Out of Curiosity, Authors, past and future::::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Curiosity, Authors, past and future::::

Hm. How many of you would be willing/interested in discussion of an anthology of submitted tales? Not necessarily for sale, perhaps for inclusion in Con package upon registration, maybe? Or perhaps a small fee for an e-book download? Or it could be put up on the DEF CON media server maybe..just throwing out ideas right now, none of that has been actually discussed with ANYBODY from con staff.

I know I would need to research author permission contracts, of course. This isn't a for profit idea by any means so if you want to immediately ask "How much will you pay me?" I can immediately say "I can't pay you crap." I'm a volunteer, even I don't do this for pay.

But we are accruing a good bunch of stories, many of which con-goers don't really get to see, unless they too were on the forums ahead of time. Judging from then number of overall "people's choice" votes, not nearly as wide an audience as your work COULD be getting(those 15K con attendees I am thinking of, for example.)

Put in your $.02, let's hash this idea around for awhile and see what falls out.
    "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Great idea! I think most con goers have never seen any of the stories or even know there is a short story contest - because it all takes place before the con, and it is never even mentioned in the awards part of the closing ceremony. Sure the contest winners are listed in the program and the stories are in the CD but the contest could still use more visibility. I like the idea of an anthology of all the stories submitted to date as an ebook in the conference CD and as a download.
    “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.”

Comment

Originally posted by number006 View Post
      Great idea! I think most con goers have never seen any of the stories or even know there is a short story contest - because it all takes place before the con, and it is never even mentioned in the awards part of the closing ceremony. Sure the contest winners are listed in the program and the stories are in the CD but the contest could still use more visibility. I like the idea of an anthology of all the stories submitted to date as an ebook in the conference CD and as a download.
      Thanks for the feedback! Last year, for the first time, the contest did have a chance to be up on stage at the Contest Closing Ceremonies. It will be there again this coming year, I believe, so hopefully, that will help also!

Comment

Me and Princess think it's a great idea. There's a lot of stories submitted and some people may not have another outlet they sent it to.
        A fox in a box of bricks and blocks.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! We have quite a few years of submissions, for sure! All deserve to be read!

Comment

Working...
          X