Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Support DEAF CON interpreters with donations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Support DEAF CON interpreters with donations!

Hello everyone!

As a pending unofficial event, DEAF CON would like to bring live ASL interpreters to DEF CON 21. Knollgrass and his friend have graciously agreed to volunteer their time to come out to this year's con. However we need to provide airfare and lodging expenses for our volunteers to get to Las Vegas.

We decided to run an Indie Go-go campaign to help raise these funds. Any donations contributed to the campaign will go directly to offsetting the costs of going to DEF CON. If we make our goal, any stretch goal or money donated afterwards will go directly toward's next year's interpreter funding for DEF CON 22.

This is completely separate from the DEF CON sponsored speech-to-text CART service in the speaker-tracks that DarkTangent announced on the forums. It is great that DarkTangent and DEF CON are providing this service and we cannot thank them enough for their efforts. We would like to simply enhance the services provided by having ASL interpreters live on request.

*I talked to TheCotMan in private about posting this and he gave me permission to post the link so long as I presented the information above.

So, please help make this happen. Visit the campaign and donate. Thank you!

~arose4beni
    "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Re: Help Support DEAF CON interpreters with donations!

Originally posted by arose4beni View Post
    Hello everyone!

As a pending unofficial event, DEAF CON would like to bring live ASL interpreters to DEF CON 21. Knollgrass and his friend have graciously agreed to volunteer their time to come out to this year's con. However we need to provide airfare and lodging expenses for our volunteers to get to Las Vegas.

We decided to run an Indie Go-go campaign to help raise these funds. Any donations contributed to the campaign will go directly to offsetting the costs of going to DEF CON. If we make our goal, any stretch goal or money donated afterwards will go directly toward's next year's interpreter funding for DEF CON 22.

This is completely separate from the DEF CON sponsored speech-to-text CART service in the speaker-tracks that DarkTangent announced on the forums. It is great that DarkTangent and DEF CON are providing this service and we cannot thank them enough for their efforts. We would like to simply enhance the services provided by having ASL interpreters live on request.

*I talked to TheCotMan in private about posting this and he gave me permission to post the link so long as I presented the information above.

So, please help make this happen. Visit the campaign and donate. Thank you!

~arose4beni
    This is me confirming that I said it was ok for this user to post this advertisement in the forums. The intent and purpose is directly related to DEF CON, and appears to be on-topic to me. As stated in the rules, spam is a violation of our forum rules, but any mod can make an exception on a case-by-case basis. This is me doing that.
    This permission is only to post the advertising and ask for donations. My authority is limited to the forums, so this is not permission to run this contest, and some other goon may come along and say this request for donation or event is a problem, but that would be them ruling from their department with their authority.

Thanks, and good luck!
    -Cot

Comment

it's been amazing to see some of the high-profile folk who have been tweeting about this. Snipey and Snubs are two who come to mind... but absolutely everyone who has been working on this is doing a great job and i thank the contributors and organizers so very much for making this idea into a reality.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        it's been amazing to see some of the high-profile folk who have been tweeting about this. Snipey and Snubs are two who come to mind... but absolutely everyone who has been working on this is doing a great job and i thank the contributors and organizers so very much for making this idea into a reality.
        Thank you for getting the ball rolling with this, Deviant. :)

Update: We have raised about 20% of the funds needed. Thanks to everyone that has donated and keep spreading the word.

Comment

Update:

With a week and a half left in the campaign, we have been looking into alternative airports and flights for our interpreters than what we originally planned.

While researching this, we have found cheaper flights at a different airport. Our interpreters are willing to drive farther to get to these flights. Also, our interpreters have found a room to stay in during the con.

What does that mean? It means we don't actually need the full amount of $2200 like we did when the campaign first started. What we need now is roughly $1100-$1200 to pay for the flights and badge fees. With that, our new goal is to get $1150 before Monday, July 1st. Our current total is $715, meaning we only now need $435.

Again, thanks to everyone who has donated so far and keep spreading the word!

Comment

To update everyone, we made our new goal of $1150! Thanks to everyone spreading the word and to those who have donated!

Since we still have about week left in the campaign, we have a new stretch goal of $1350. The extra money we raise will go to next year's funds to bring our interpreters back for DEFCON 22 (assuming it's not canceled ;] ). Keep spreading the word and donating!

Comment

Working...
            X