Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil & Gas Infosec 101

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oil & Gas Infosec 101

    Oil & Gas Infosec 101

    Ever wonder what it's like to secure off-shore platforms, field operations, and aging SCADA systems? Take a ride through how Oil & Gas companies operate and what the pitfalls are in trying to fix technology that predates enterprise IT and make them more secure. SCADA, wifi/radio/satellite communication, and corporate IT all come together and it's up to YOU to figure out how to make sense of it all.

    AlxRogan

    AlxRogan was born and raised in the Oil and Gas industry, and has worked (off and on) there since 1995. He has gooned since DEF CON 12, and is a professional contest participant (CTF, Wardriving, ScavHunt). In his work experience, he has consulted for energy generating companies, health care providers, US and local government, and education/research institutions. He is currently the Information Security Architect for a mid-size oil and gas company in Houston.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

  • #2
    Re: Oil & Gas Infosec 101

    Slides from this talk : http://evul.procfail.net/dc21/og-infosec-101.pdf
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Oil & Gas Infosec 101

      Vandal considered working in Oil and Gas Infosec, it being a pretty large part of all industry in our area, but after learning how aged the systems were I think he decided he did not want to get into having to force people to understand they need to upgrade. ALL THE TIME.
      "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Oil & Gas Infosec 101

        Originally posted by eris View Post
        Vandal considered working in Oil and Gas Infosec, it being a pretty large part of all industry in our area, but after learning how aged the systems were I think he decided he did not want to get into having to force people to understand they need to upgrade. ALL THE TIME.
        That's definitely part of the challenge. A key part of what I have to do is to increase security while being constrained by the whole upgrade/outdated tech thing.
        Aut disce aut discede

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Oil & Gas Infosec 101

          Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
          That's definitely part of the challenge. A key part of what I have to do is to increase security while being constrained by the whole upgrade/outdated tech thing.
          I think he is still interested enough to want to know a little more. He has a great job now but should he ever want to move the best industry to look at would be oil and gas if he wants to stay in S E Asia. I will let him know about this talk.
          "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Oil & Gas Infosec 101

            Originally posted by eris View Post
            I think he is still interested enough to want to know a little more. He has a great job now but should he ever want to move the best industry to look at would be oil and gas if he wants to stay in S E Asia. I will let him know about this talk.
            Good deal! He's probably already aware of most of this, but hopefully he can take something away from it. The slides are intentionally sparse on details, mostly to prod me to actually speak about it versus reading the slides. :)
            Aut disce aut discede

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Oil & Gas Infosec 101

              Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
              Good deal! He's probably already aware of most of this, but hopefully he can take something away from it. The slides are intentionally sparse on details, mostly to prod me to actually speak about it versus reading the slides. :)
              As any good slideshow should be!
              "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

              Comment

              Working...
              X