current registrations, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• current registrations, etc

As of right now, we have seen an average of just under 4 lanes being rented for all of the shoot (some sessions have more than 4, some have less, but overall it seems we'll have at least 4 lanes this summer.

For now, i'm capping things at 8 lanes total. If all of the sessions get filled, we can rock with this. We'll cover costs, more or less, etc. But being that we're moving quite along on the calendar, I wanted to update folk. I'm going to get the main rental booked, planning for 8 canopy tents on the line and one more tent in the back area for reg, etc.

The only way that i can really float this whole cost all the way until July is to know for sure that we'll have folk still attending. So, if you haven't registered yet, please consider doing so.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: current registrations, etc

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    The only way that i can really float this whole cost all the way until July is to know for sure that we'll have folk still attending. So, if you haven't registered yet, please consider doing so.
    I registered for both sessions on Thursday. If we hit July and are still short a lane, I'll rent another on Thursday and stock it with toys for people. Just let me know if you're stuck and need me to cover it.

Comment

thanks, man. i don't have metrics for how the pace of things went in years past... but something does just feel a little bit slower this year.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

thanks, man. i don't have metrics for how the pace of things went in years past... but something does just feel a little bit slower this year.
        Traction in the shoot shirts thread seems bad, too. I think it might just be that as a group, we all wait until the last minute.

Comment

20 folk are confirmed registered, with an average of 5 lanes being booked at this time.

just locked in the full canopy, table, and chair rental... so i've now dropped twelve hundo on that cost. here's to hoping that folk still want to rock and roll out there with us this summer!
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Just reg'd as a non-free. Not sure my schedule and if I'll make it, but the cash should help anyways regardless.
            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Renderman, I'll have the Serbu again for you this year!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                Just reg'd as a non-free. Not sure my schedule and if I'll make it, but the cash should help anyways regardless.
                we just had a few un-free subjects register... i'm always happy to see folk from out of the USA come and do 'Murica proud with us.

look for another thread starting in a second regarding one lane of Dutch folks
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Still only five lanes, or now six maybe with the dutch posse? That is a bit down on last year. Do you think the number will increase as we approach July and August, and people get into DEFCON mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Zorlac View Post
                    Still only five lanes, or now six maybe with the dutch posse? That is a bit down on last year. Do you think the number will increase as we approach July and August, and people get into DEFCON mode?
                    that's uncertain. right now, i don't want to lose money on the shoot this summer so i'm playing it very cautious. i will very much request that people speak up here in the threads on the forum if lanes are not available and they want to commit to some.

i'd be willing to expand to an additional canopy if we can fill up at least 2 of the 4 sessions for that additional lane.
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

that's uncertain. right now, i don't want to lose money on the shoot this summer so i'm playing it very cautious. i will very much request that people speak up here in the threads on the forum if lanes are not available and they want to commit to some.

i'd be willing to expand to an additional canopy if we can fill up at least 2 of the 4 sessions for that additional lane.
                      The evening sessions are booked up so - if you do end up adding more lanes, I would be willing to book a lane for all four sessions.

Comment

Hi all. I'm a Brit coming over to Vegas for defcon and I'd like to sample some of your glorious Freedom by shooting some guns with you all. I've never even held a gun, though, and I've got no idea how it all works at all - can I 'rent' a gun while I'm there? Can I just buy bullets at a store before the event? Is my best bet to buy bullets, show up, and ask someone if I can use their gun in exchange for some bullets? Would using someone else's gun even be legal?

Do I just register, show up, and.. shoot guns? I assume there's some n00b-orientation "don't point it at yourself" talk at the start.

I hope these aren't too n00b-ish questions! I've read the site but I just know too little about guns (and America) to really get it all.

Comment

Originally posted by jen2 View Post
                          Hi all. I'm a Brit coming over to Vegas for defcon and I'd like to sample some of your glorious Freedom by shooting some guns with you all. I've never even held a gun, though, and I've got no idea how it all works at all - can I 'rent' a gun while I'm there? Can I just buy bullets at a store before the event? Is my best bet to buy bullets, show up, and ask someone if I can use their gun in exchange for some bullets? Would using someone else's gun even be legal?

Do I just register, show up, and.. shoot guns? I assume there's some n00b-orientation "don't point it at yourself" talk at the start.

I hope these aren't too n00b-ish questions! I've read the site but I just know too little about guns (and America) to really get it all.

I do not run this, and I am not staff with this or RSO. All of the items below are from experience in attending a few years. If Deviant has revisions or new information, go with what he says -- he is the guy running this.

Last check, none of the "gun stores" provide rental to use non-LEO, out-of-towners to take out of the stores. "The Gun Store" and "American Shooters" have their own ranges for you to shoot the weapons they have available for rent, but only on their locations. Other "private ranches" have assortments of weapons to rent. However, this is not a commercial thing. This unofficial DEF CON event is organized by Deviant Ollam and several people that volunteer to help him as Range-Masters or RSO.

At the DEF CON shoot, each person that brings their own weapons will have their own policies on allowing other people to shoot them. Some may allow people to shoot .22 cal for free, but reserve use of .50 cal, or full-automatic weapons to just themselves or by fee. (Bullets are expensive, and generally, the larger the calibre, the more costly. Also? Full-automatic weapons can easily burn through $50 or more in ammo under a minute: rate-of-fire x cost-per-round = $$)

From this, it is in your interest to be social, and introduce yourself to people with weapons when the range is not "hot" -- you can find out who is willing and able to share their experience. Many "gun people" find this sporting or entertaining, and find joy in sharing this entertainment with others.

In past years, some people have volunteered to run an "open table" with a primary concern to share use of what they bring, and a focus to help people new to handling and shooting firearms. We all benefit if you ask questions and learn.

Even if people tell you shooting their weapons is free, please offer them some cash to help them cover the costs of rounds fired, cleaning & prep, plus transportation and time to bring them out.The can still decline payment if they want, but not offering something for these individuals can slowly lead to fewer people being willing to share in the future. (Much like the Toxic BBQ: First years? Everyone donated and shared, leading to a surplus, and extra stuff being brought back to goons at the hotel. Over time, more consumers than producers changed the culture.)

On introductions...

Check out Deviant Ollams site for the schedule for each day:

http://deviating.net/firearms/defcon_shoot/

A serious consideration each year is safety, so rules have been covered every year, with the assumption that there are new people every year that should hear them. Most experienced people understand the need for re-stating the rules for safe use of firearms, even if they know all of them.

The "Intro & Safety" after registration on the web page mentioned above has what you are after. You should be asked and be informed of things like
                          1) What are the 3 (or 4) rules for safe use of firearms (you can look them up online before you arrive.) -- 3 or 4 depending on how they are grouped.
                          2) What does it mean when the lanes/range is "hot" and how is a change to "hot" announced?
                          3) What is a "cease fire"?
                          4) Who can call a, "cease fire" and how?
                          5) What should I do to firearms when a cease fire is called?
                          6) When is is safe to move forward of "the line" to fix targets or adjust targets or inspect results?
                          7) What do I do if a round becomes "stuck" in the chamber , I encounter a jamb with or without a live round , or round does not get discharged when the firing pin engaged the round?
                          8) What is a Range Master? What about RSO? (Range Safety Officer) What about staff?
                          9) How do I identify the RSOs?
                          10) Which direction should the dangerous end of firearms be pointed when at the range?
                          11) When can I bring my firearms to the tables?
                          12) When can I handle firearms after setup, to show them off, and share the experience of holding them?
                          11) Some people are sensitive to having their pictures being taken. Historically, you could announce your preference on being photographed or filmed. Ask about this if not covered, and please respect people's wishes on not being photographed or filmed. (Historically, there were 3 indicators: 1-- no pictures, 2-- pictures ok, but not on any public, social media, 3-- pictures fine, anywhere)
                          12) Other "BLM" rules may be covered.
                          13) Other questions?

Bring your questions with you, and ask Deviant Ollam and other staff when you show up, or ask here on the forums.

I won't be there this year, but I plan to return to it next year.
                          Last edited by TheCotMan; June 26, 2014, 23:41.

Comment

Deviant gives each lane a sign that let's you know if they allow other people to use their lane.

So those that allow others in their lane, you can ask to rent their equipment. I post a sign with prices because it can be hard to communicate.

I'd suggest you make it known that you are unfamiliar with guns. As long as you can follow instructions it won't be a problem. Like others said, you won't be the first newbie to rent a gun, just make it known so we can help you if you need it.

I take the approach that there is no dumb question on the line. If you dont understand a response from me, or didn't hear, ask me again, as many times as it takes. I'd rather spend 2+ minutes explaining something insignificant than have a newbie "wing it" with a gun they are not familiar with.

Comment

Great, thanks to both of you, that's really helpful :)

Comment

Working...
                              X