HHV Kit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHV Kit ?

So what are the thoughts on a very low cost HHV kit to be sold possibly in the vendor area?

Re: HHV Kit ?

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
    So what are the thoughts on a very low cost HHV kit to be sold possibly in the vendor area?
    I LOVE this idea. In The Past(tm), Joe Grand, Lost and Russ (I think it was those three) made kits that people would solder together and get a working microcontroller out of it, but the kits were somewhat expensive and a microcontroller requires programming and external hardware for I/O to really be of any use to people, which is great for long term usability of a kit, but not so hot for use at the Con.

What I'd love to see is something that's reasonably inexpensive ($20 or less), easy to assemble for beginners (mostly through-hole, maybe a couple optional 1206 SMT), and is something that can be used RIGHT AWAY, without programming and without having to come up with an idea of your own.

An example would be a kit that, once assembled, would be a game, similar to the Ninja Fight of a few years ago, or the Collect The Whole Set badge interaction game last year, SOMETHING like that. Something that, once assembled and powered, people can see immediate feedback that it worked and they made something awesome.

As a secondary goal, it should be something that gets people interacting. Note that the two examples I gave above do exactly that; this is not a coincidence. :-) Anything that encourages social interaction is a huge plus.

I've got some ideas how we could make something like this happen, and pretty cheaply too. Does this interest people? If so, I'd love to go into more detail. Probably start a new thread or something.

Comment

Here is what I am thinking and it can be made into a larson scanner with some reqiring.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=435

Comment

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
        Here is what I am thinking and it can be made into a larson scanner with some reqiring.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=435
        Simple, cheap and looks cool. Yes I want a project that people can build and see work right off the bat. A project for the masses.

Comment

Hmm maybe we need more than 1 kit... I will be talking to Russ in a few weeks about how to get them sold at cost.

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
          I LOVE this idea. In The Past(tm), Joe Grand, Lost and Russ (I think it was those three) made kits that people would solder together and get a working microcontroller out of it, but the kits were somewhat expensive and a microcontroller requires programming and external hardware for I/O to really be of any use to people, which is great for long term usability of a kit, but not so hot for use at the Con.

What I'd love to see is something that's reasonably inexpensive ($20 or less), easy to assemble for beginners (mostly through-hole, maybe a couple optional 1206 SMT), and is something that can be used RIGHT AWAY, without programming and without having to come up with an idea of your own.

An example would be a kit that, once assembled, would be a game, similar to the Ninja Fight of a few years ago, or the Collect The Whole Set badge interaction game last year, SOMETHING like that. Something that, once assembled and powered, people can see immediate feedback that it worked and they made something awesome.

As a secondary goal, it should be something that gets people interacting. Note that the two examples I gave above do exactly that; this is not a coincidence. :-) Anything that encourages social interaction is a huge plus.

I've got some ideas how we could make something like this happen, and pretty cheaply too. Does this interest people? If so, I'd love to go into more detail. Probably start a new thread or something.

Comment

I've spent a fair bit of time thinking about this. I think I've got some ideas that will work, a game of sorts with lots of $10, possibly $5, kits, and a handful of $40 to $60 kits, possibly with an optional $40ish upgrade for those who really want to go hard core.

I want to put the call out for developers who can write code for microcontrollers. I'll want some help. I'm also looking for web application developers, XMPP and/or Twitter experience is a plus. Anyone?

I'll write more details when I'm not about to go to bed.

Comment

Oh and we love rich .com people with bags of money to help too!

I've spent a fair bit of time thinking about this. I think I've got some ideas that will work, a game of sorts with lots of $10, possibly $5, kits, and a handful of $40 to $60 kits, possibly with an optional $40ish upgrade for those who really want to go hard core.

I want to put the call out for developers who can write code for microcontrollers. I'll want some help. I'm also looking for web application developers, XMPP and/or Twitter experience is a plus. Anyone?

I'll write more details when I'm not about to go to bed.

Comment

In the interest of not completely hijacking this thread in case others want to talk about a different kit than what I'm proposing, I started a new thread for my idea, The DefCon DarkNet Project:

https://forum.defcon.org/showthread....097#post128097

Comment

Okay here is a update. We will have a vendor table in the HHV this year. I will be overseeing the table as I forked out the cash to get it set up as well as buying the kits and have chosen someone to run it for me. I have about 300 kits (5 different types) that are priced very low ($10 to $40 depending on the function) and they are being sold at cost. I hear there will be other items for sale in the vendor area as well so there will be plenty of things for people to do this year. We will have a record amount of good quality soldering stations and equipment on hand to support this effort and I have enlisted my usual Soldering Guru (Mrs. Bombnav) to run a hands on soldering class.

Comment

The DefCon DarkNet Project will be selling Learn To Solder kits too. I'm targeting them to be at most $10 for the primary (all through hole) kit, and $5 for an SMT add-on. The kits will be part of the DarkNet Project ARG I'm running. I hope to make my kits actually a little cheaper than that.

Comment

If all goes according to plan, I will have another simple kit to throw in the mix as well. Meant for SmittyHalibut's ARG, it would be a fully programable RFID tag using a PIC12. It should come out fairly cheap, ~$5 a kit, will do price hunting for parts once I can secure some RFID readers for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by l33tbunni View Post
                        If all goes according to plan, I will have another simple kit to throw in the mix as well. Meant for SmittyHalibut's ARG, it would be a fully programable RFID tag using a PIC12. It should come out fairly cheap, ~$5 a kit, will do price hunting for parts once I can secure some RFID readers for the game.
                        Sounds cool. Shoot me a PM when you have the details. I have a table in the HHV selling things at cost so not a problem.

Comment

All of the "official" HHV kits are in and boxed and ready to go. Got the soldering master on hook for a full 4 days of help so if you have never built a project before this will be your year to get your hands dirty and learn to solder and build some good kits. The HHV was started to bridge the gap between software engineers and programmers and hardware guys. If you ever wanted to solder but did not know where to start then come see us at the HHV and let us help you get started.

Comment

The DefCon DarkNet Learn To Solder kits we'll be bringing are going to be pretty damn awesome. :-)

I haven't seen l33tbunni's kits yet (different than the Learn to Solder kits we're doing) but they sound really awesome and useful too. I'm getting super stoked.

Comment

The DefCon DarkNet Learn To Solder kits we'll be bringing are going to be pretty damn awesome. :-)

I haven't seen l33tbunni's kits yet (different than the Learn to Solder kits we're doing) but they sound really awesome and useful too. I'm getting super stoked.

Good!! This year will be a record year for the most soldering stations and the most kits EVER!!

Comment

Working...
                              X