buy me a badge, give the guy behind him $10, and the guy behind him $5. Everyone happy.

Comment

Is it time to allow attendees to pre-register for the conference?
                        No, and....http://twitpic.com/cd2u3d
                        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I have booked a room in the DC block but it's for Friday and Saturday nights. Are the badges limited in numbers? Seems like most people will be there already. This will be my first DC.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman View Post
                            I have booked a room in the DC block but it's for Friday and Saturday nights. Are the badges limited in numbers? Seems like most people will be there already. This will be my first DC.
                            Provided the whole damn thing doesn't get canceled again, you should be fine.
                            "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman View Post
                              Hi , this will be my first too, can anyone share details / experiences on how soon to reach, process to get the batch ,attending presentations etc.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X