Antenna Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna Question

For all those Portland wardrivers (or wardrivers in general), how powerful of an antenna should I use for wardriving around the Portland area? Ive heard nothing less then 15dbi but those are a bit too expensive for my taste and was hoping something less might work. If 15dbi is the least I should use, should I try making my own antenna?
    The penguin is watching.
    "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

A minimum 15dbi huh? That's silly. Take a look at my post in this thread. for more info.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

So the 5dbi will be fine huh? Cool thats great because the 5dbi antenna I was looking is right in my price range. Thanks Chris.
      The penguin is watching.

Comment

I use the built in one on my WaveLAN Gold with an ipaq...

I need an antenna...
        #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

Originally posted by kampf
          I use the built in one on my WaveLAN Gold with an ipaq...

I need an antenna...
          here is my iPAQ setup :)
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
            here is my iPAQ setup :)
            Very vool BW, how much did they set-up cost you?
            The penguin is watching.

Comment

Originally posted by EeeekPenguins
              Very vool BW, how much did they set-up cost you?
              What you see in the picture was bought all new. No coupons or deals or stacked online rebates... I just pretty much walked into a couple of stores and picked it all up, except the yagi and the card... let's see...

iPAQ, PCMCIA sleeve, car adapter around 1200 out the door with tax
              ORiNOCO Gold around 80
              GPS, cables, mounts, adapters around 350
              Yagi around 70

so that is around 1700, but more around 2000 ... it isn't cheap that is for sure.

Comment

What you see in the picture was bought all new. No coupons or deals or stacked online rebates... I just pretty much walked into a couple of stores and picked it all up, except the yagi and the card... let's see...

iPAQ, PCMCIA sleeve, car adapter around 1200 out the door with tax
                ORiNOCO Gold around 80
                GPS, cables, mounts, adapters around 350
                Yagi around 70

so that is around 1700, but more around 2000 ... it isn't cheap that is for sure.
                Ok cool, I got a b-day coming up so I know what Ill be asking for, for my b-day hehe.
                The penguin is watching.

Comment

I got myself the 5dbi mag mount and it is perfect if you want to seriously get into wardriving, a gps would also be nice, so you can share your findings...;) I am in the market for a directional antenna to slap on my car, any suggestions?
                  ~:CK:~
                  I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by ck3k
                    I got myself the 5dbi mag mount and it is perfect if you want to seriously get into wardriving, a gps would also be nice, so you can share your findings...;) I am in the market for a directional antenna to slap on my car, any suggestions?
                    Something like this is pretty decent:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20321

Comment

I have an old GPS III will that work for wardriving? Or should i buy an eTrex?
                      The penguin is watching.

Comment

I have an old GPS III will that work for wardriving? Or should i buy an eTrex?
                        If you have a cable to go your iPAQ all you need are the NMEA sentences that your gps is spitting out and 4800...

You can check out my pda setup cabling here: I haven't bought a custom cable to do both dc and data for both the ipaq and the garmin... but here is out to setup the cabling and adapters to make it work:

http://forums.netstumbler.com/showth...&threadid=2911 *you must be registered to access this url.

Cables/Connectors
                        Belkin USB/Serial Y-Sync Cable for iPAQ H3800 Series
                        RadioShack Male DB9-Male DB9 Gender Adapter
                        RadioShack Null Modem Adapter
                        Garmin Serial Connector

---

GPS->GARMIN_CONNNECTOR-CABLE-SERIAL_DB9_FEMALE
                        which connected to
                        DB9_MALE_GENDER_CHANGER_DB9_MALE
                        which connected to
                        FEMALE_NULL_MODEM_ADAPTER_MALE
                        which connected to
                        FEMALE_BELKIN_IPAQ_DATA_CABLE->IPAQ

Comment

Once again...hooray for BW! I think I'm just going to go buy the eTrex. They are pretty cheap and I need a new GPS anyways.
                          The penguin is watching.

Comment

Once again...hooray for BW! I think I'm just going to go buy the eTrex. They are pretty cheap and I need a new GPS anyways.
                            One thing to be aware of with the eTrex (yellow) is that it doesn't come with the data cable, you have to buy that seperate. It cost about 30-40 bucks so if you can find a deal on one of the other eTrex models you might be better off going with that. I got a very good deal on my eTrex (yellow) and was able to get the GPS and the data cable for the price of just the GPS, but that was because the dude at Best Buy didn't know what he was doing.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                              One thing to be aware of with the eTrex (yellow) is that it doesn't come with the data cable, you have to buy that seperate. It cost about 30-40 bucks so if you can find a deal on one of the other eTrex models you might be better off going with that. I got a very good deal on my eTrex (yellow) and was able to get the GPS and the data cable for the price of just the GPS, but that was because the dude at Best Buy didn't know what he was doing.
                              Hey Chris does the Legend come with the data cable? or would I have to purchase the data cable with all of them?
                              The penguin is watching.

Comment

Working...
                              X