Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing the Data Duplication Village!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing the Data Duplication Village!

Announcing the DATA DUPLICATION VILLAGE at DEF CON 23

New for DEF CON 23 is the evolution of the last years DEF CON Media server drive duplication into the data duplication village.

HERE IS HOW IT WILL WORK
    DEF CON will provide a core set of drive duplicators as well as content. It will be a first come, first served situation. Bring and label your 6TB SATA blank drives, and put them in the queue for the data you want and 14 hours later it is done.

WHAT TO BRING
    _ 6TB SATA3 new drive(s) - If you want a full copy of everything you will need three.
    _ Any data you want to contribute to be shared, in USB, HDD, or DVD format

You can both contribute data to be duplicated, as well as bring blank drives to get copies and help spread the knowledge.
    Those who want to share their own collections or help with duplication are encouraged to bring their own collections and drive dupers. If your collection is smaller we are thinking of getting some USB thumb drive duplicators for smaller batches. We also will have a DVD duper tower, so bring those legacy DVDs.

THE DATA DUMP
    Here is what we are planning to make available:

6TB drive 1-3: All past hacking convention videos that DT could find, built on last years collection
    6TB drive 2-3: freerainbowtables.com hash tables (1-2)
    6TB drive 3-3: GSM A5/1 hash tables plus remaining freerainbowtables.com data (2-2)

WANT TO ADD TO THE DATA DUMP?
    It's not too late. Know of a collection you want included? A repository you want mirrored? Post here with a link and I'll let you know if it makes it on the drive.

HOW IT WORKS
    Label your drive(s) with your name, which collection number you want on it, how to contact you, and then check it in. It will be put in the queue for duplication on a first come - first served basis.

Bring your own drive duplicators and help share the data for more people. Hang out, make friends!

NOTES
    Duplicating a 6TB (About 5.46 usable) drive at ~110 Megabytes a second comes out to about 13.8 hours. I'll know more once I to a test duplication. This means the first dupe will start early in the morning, and the second dupe late at night. We will create a schedule so you know when the deadlines to check in drive is.

Last year we had four 1:11 duplication towers going all con long. This year we are switching to a cheaper solution with only two towers and a whole bunch of 1:5 duplicators. Last year we had 44 drives maximum duplicating at a time. This year the goal is to increase that to over 60.

OK, this is the initial announcement, fire away with any questions!

The Dark Tangent
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Currently these are the hacking / security conventions that will be included. If you see any I have missed please post the name and link here.

2600 (HOPE)
    44Con
    AIDE
    AthCon
    AVTokyo
    Black Hat USA
    Black Hat Europe
    Black Hat Asia
    Black Hat Other
    BlueHat
    BoostCon
    BruCON
    Bsides Collections
    CactusCon
    CarolinaCon
    CERIAS
    Chaos Computer Club
    Circle City Con
    CodeBLUE
    CONfidence
    CrikeyCon
    DeepSec
    DerbyCon
    DojoCon
    eth-0
    GrrCON
    Hackers 2 Hackers H2HC
    Hack In Paris
    Hack in the Box HITB Asia
    Hack in the Box HITB Europe
    HAL / HAR / HES / OHM 2013 / WTH
    Hack3rCon
    Hack.lu
    Hacktivity
    Hacks in Taiwan (HITCON)
    KiwiCon
    NLUUG
    notacon
    nullcon
    Nuit Du Hack NDH
    OISF
    Open Security Training
    OWASP
    Positive Hack Days (PHD)
    ph Neutral
    Phreaknic
    QuahogCon
    Recon
    RuxCon
    RSA USA
    RSA APAC
    RSA Europe
    SecTor
    ShmooCon
    SIGINT
    SkyDogCon
    SOURCE Boston
    SOURCE Europe
    SummerCon
    SyScan
    TakeDownCon
    THOTCON
    ToorCon
    Troopers
    WOOT
    You Shot The Sheriff
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Will the data also be available via network again this year? (Particularly the 1st 6TB.) I want to at least get some of the goodies if I can't get into the duplicators...

Comment

Yep, it will all be on the network as well. Well the 1st 6TB cons drive will be, the rainbow tables only in the duper village.

We are trying to build a bittorrent portable sharing zone. Esentially a bunch of 802.11ac APs, a tracker, and a forum style site where you can upload and download seeds. I think this would be one of the fastest ways to share, but I don't think it will be ready for this year.

Comment

What about just using something like BTSync? [url]https://www.getsync.com/[/url]

~L0G1C

Comment

Will the hard disks we bring need to have a specific filesystem? Does the type of partition table matter?

Comment

I would assume they are doing raw duplication, but perhaps not. If I can just sick a drive in the machine, it should just make a copy of the disk image complete with filesystem specification.
              ZFS for me most likely.

Comment

L0rd Midnight, you are correct, the source drives are NTFS and so after sector duplication you will end up with a NTFS formatted drive.

UPDATES:

OK, so I have built the two rainbow table drives and am looking to fill some spare space.

Here is what is on them:

Tables #1
                - lanman 397megs
                - sql 1,483 megs
                - ntlm 3,956 megs
                ------------------------------> 5,31TB out of 5.58 max

Tables #2
                - A5/1 GSM 1,676 megs
                - MD5 3,889 megs
                ------------------------------> 5.06TB out of 5.58 max

As you can see I have some spare space and am looking for things to fill it with. Any suggestions?

Comment

@DT

Do you have a list of what new content has been added compared to Last years content. ?
                  $search = Get-Droids | Where{$_ -notnear $jedi} ` If($search -eq $null){Move-Along}

Comment

• Dark Tangent
                    Dark Tangent commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No easy way to do that, but essentially any updates to the cons from last year plus new hacker cons that I have tracked down this year.

@DT

Here are some tools that would be useful for anyone looking to play at the ICS Village, [url]http://tinyurl.com/okrgrno[/url]

The list includes:

AX_SW_SUITE_1.82_Hotfix_1.zip
                  AX_SW_Suite_2015_182.zip
                  Installer_CAS Modbus Scanner.exe
                  Installer_CAS_Modbus_TCP_Parser.exe
                  kali-linux-1.1.0a-amd64.iso
                  libmodbus-3.0.6.tar.gz
                  MatrikonOPC_UCS_BMSSuite.exe
                  MatrikonOPCExplorer.EXE
                  mod_RSsim.exe
                  modturnt_DNPturnt.zip
                  OpenOPC-1.3.1.source.tar.bz2
                  pymodbus-0.9.0.tar.gz
                  pymodbus-0.9.0.zip
                  SamuraiSTFU-1.8.vmware.zip
                  SamuraiSTFU-1.8.vmware.zip.sha256

If there is still space can we include these?

Comment

Sure, I'll get them online and on the disks.

Comment

I've started another thread on how to share and leech files with your computer in the Data Village.

[url]https://forum.defcon.org/forum/defcon/dc23-official-unofficial-parties-social-gatherings-events-contests/dc23-official-and-unofficial-events/media-server-content-at-def-con-aa/221011-how-to-share-and-leech-in-the-data-sharing-village[/url]

Comment

WARNING! WARNING! After almost two days of troubleshooting it turns out that the SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 6TB DRIVES DO NOT WORK with any of the dupers. If you are bringing drives make sure you use only their desktop drives (ST6000DX000)

Comment

Based on post above, any other drives we should avoid? Was thinking of using a WD60EFRX (for various reasons)
                          Sounds like the STBD6000100 works fine?

Comment

• Dark Tangent
                            Dark Tangent commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I heard from the Data Village folks running the machines that the WD RED drives had the most compatibility problems with the (older) tower dupers but worked fine in the newer desktop 1:5 dupers.

@DT

Infiltrate 2015

Comment

• Dark Tangent
                            Dark Tangent commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, I'd like it too. Do you have a link for me to add it please?
                        Working...
                        X