Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IDPA Type competition instead of just blow your wad on paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDPA Type competition instead of just blow your wad on paper?

If anyone is an IDPA competitor, or similar defensive shooting competition, you know how much more fun it is to go "shooting" with a purpose of improving your skills in a life or death scenario. Sure its great to go out and put some holes in paper with somebody else's weapon, but it can be so much better.
    Contact a Vegas area member of the IDPA to setup a competition type match Thursday morning to REALLY show off your weapon and skills.
    Perhaps coordinate with the DC21 military vets planning group!

Re: IDPA Type competition instead of just blow your wad on paper?

I'd be all for this, as long as it is set up in some way that does not impact the rest of the shooters on the plinking line.

IDPA sort of run-and-gun events require a rather dynamic firing line and a wide berth of safe zone. If everyone is firing in one direction, would the potential IDPA course be at a 90 degree angle to that? Sketch it out for me on the map image...

... and we'll try to figure out what the plan could be.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Never having been to the range, I didn't know if it has berms between each station, but ill assume not since most places don't.
      However, it doesn't always have to be a run and gun type station with lead flying in all directions.
      I would suggest something like a standard qualifier:
      From hands at the ready, On a signal, Draw from concealment, Engage 3 targets with 2 rounds each.
      Where you require those rounds, and in what order, can change too.

Something like this introduces a shooter to several new dynamics that will take their range time beyond plinking to useful life saving training. A reality check for how and what you carry, your equipment, your safety, and how to use it.

You could have a simple cover drill, where all you have to do is take 2 steps to the right or left, but adding that movement is a big deal, for shooters and safety. Keeping the muzzle pointed downrange while moving to cover and not tripping over your own feet seems to be harder than it sounds. =)

The great thing is all this requires above a simple plinking session is a shot clock and a safety officer, which we should have a RSO at each line anyway.
      As for the shot clock, there are free (and cheap) smartphone apps out there that work pretty well. Checkout ShotTimer from Surefire and "free shot timer" from innovative applications.

I am not currently an IDPA Safety Officer, but I could be by August.

Comment

Assuming this goes forward, it would be cool for it to become a defcon contest. And in a few years start handing out black badges.

Comment

After I really thought this through, I was thinking of something like TopGears track board. As people rotate through plinking, they get to try their hands at a timed competition. Track best times to the top. When its all over, you at least get bragging rights as the fastest geek in the west. As it gains traction, perhaps something better than bragging rights!

Comment

Working...
          X