AP Tried to rip me off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Tried to rip me off!

Last night, I tried to reserve a Majestic for 6 nights, starting on 7/29.

They took all my info, confirmed the reservation, and THEN told me the rate. I had my browser open at the time, and had gotten the rates from http://alexispark.com/, via their online reservation system.

They told me it'd be $219.00 for each of the 6 nights, when the webpage clearly showed, in normal black font, that the rate from 7/29-7/31 for a Majestic was $199.00 per night.

Of course, this went round and round and round. Spoke to the shift manager. Spoke to the Group Sales Manager. Spoke to Sam (the GM's) assistant. Finally managed to get the GM herself on the phone, and she hung up on me.

Every AP employee I spoke to was rude, condescending, and entirely unhelpful.

All I wanted was for the information on the website to jibe with what I was being told on the phone. And at that time, the information on the website said that those rooms were $199.00 per night until Friday, and $219 thereafter.

Was it unreasonable for me to expect to be charged the advertised rate? Apparently.

So, I cancelled the (unfairly made) reservation. And now, they're trying to charge me for the first night anyway -- at the $219.00 rate. I'm disputing it via my credit card company, and have the rate screen I was looking at saved as evidence.

To add insult to injury, they apparently called whoever manages that page, and had the rooms all put in bold red for those dates, and the rates jacked up from $199.00 to $600.00.

Not once did anyone attempt to see my side of the story. Not once did any of them give me the benefit of the doubt. Basically, I wasn't once treated like potential (or current) business -- instead, I was treated as an unwelcome annoyance.

If nothing else, why didn't someone tumble to me repeatedly claiming that the weeknights for those dates were $199.00, when they're actually (if they are) $600.00, and correct me? That's all it would have taken (well, that and an explanation as to why their own website had vastly different information on it, checked from seven different browsers and three separate computers on two separate /8s).

This would have been my first year to stay at the AP. Having now dealt with their staff, I'm happy to say I won't be staying there. If this is how they treat their prospective customers, I'd hate to see how they treat their guests.

Looks like I'll be taking my money and spending it at the MGM instead. At least they don't treat their current and future guests like crap there.
    http://bitshift.org

Are you sure it wasn't a tax thing? The advertised Monarch rates are $119, but effectively after taxes it is actually close to $130.

There rate/room system is quite funky.. and I am not sure that the $600 rates were specific to your situation. I had tried getting a room for 7 nights via their website.. which of course it would not allow, with all days besides the weekend being some crazy non-standard price.... and this was a month or so ago for me

The lesson I have learned with the AP is, never rely on their website for anything... it's only good for their mailing address
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

yep. I'm certain....the $219.00/night is $238 and change with tax.

It's a moot point, now, as I have a MUCH larger room in the MGM Grand, with a huge whirlpool tub.

For less than the AP was going to charge me for their (rather mediocre) rooms.

Sure, I won't have a room at the AP during the con, but on the upside, I won't have a room at the AP during the con! :D

Comment

Originally posted by urban
        Every AP employee I spoke to was rude, condescending, and entirely unhelpful
        but hey check out their spiffy defcon-themed staff shirts...

welcome to the club!... I got a week reserved at the AP, but luckily I called back after getting some bogus quotes a few months ago and finally got something decent...

Comment

The AP is just a bit much for me. I figure get a hotel only a couple blocks away and spend that extra money on booze and strippers thats my plan. And I need to save so I can get that male stripper for Highwizard ;)
          The penguin is watching.
          "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Update: When the troubles began, I told Opera to print the webpage to a file, giving me a PostScript copy of the page (at the time, I didn't have xv installed on the system, so I couldn't take a screenshot).

Using ghostscript, I dumped this to a JPEG file, and put it online:

http://bitshift.org/images/ap-rates.jpg

For some reason, the red used to indicate blocked out rooms/dates didn't come out, but the ones that were in red are the prices that are in bold in that image. Note that the Crown, Majestic, and Regal rooms are not bolded for 7/29-7/31, and the prices are not those that are now listed on the reservations system for those dates.

They changed the data from this to what's now online shortly after Sam (the AP General Manager) hung up on me. However, the timestamp at the lower left of the image is accurate.

Blackbeetle: I tried to contact you re: this per your sticky post on the forum today, but your profile only allows email contact, and you've got that disabled.

Comment

blackbeetle@defcon.org
              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                blackbeetle@defcon.org

Thanks. Should have been obvious, in retrospect. Anyway, blackbeetle, "You've got mail!"

Comment

urban: That really does bite and I'm glad you found a room elsewhere for cheaper than what you could have paid at the AP. I decided to get a room elsewhere when I waited too long on getting my suite booked and I ended up staying in the Luxor. I saved myself a good $100 on the weekend and I even got to stay in the pyramid.

The one problem with that was I ended up paying almost $120 taking taxis to and from my hotel from the AP, so I really didn't save anything at all. Fortunatley, I've got a reservation at the Amerisuites this year so I'm walking distance from the con and I'm saving about $40/night on a room. Total win/win there.
                  boogah
                  boogah[at]gominosensei[dot]org
                  http://gominosensei.org/

Comment

Originally posted by boogah
                    urban: That really does bite and I'm glad you found a room elsewhere for cheaper than what you could have paid at the AP. I decided to get a room elsewhere when I waited too long on getting my suite booked and I ended up staying in the Luxor. I saved myself a good $100 on the weekend and I even got to stay in the pyramid.

The one problem with that was I ended up paying almost $120 taking taxis to and from my hotel from the AP, so I really didn't save anything at all. Fortunatley, I've got a reservation at the Amerisuites this year so I'm walking distance from the con and I'm saving about $40/night on a room. Total win/win there.

Yep...I'm driving down to LV, so getting to/from the AP won't require a taxi this year. I've stayed in the Amerisuites before, and really enjoyed it. For a really inexpensive room, they're quite nice (and across the street from the Quick-E-Mart). I stopped when they stopped having STSN in the rooms.

Comment

Yep...I'm driving down to LV, so getting to/from the AP won't require a taxi this year.
                      I have always rented a car and driven to dc, but this year i am flying in since I always take a cab anyway because I don't want to lose my rockstar parking space... :) luckily all my stuff is coming in a van during the week i am there so I just have to carry on some hardware in a bag (and a change of clothes) and I am set :) I don't go anwhere else than the con [ima vegas-hater] (and this year's blackhat)... so i am good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                        .. because I don't want to lose my rockstar parking space...
                        How's the parking pre-con? just as bad? or will I be set if I situate it on Weds for the weekend? This is a minor concern of mine this year...
                        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                          How's the parking pre-con? just as bad? or will I be set if I situate it on Weds for the weekend? This is a minor concern of mine this year...
                          pre-con it is a dream... it is during the con when other people from other hotels drive their cars and park at the AP that the whole thing gets fucked up in a big way...and people that paid to stay at the AP end up parking in BFE... if i had it my way I'd ticket/tow those motherfuckers that take the parking space I paid for. ... that's right, now what?!

Comment

Re: AP Tried to rip me off!

hey let me know if you stay at the mgm during ap, last year i was at the mgm pre-dc but moved to ap afterwards cause i knew no one else up at mgm... i'd MUCH rather stay at the mgm, much much nicer and more things to do... anyh0w. if yer gonna stay up there let me know and we'll have to hook up to do alcohol consuming during that period. im not positive on the dates yet, but i'll probably be out the week before dc again..

Last night, I tried to reserve a Majestic for 6 nights, starting on 7/29.

Looks like I'll be taking my money and spending it at the MGM instead. At least they don't treat their current and future guests like crap there.
                            Last edited by encieno; March 29, 2003, 10:08.
                            -encieno
                            www.mirage.org
                            encieno@aim

Comment

Re: Re: AP Tried to rip me off!

Originally posted by encieno

[fairly uninteresting post removed]
                              [large heinous unused quoting removed]

PLEASE TRIM YOUR POSTS.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...