Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevada bill potentially impacts things like defcon shoot

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...run-check.aspx

Nevada senate passed this bill to ban private transfers without a background check. It mimics the federal version of the bill, except it has an exception that helps a lot.

Does not apply to:
    A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm without
    transfer of ownership or title to ownership of the firearm, if such
    transfer takes place:
    (a) At a shooting range located in or on any premises owned or
    occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for
    conservation purposes or to foster proficiency with firearms;
    (b) At a target firearm shooting competition under the
    auspices of, or approved by, a state agency or a nonprofit
    organization; or
    (c) While hunting, fishing, target shooting or trapping if:
    (1) The hunting, fishing, target shooting or trapping is
    legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is
    transferred possesses the firearm; and
    (2) The person to whom the firearm is transferred holds all
    licenses or permits required for such hunting, fishing, target
    shooting or trapping.
    This is similar to the exception in the federal bill, which could have had a big impact on things like our little get together and similar ones, since it doesn't occur on an "official range"

Nevada has added another exception which helps greatly:
    A temporary transfer of a firearm that occurs while in the
    presence of the owner of the firearm.
    Still potentially thorny. Guess you can't leave your guns with someone you trust while you go do something else.

I don't post this to start a political debate here, but it's something we need to keep an eye on. It still needs to pass the other house, so maybe it can die there. They never seem to think about unintended consequences when they write these things.

Re: Nevada bill potentially impacts things like defcon shoot

Your answered your own question with one word. Trust. Get a firearms trust!

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post
      http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...run-check.aspx

Nevada senate passed this bill to ban private transfers without a background check. It mimics the federal version of the bill, except it has an exception that helps a lot.

Still potentially thorny. Guess you can't leave your guns with someone you trust while you go do something else.
      no problems, that "in the presence of the owner" clause covers it, even if it didn't were are still OK as we are target shooting. so our exemption is (c) with the qualifiers (1) must be legal in all places where the non-owner has the firearm (all good as as long as they don't leave the shoot with it) and (2) has permits for target shooting, well no permits are needed there, so this does not apply.

Comment

it does seem that all our activities would be covered because we are in one another's presence during the shoot.

still, this does highlight a problem with many new law proposals. i've been advocating (at least during interesting side-conversations about topics like this) for a "10/24 rule" to become something of a standard. that is to say...

if a person goes more than 10 miles away from you -or-
        if a person has possessory control of a firearm for more than 24 hours

... then the law might properly view this as a "transfer" and some other provisions of the law can apply. for example, while it's not feasible to know someone's full criminal history before letting them pick up or try out something of yours at a shooting range... letting a person with a felony record take control of one of your guns for days at a time should (in my view) be found as at least a possible negligence charge against the owner who lent the gun without doing their homework.

however, any sort of causal borrowing or swapping that takes place at a range or even while out hunting in the same area (hence the 10 mile radius) is probably very difficult to be considered a full "transfer" in the eyes of the law and would introduce many complications.

are my suggested numbers quite arbitrary? yeah. i just liked playing on the theme of the 10/22 rifle's name.

honestly, i don't know how far apart some people can get when out hunting in various conditions. maybe 10 miles is not a reasonable distance. what would others suggest instead?
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          honestly, i don't know how far apart some people can get when out hunting in various conditions. maybe 10 miles is not a reasonable distance. what would others suggest instead?
          I think there should be proof of intent to transfer the title of ownership. There could be something like your thresholds that could be "prima facie evidence" of intent to transfer the title of ownership, but I think it shouldn't be an automatic violation. This at least gives judges the discretion to hear the circumstances, and puts the burden on the prosecution to prove you actually intended to transfer ownership.

Comment

NV Governor Brian Sandoval intends to veto SB221 (the "universal background check" bill).
            “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Working...
            X