Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEF CON 21: Thanks Yous, Fuck Yous, and honorable mentions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEF CON 21: Thanks Yous, Fuck Yous, and honorable mentions...

Thanks to everyone I worked with this year, and the help provided to me to get information synchronized between the forums and the reality of DEF CON 21.

I'll try to compose a more detailed thank you after DEF CON 21 is over.

Historically, some people list through MANY people they want to thank, and others provide a more generic thank you. How you choose to honor, or complain about people is your choice.

(The "no flaming" rule still exists, so complaining it fine IF and ONLY IF you can provide something constructive to say about the FAIL you are complaining about, like how the person that has earned a "Fuck You" deserved it, and how they could have avoided it in the future: simple, no? Gripe about someone all you want as long as you explain how they could have done better.)

Re: DEF CON 21: Thanks Yous, Fuck Yous, and honorable mentions...

Id like to give a big thanks to the goons. I have experienced firsthand what they go through in a day and I know they do a ton more the days before the con. Theres a reason we are encouraged to give these people beers and food.

Would also like to give a thanks to the mohawkcon gals. They refreshed my hawk 3 times and each unique design was as rad as the last. Cant wait for next year.

I think the wall of sheep annoyed me a little. I was there trying to work and get things done with the traffic, and the speeches, done on less than quality sound equipment, were a huge distraction. The 101 speech wad more of a "heres the name of a tool. Go read its man page." And not really a 101 about packet captures and network analysis. I was very disappointed. I dont know if this was the first time they have done that, given talks at wos, but I would be happy help with the next con. Great group of people doing great things

Project 2 had really good puzzles this year.

The guys at the whitenoiselabs table were quite odd. They dont really even know ehat they are talking about. I think they are just trying to crowd source hackers to attempt to break a key method they are interested in. They claim it cannot be done. Their site is also full of troll comments about how no one can break it and black hat refused their contest submission. Could be a complete waste of time.

The pool party saturday had some cover band group and they butchered about every song they did.in their medlies.

Last but certainly.not least JENGA WAS AWESOME!

Comment

A big "Thank You" to the staff that worked DEFCON this year. This was my first time attending and the experience was nothing short of outstanding! Everyone was courteous, respectful, and nonjudgmental. Also, thank you to all that provided help in the lock pick village and the hardware hacking village. I learned much and wish to learn more.

Looking forward to next year!!
      Smag, how many times do I have to tell you not to do something stupid??

Comment

Thanks you, DarkTangent for creating something valuable this community can enjoy together. This was my second DEFCON, and it was just as great as the first. Props to Jason Scott for showing the World what DEFCON truly is and what it stands for.

Thanks to all the Goons and other event staff that made the magic possible. Also, thank you to anyone who randomly chatted with me or gave passing thoughts and compliments. You guys rock and are what make this all so special.

Lastly, a special thanks to YawnBox & Salt for the ride share and Cap'n Crunch for the room share. My attendance would not have been possible was out you guys.

Comment

(Originally posted on Facebook. I plan to make an effort to use the forums more often)

Obligatory ‪#‎Defcon‬ 21 Post Mortum

It was a fantastic con. I maintained my standing in still never having seen a talk. Many awesome things happened this year and I'll try to list them out. If I missed anything, remind me or I'll update in comments.

- Officially made a part of #303. Nice to be part of the family all legal and shit instead of just common law.

- Able to spend about 20 minutes in the middle of the Vendor Floor in a 1:1 with Richard Thieme without being interrupted. It had been too long since we got any face time and the conversation is always some of the best kind of the highest order. I"m amazed that I can manage to say something that be new to him, or present an angle he hadn't considered.

- Spend time conversing with Winn Schwartau, to the order of more this year than all other defcons combined, and I think at least 1/4 of the time we were laughing like madmen about something.

- Goon band rocks.

- 303 party was the best shindig topped only by the 303 dinner Sunday night.

- Leaned about the Hardware Village which I completely missed last year and it almost brought a tear to my eye. OK, it DID bring a tear to my eye. One of the single best things I have even seen at defcon because hardware, soldering and board stuffing has always been a HUGE part of my life. I didn't assemble my badge last year because I didn't being my tools. Had I known about the village I would have camped out and started volunteering my expertise. Next year expect to see me in there quite a bit.

- Sad to see Noid, Zac Franklin, and Chris Hurley stepping down as goons. Proud to see Cyber Junkie, Lockheed, Will, and others rising up to take the torch and run with it. The con is in good hands and I hope those that have retired can finally get to sit back and soakup all the relaxation of con and the camaraderie they've been missing out because of running the damn thing.

- Really glad that Gonzo made it out this year. Sad that Ira J. Moser didn't as well as TW.

- Bought some lockpicks finally with the guidance from Lizzy Borden. Unfortunately the lockpick village was closed when I got around to heading over there. ‪#‎nextyear‬

- Talked with JDT more than all other cons combined, and even saw him carousing the shutter bar sunday night. Well plays sir, well played!

- The Goon Swim felt like old times and felt good. Thanks guys.

- Realized the only way to describe defcon to some people is to compare it to burning man in that it is a collection of a LOT of different things all happening at the same time. It's impossible to do everything. You will miss a lot, but everything you do will more than make of for it.

- Saw the faderhead show and hung out with the guys. They're pretty damn funny and are powered by Vodka.

- Was completely NOT impressed by BT as it's just another guy with a laptop pushing play and clapping his hands in the air. ‪#‎fucklapptops‬ ‪#‎LRN2PLYrealinstruments‬

- StripperCon had the best strippers I've ever seen at a con party. Damn good pole dancers, and that's a big compliment coming from me since I'm usually bored shitless by strippers (no offense to my stripper friends, I still love seeing you naked)

- Was made an offer I couldn't refuse regarding my attire at con, and on the ride home decided that I'm not going to refuse it. ‪#‎goonforlife‬
          --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
          - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I just want to thank whoever turned in my wife's Nexus 7 that was left in a Rio restroom after checking out on Sunday. I guess there IS honor among thieves!

Comment

Better wipe it.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                Better wipe it.
                Am I the only one who is laughing, considering the phone was lost in the bathroom.
                "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                  Am I the only one who is laughing, considering the phone was lost in the bathroom.
                  That would be the one phone I'd stamp with the biohazard sign. ;)
                  "Programming in Visual Basic is like making a building out of LEGOs. Use C, the king of programming languages!"

0x029A
                  The number of the Beast!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                    Ha ha! I bet the photo gallery on that phone looks like the last scene of The Hangover!

Comment

Originally posted by adh4wk View Post
                      Id like to give a big thanks to the goons. I have experienced firsthand what they go through in a day and I know they do a ton more the days before the con. Theres a reason we are encouraged to give these people beers and food.
                      As a goon, yes we do and you're welcome!

Would also like to give a thanks to the mohawkcon gals. They refreshed my hawk 3 times and each unique design was as rad as the last. Cant wait for next year.
                      Ed and the ladies are outstanding. Not only easily approachable but also willing to have a beer and bs with you. Known them for a few years now and they're a part of my con family!

The guys at the whitenoiselabs table were quite odd. They dont really even know ehat they are talking about. I think they are just trying to crowd source hackers to attempt to break a key method they are interested in. They claim it cannot be done. Their site is also full of troll comments about how no one can break it and black hat refused their contest submission. Could be a complete waste of time.
                      As a red shirt goon I want to say I speak for myself in saying this and not defcon OR the other goons, but those dudes went on stage and ramble ramble ramble, propaganda propaganda propaganda......at least to me. I never went by to speak with them because they honestly, to me, seemed extremely unprepared for a conference of 15k-ish people.

Last but certainly.not least JENGA WAS AWESOME!
                      That was Fox's fault mainly from 23b. Sorry we had to break it up, but when people are getting to drunk to stand and we have to shut down the parties than we also have to kick others out of the con space until the next morning.
                      Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by blueAlien View Post
                        Lastly, a special thanks to YawnBox & Salt for the ride share and Cap'n Crunch for the room share. My attendance would not have been possible was out you guys.
                        uhhhhh....I'm wanting to touch this comment so bad....but i'll leave it.
                        Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

The guys at the whitenoiselabs table were quite odd. They don't really even know what they are talking about. I think they are just trying to crowd source hackers to attempt to break a key method they are interested in. They claim it cannot be done. Their site is also full of troll comments about how no one can break it and black hat refused their contest submission. Could be a complete waste of time.!
                          Originally posted by b0n3z View Post
                          As a red shirt goon I want to say I speak for myself in saying this and not defcon OR the other goons, but those dudes went on stage and ramble ramble ramble, propaganda propaganda propaganda......at least to me. I never went by to speak with them because they honestly, to me, seemed extremely unprepared for a conference of 15k-ish people.
                          Oh. My. God. Thanks to both of you, more than you will ever know. I've been trying to figure out what was going on with all that goofy crap in the forum posted by them, and it was beginning to make me think that dementia had finally set in for sure.

I haven't been in a couple of years now, and I just figured it must be an in-crowd kind of thing that I'd missed getting the information on. I'm so happy to hear that it's not just me. I lift my cup of coffee in your general direction (the both of you).

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                            Oh. My. God. Thanks to both of you, more than you will ever know. I've been trying to figure out what was going on with all that goofy crap in the forum posted by them, and it was beginning to make me think that dementia had finally set in for sure.

I haven't been in a couple of years now, and I just figured it must be an in-crowd kind of thing that I'd missed getting the information on. I'm so happy to hear that it's not just me. I lift my cup of coffee in your general direction (the both of you).
                            Well, I had enough with that last post. That contest is a first entry into attrition.org imho.

I took a look at their contest. I wanted to play. Its BS.

https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=13636

Comment

Originally posted by blakdayz View Post
                              Well, I had enough with that last post. That contest is a first entry into attrition.org imho.

I took a look at their contest. I wanted to play. Its BS.

https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=13636
                              I didn't realize until just now that those BS posts were the same people as those crazy looking people in the contest area. I complained about that table in the "how to make DC22 better" thread, due to the large amount of floor space and tables wasted, put to no good use in the middle of the crowded contest area. All I can say is that I hope those people aren't given space next year...

Comment

Working...
                              X