Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

    This thread is where you post what you want to talk about (short description). Make sure you email me your name and email address you want to use with HHV TALK in the subject line.

    At this point all talks are approved as long as they involve hardware in some shape or form.

    Once we get closer and more people respond I will start building the schedule so I can get it to the INFO booth on Day 1. The goal is to make sure we announce well in advance the talks as we had some fantastic ones last year!!

    Also working on having a video monitor display the schedule. If you have any cool ideas on how you would do that let me know. Last year we even kicked around the idea of using a DEFCON 20 badge to display it to a computer monitor. If your a master parallax propeller programmer let me know as I would love to use a past DC badge as the host for the rolling info board.
    Last edited by bombnav; May 20, 2013, 22:24.

  • #2
    Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

    Like I said in the other thread I'll do my soldering talk again, at least once. Will email you my info.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

      Originally posted by Gigs View Post
      Like I said in the other thread I'll do my soldering talk again, at least once. Will email you my info.
      Got it and yes i think a Friday and Sat talk would be good. There will lots of people wanting to solder a kit for the first time so I think you will have a good crowd.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

        Something new this year... will be a panel of 5 Hardware experts that you can pick their brains and ask questions.

        Trust me on this... going to be an event that we will try to repeat every year.

        I will release the names shorty!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

          There was some interest in me doing an intro to USB talk similar to my I2C/SPI talk from last year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

            Originally posted by Gigs View Post
            Like I said in the other thread I'll do my soldering talk again, at least once. Will email you my info.
            Thanks got it down.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

              I'd love to talk about DIY Audio. Not very hackery, but it's what I'm into most these days.

              Also, it might be good for me to do a talk about the DarkNet HHV kit. I'd like to do that at least once.

              Also be aware that several of us submitted a panel to the main DefCon speaking track (but haven't yet heard a response) to talk about Microcontrollers. LosT, Kingpin, Firmwarez and I on the panel, Renderman moderating it. I'll post back here once I hear one way or the other. If it doesn't get accepted for the main talk series, I would love to give it in the HHV, pending everyone else's availability.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

                Yes, YEs and YESS!!

                There is one other panel discussion being set up for HHV and a after talk for a project as well.

                These are the things we need in the HHV!!!



                Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                I'd love to talk about DIY Audio. Not very hackery, but it's what I'm into most these days.

                Also, it might be good for me to do a talk about the DarkNet HHV kit. I'd like to do that at least once.

                Also be aware that several of us submitted a panel to the main DefCon speaking track (but haven't yet heard a response) to talk about Microcontrollers. LosT, Kingpin, Firmwarez and I on the panel, Renderman moderating it. I'll post back here once I hear one way or the other. If it doesn't get accepted for the main talk series, I would love to give it in the HHV, pending everyone else's availability.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

                  I have a presentation on the importance of backdoors (giggity). Basically just a walkthrough of an experience I had trying to reverse engineer smart-card enabled laundry machines and why its important to think outside the box when approaching any problem. Will email you info.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

                    Originally posted by l33tbunni View Post
                    I have a presentation on the importance of backdoors (giggity). Basically just a walkthrough of an experience I had trying to reverse engineer smart-card enabled laundry machines and why its important to think outside the box when approaching any problem. Will email you info.
                    Can't wait... every apartment dweller and college student had thought about that one. I will enjoy your solutions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

                      I've done some neat stuff over the years with InfraRed. I've got a talk together on IR covering sources (LEDs and lasers), detectors, and uses. Control, communications, night vision, phun with security cameras, that sort of thing.

                      I'm open anytime during the con except for the couple of hours around 14:00 on Saturday.
                      TSA luvs my Uzi.

                      "We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

                        I will do a 45-50 minute follow-on to my main track talk on the design of a few circuits from that. First, an ALPR detector that tells you when your license plate gets read (FirmWarez, it has an interesting IR component). Then few different circuits to detect when your electronic toll tag (e.g. E-Zpass, FasTrak, GoodToGo, TxTag, SunPass, etc.) gets read (you'll then find it gets read far more times in non-toll events that it does in any actual financial transaction). Mostly it will be about pure CMOS -- OpAmps (inverting, non-inverting, trans-impedance, and a voltage comparator), Schmitt triggers, and timers (monostable and astable). One circuit does use an RF transceiver and a micro controller, which can be an Atmel (i.e. Arduino), parrallax propeller (actually its a DC20 badge), or raspberry pi -- same functional circuit, but have setup and code for all of them.

                        My talk is at 11a on Saturday, so sometime after that, but also not during an RFID talk at 1p (toll tag related) nor during the FirmWarez/SmittyHalibut/1057/KingPin/RenderMan panel at 2p -- so Saturday at 3p, 4p or 5p would be great.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: OFFICAL HHV Talk Schedule

                          Originally posted by pukingmonkey View Post
                          I will do a 45-50 minute follow-on to my main track talk on the design of a few circuits from that. First, an ALPR detector that tells you when your license plate gets read (FirmWarez, it has an interesting IR component). Then few different circuits to detect when your electronic toll tag (e.g. E-Zpass, FasTrak, GoodToGo, TxTag, SunPass, etc.) gets read (you'll then find it gets read far more times in non-toll events that it does in any actual financial transaction). Mostly it will be about pure CMOS -- OpAmps (inverting, non-inverting, trans-impedance, and a voltage comparator), Schmitt triggers, and timers (monostable and astable). One circuit does use an RF transceiver and a micro controller, which can be an Atmel (i.e. Arduino), parrallax propeller (actually its a DC20 badge), or raspberry pi -- same functional circuit, but have setup and code for all of them.

                          My talk is at 11a on Saturday, so sometime after that, but also not during an RFID talk at 1p (toll tag related) nor during the FirmWarez/SmittyHalibut/1057/KingPin/RenderMan panel at 2p -- so Saturday at 3p, 4p or 5p would be great.

                          This is exactly what I hope to see in the future.. main track talks come to the HHV for a after talk and hardware demos. This is a natural event for the HHV and I hope I can get more speakers scheduled in for talks. Can't wait!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: OFFICIAL HHV Talk Schedule

                            Hopefully i'm not too late to the show, but I only just knew for sure i'd make it to defcon, then it took about 12 days for me to be allowed to post on this forum...

                            I've got a bunch of potential talks i can make out of snippets of other training I do. These are some topics I encounter that are often poorly understood and poorly explained, but I could use some feedback on targeting the right technical level though. Some 30-minute chunks i could do:

                            Buses part 1:
                            Overview of different kinds of buses, theory, serial vs parallel, clocking schemes, signaling, termination, etc. followed by the basics of identifying different buses on boards, and normal observation tools

                            Buses part 2:
                            Process of identifying, probing, sniffing, logging, replaying, dumping, and fuzzing busses.

                            Building a protocol:
                            Tutorial on how to take a datasheet and bit-bang a precisely timed protocol with a microcontroller. May involve flashing LEDs.

                            Cheap Observation Tools:
                            PC-based LAs, soundcard based scopes,
                            o-scopes vs. logic analysers
                            specialized tools and their strengths
                            platforms for custom tools (fpgas vs uc, etc)

                            Tool training:
                            How to use [bus pirate|goodfet/facedancer|OLS|Saleae|sigrok|openOCD|DSO nano|etc...] If there are any particular tools that might be of interest let me know.

                            Feedback welcome. Please let me know if i should uplevel or downlevel the technical content.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: OFFICIAL HHV Talk Schedule

                              No not too late. In a few weeks I will pull all the postings and come up with a list and go from there. We have 4 days so there is plenty of space for talks.



                              Originally posted by joefitz View Post
                              Hopefully i'm not too late to the show, but I only just knew for sure i'd make it to defcon, then it took about 12 days for me to be allowed to post on this forum...

                              I've got a bunch of potential talks i can make out of snippets of other training I do. These are some topics I encounter that are often poorly understood and poorly explained, but I could use some feedback on targeting the right technical level though. Some 30-minute chunks i could do:

                              Buses part 1:
                              Overview of different kinds of buses, theory, serial vs parallel, clocking schemes, signaling, termination, etc. followed by the basics of identifying different buses on boards, and normal observation tools

                              Buses part 2:
                              Process of identifying, probing, sniffing, logging, replaying, dumping, and fuzzing busses.

                              Building a protocol:
                              Tutorial on how to take a datasheet and bit-bang a precisely timed protocol with a microcontroller. May involve flashing LEDs.

                              Cheap Observation Tools:
                              PC-based LAs, soundcard based scopes,
                              o-scopes vs. logic analysers
                              specialized tools and their strengths
                              platforms for custom tools (fpgas vs uc, etc)

                              Tool training:
                              How to use [bus pirate|goodfet/facedancer|OLS|Saleae|sigrok|openOCD|DSO nano|etc...] If there are any particular tools that might be of interest let me know.

                              Feedback welcome. Please let me know if i should uplevel or downlevel the technical content.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X