Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REDHAT SUCKS!... WHY DOES IT SUCK?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • REDHAT SUCKS!... WHY DOES IT SUCK?

    Originally posted by murakami
    Does Redhat even have an NTFS rpm for download? I couldn't find it on their site. I use this one:

    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html
    Couldn't tell you if redhat does or not. Why? Redhat sucks, so I don't use it.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ashman
    Couldn't tell you if redhat does or not. Why? Redhat sucks, so I don't use it.
    I'm curious as to why you think Redhat sucks.
    apprentice

    Comment


    • #3
      redhat is ok but it can have problems sometimes but its my fav. gui for linux/unix

      Comment


      • #4
        that would be kde
        ARRR!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jetforce4004
          redhat is ok but it can have problems sometimes but its my fav. gui for linux/unix
          Holy shit...would you PLEASE email that sentence to me so that I can put you in my hall of shame.
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

          Comment


          • #6
            As for Red Hat's GUI, it defaults to GNOME, however KDE comes with it as well.
            apprentice

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 0versight
              Or Gnome.



              Yeah, I would like to know why it sucks? I think its a pretty damn good OS. Very easy to use and at the same time very powerful. I dont know why people say a certain Distro sucks when they dont back it up by saying why they believe it sucks in the first place.
              If this doesn't answer your question as to why RedHat sucks..then by all means continue to enjoy it:
              http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat.html
              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

              Comment


              • #8
                hmm i thought kde was the default....oh well, i dont use it.
                Last edited by h3adrush; January 22, 2003, 18:42.
                ARRR!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chris
                  If this doesn't answer your question as to why RedHat sucks..then by all means continue to enjoy it:
                  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat.html
                  Let me first remind you that I'm one of the newbies here and I am seeking to learn. With that said I will again don my sunglasses to protect my eyes from the flames

                  As I understand it these would, for the most part, be security problems with the bundled apps as opposed to the kernel. Don't most distributions come with the same apps that would have the same security problems?
                  apprentice

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by apprentice
                    Let me first remind you that I'm one of the newbies here and I am seeking to learn. With that said I will again don my sunglasses to protect my eyes from the flames

                    As I understand it these would, for the most part, be security problems with the bundled apps as opposed to the kernel. Don't most distributions come with the same apps that would have the same security problems?
                    Compare:
                    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware.html
                    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by h3adrush
                      hmm i thought kde was the default....
                      That would be Mandrake.. not sure about Suse, etc.
                      Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That obviously bears further study on my part. I know I'm asking a question that could have an extremely long answer, for all I know there might not be an easy explanation. But what is the cause for the differences in the number of the security advisories. I would assume that the two distributions don't implement the apps the same way with the same hooks to the kernel. Is this the crux of the problem?
                        apprentice

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chris
                          If this doesn't answer your question as to why RedHat sucks..then by all means continue to enjoy it:
                          http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat.html
                          Yep, RH is bloatware, but I continue use it because its easy to find support/rpms. Its reasonably secure if you only turn on the things you need, keep it to a minimal install and install the patches. Oh yeah, the other reason I use RH is that I'm lazy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was looking at gentoo linux,http://www.gentoo.org/ it seems like a good distro for the power user. I have used mandrake and RH, both are good for the lazy person who loves RPMs.
                            ~:CK:~
                            I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I use Gentoo. It is pretty nice, but all the coolness of USE variables has its problems. I mostly stick to FreeBSD.

                              on Red Hat: RedHat is especially susceptible to haxxoring because of its widespread useage (like Windows) regardless of wheter or not it is a better or more secure product. It is in the spotlight and that makes it easier to see its imperfections. I don't think criteria should be the sole criteria for establishing it's suckiness. Maybe there is a reason that it is in such widespread usage.

                              --simple3

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X