Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since the Co-Founder of TOOOL.US resigned is the Lockpick Village still happening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since the Co-Founder of TOOOL.US resigned is the Lockpick Village still happening?

Hi,

I've been a long time attendee of Defcon and my favorite event is the Lockpicking Village. I just read this resignation letter from Eric Michaud on pastebin http://pastebin.com/Z0xzcA89 and it reads to me that there is endemic trouble with the people left running TOOOL. I don't want to conjecture here since all I want to know is if the Lockpicking Village is still going on this year?

Jump_ESP

Re: Since the Co-Founder of TOOOL.US resigned is the Lockpick Village still happening

Originally posted by jump_esp View Post
    Hi,

I've been a long time attendee of Defcon and my favorite event is the Lockpicking Village. I just read this resignation letter from Eric Michaud on pastebin http://pastebin.com/Z0xzcA89 and it reads to me that there is endemic trouble with the people left running TOOOL. I don't want to conjecture here since all I want to know is if the Lockpicking Village is still going on this year?

Jump_ESP
    In this post from Deviant Ollam there is a claim that the Lock Picking Villages is a go. A forum has been created for it here: https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=694

It is not uncommon for there to be few posts in forums created for contests, events and social gatherings. We do not require organizers use the forums -- that works counter to a hacker culture. We provide the resources and if they use them, I am happy and if they don't then I am still happy.

I'm moving your post and question from "Community Talk" to the "Locpicking Village" forum for DEF CON 21.

Comment

Re: Since the Co-Founder of TOOOL.US resigned is the Lockpick Village still happening

Thanks for the link TheCotMan,

I have a half dozen people I will be going with from work this year and the only thing they really want to do is learn to pick locks. If it's not going on I think most of them will not go.

So as per my original question your link is dated back to 2012 and the resignation only happened a month ago so the question still stands, will the Village still be happening?

Also, does this mean a board position is open?

Jump_ESP

Comment

Despite what you may be hearing on weird side-corners of the internet or from folks like Sudophren, TOOOL is still doing just fine and the Lockpick Village will indeed be happening at DEFCON, just as always. While we were disappointed to see Eric Michaud depart, you can rest assured that this will have absolutely zero impact on the events at DEFCON. All of the TOOOL members who made that and other Lockpick Villages happen in the past are still with the organization and are eager to see this summer in Vegas happen without a hitch. :-)

In response to your other query, indeed there is currently one seat open on the TOOOL Board... and discussions are already well on their way to seeing it filled. We'll be happily making our announcement of the newest Boardmember soon (and possibly publicly revealing him or her in person at DEFCON.)
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Deviant,

That's great to hear, I'll relay this to my colleagues at work and you'll see us there probably all day if we can.

Jump_ESP

Comment

Working...
          X