No announcement yet.

linux on toshiba troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I got the problem isolated now. I'm in the process of setting it up. I'll post the resolution as soon as I KNOW it works. Thanks goes out to everyone who helped. Sorry for the bone headed comment earlier skroo, I meant it purly in fun. That last comment you made was the one to help me figure it out. Turns out to be a kernel issue. I installed LILO and same not synching message came up.
    Killing threads one post at a time...

Comment

I wouldnt worry about LILO and the MBR. If you happen to corrupt it, you can use the windows bootable cd to rebuild your mbr. You'll temporarily lose LILO boot options, but thats also easily fixed by booting with the distro's boot cd and redoing LILO. The only thing you need to be mindful of would be the hidden partitions most of the factory images have on them for suspend and backup functions.

The 2.4.x kernel also has optional modules for toshiba laptops. I'd suggest making those a part of your kernel when you are fixing the other problems.

You should thank your lucky stars you arent trying to dual boot linux on a sony, compaq or hp.
      Yes I'm back bitch!

And darker than ever

Comment

never had any issues on my sony laptop. Has there been problems on the newer models.. such as hidden partitions?

Comment

I made sure there was no hidden nothing on that harddrive since day 1. I was about to say you didn't have any probs pyro.
          Killing threads one post at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by pyrophite
            never had any issues on my sony laptop. Has there been problems on the newer models.. such as hidden partitions?
            The known problems for sony hardware are hidden partitions, which these days are quite popular on every major brand. Second problem Ive heard is with its hardware in general. Some of the video chipsets in newer vaios werent supported, and audio was flaky at best. I've also heard the integrated 10/100 NIC has been a known issue on some models. Im sure there are more, but generally the sony's are kown in linux circles to be low on the totem pole for linux compatability. Granted HP/Compaq are the worst for that task, and it is possible to put linux on a vaio. But it might be more trouble than its worth.
            Yes I'm back bitch!

And darker than ever

Comment

the problem with sony laptops is that they are built so crappy that they actually bend a little when you pick it up on one side of it. as you can imagine this "bending" is not good for "computer stuff" and the crap inside the laptop physically breaks after a while. so, if you want a laptop to take with you everywhere, stay away from them, but if you just want something that moves easily, the sony's are pretty nice.

--simple3

Comment

Working...
              X