Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do badges go on sale for 24?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When do badges go on sale for 24?

    Hi all,

    When (date and time(ish)) do badges go on sale for DC24? Id like to attend an event Thursday morning what requires me to have a badge prior.

    Thanks,
    //GeekSedition
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

  • #2
    Unless you to go BlackHat, you'll pick up your DEF CON badge at the Con starting Thursday morning. Some folks will start camping out on Wednesday to be the first in line to get theirs. Last year, we got in line around 7:50am local time and had badges in hand shortly before 10:00am local time. Important to note, the badge sales (and everything DEF CON) are cash only. Last year was my first year actually going *to* the CON and I wrote up a short post mortem of some lessons learned here.
    .: This post contains 100% recycled electrons :.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks sainate ,

      I hope somebody can confirm this as there are workshops starting at 9am on Thursday. I am hoping they would start selling Wednesday afternoon because we cant be expected to camp out all night to be the first in line to get a pass then BOOK IT over to the workshops... This concerns me because I am interested in a workshop that has materials and I am about to shell out a few bucks. ;)

      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
      TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

      Comment


      • #4
        My understanding here (perhaps TheCotMan can chime in to confirm) is that the events (workshops, talks [like DC101], etc.) that open before the badge sales are somewhat lenient on letting folks in without badges. Again, can't confirm, but that's my understanding.

        Complete tangent here but I just noticed your sig and had to giggle. I spent a good bit of time on the Tandy kit (TRS80, CoCo, CoCo II and then several of the Tandy 1000 iterations) and much of that time was spent on BBS's at speeds ranging from 300Baud to 56kb/s (well, around 34kb/s). Good times :)
        .: This post contains 100% recycled electrons :.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by geeksedition View Post
          Thanks sainate ,

          I hope somebody can confirm this as there are workshops starting at 9am on Thursday. I am hoping they would start selling Wednesday afternoon because we cant be expected to camp out all night to be the first in line to get a pass then BOOK IT over to the workshops... This concerns me because I am interested in a workshop that has materials and I am about to shell out a few bucks. ;)
          Badges will go on sale EARLY Thursday morning. ( Time TBA)

          As for workshops, yes, we agree. We realized this tight timeframe ourselves and have moved workshops to start at 10am on Thursday, this should give people plenty of time to get their badges and hit the workshops in time. We just have not updated the website/schedule yet.



          "Haters, gonna hate"

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for replying all. I think I am going to have to play it safe here and opt out of the workshop I was going to go to. I would have LOVED to attend Dallas 's morning workshop on hacking with RasPi, but after exchange this will cost me almost $400, and I am not taking a chance at missing it. more over, to be in LineCon for so many hours and EARLY, Then have to absorb a load of material... just not the bast sadly.

            But I do appreciate the responses!

            sainate A Tandy Colour Computer 3 was my first computer I owned. Was sad to learn my parents sold it at a Garage Sale year ago...
            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
            TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

            Comment


            • #7
              geeksedition , one thing that's definitely worth noting is that I had a BLAST in 'LineCon' last year (yes, as odd as that sounds). Met a ton of cool folks and there were several folks / groups of folks that were doing cool things (tossing a beachball, playing music, doing the wave, etc.). Also, the Goons were doing their part to make the lines cool. Short story, don't discount the opportunity to have fun in unexpected places at DEF CON :)
              .: This post contains 100% recycled electrons :.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am actually looking forward to LineCon this year! Last year I came in late (was the only flight I could get) and a friend picked up my pass. I'm looking forward to lineCon this year as I should return the favour ;) I also read your N00b experience. Great post, and I like the putting your Name on the badge... Great idea! Perhaps our paths will cross! Should they, I'm buying beer. :) In fact, in the spirit of anyone reading, should you find me at DefCon, Ill buy you a beer! FIND ME! hehehehe

                Cheers!
                __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
                TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

                Comment


                • #9
                  geeksedition free beer!! Now I have a mission, beer is expensive in Vegas :)
                  .: This post contains 100% recycled electrons :.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Beer *CAN* be .... If you know the right spots... and I know a few.... plant your ass at a penny slot and pay your pennies to the alcohol gods {by that I mean roll one cent rolls in a slot machine) and if your in one of the right sports.... the waitress will come by and you get a beer. Tip her a $1 (she will come back faster) and you can take that beer and go, or just slowly roll those 1 cent rolls until you get another... :P Though this is only my second con coming up, I have been in the trade show circuit for a while and I have been to Vegas too many times.

                    Find me if you can! Hint: My hair is a bit longer and different style now! Good Luck!

                    CHEERS!

                    PS: Damn it... I tried to upload a face pic... Not allowed.... anyway just invert my buddy icon :P
                    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
                    TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Geeks edition, should you change your mind. I can confirm you will be allowed in the workshop (Pi one) without a badge should you be unable to obtain one prior to the workshop. I might even be able to provide you one by that time if its really a problem. Us COCO users (mine was a 1,2,3 and the Micro one) need to look out for each other.

                      -D
                      +++ Dallas +++

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                        Geeks edition, should you change your mind. I can confirm you will be allowed in the workshop (Pi one) without a badge should you be unable to obtain one prior to the workshop. I might even be able to provide you one by that time if its really a problem. Us COCO users (mine was a 1,2,3 and the Micro one) need to look out for each other.

                        -D
                        If you have made arrangements with a goon or department head to get passed any badge check, please encourage them to post a reply here that says as such so it can be used as a reference for them to point to in case there is a problem at any badge control stations before accessing the area. I do not know who is going to be enforcing badge-controls at any point in con. Maybe this will be handled by the people organizing courses? Maybe someone else?

                        Goons that run badge control access may not be the same people responsible for classes, and the hierarchical system that has emerged as DEF CON grew means that responsibility, control and authority tend to be top-down per department. (Each person recognizes a person with control/authority to give them direction, but can't just "trust the client" when someone they do not recognize asks them (or orders them) to do something that contradicts what a person they recognize told them not to do.) A chain of command with recognized, validated authorities at a security conference means not just trusting the claims people make; social engineering is always a risk.)

                        I do not control any policies in departments that handle badge controls, or enforcement, but the last official comment I read on this was that badges would be required to gain access to this space. (I like to reduce drama by getting these things addressed and resolved long before con, so that everyone is on the the same page.) Please, if possible, get all of this settled and in public before con starts. (Everyone looking to pay for a morning course will benefit from knowing about such an arrangement if they can't buy a badge in time.)

                        Thanks!
                        -Cot
                        Last edited by TheCotMan; July 4th, 2016, 01:00.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks Dallas ,

                          I indeed have changed my mind. In fact a friend and I have made it into the afternoon session. There was still some space and we are both looking very forward to it ;) I have 2 questions though...

                          1) If we get our badges in time for the morning workshop (We bought the deluxe afternoon) and we show up, can we do that one instead, providing there is still seats?
                          2) You said a windows computer is recommended. I generally travel with my mac and Linux workstations, are there windows applications we need to install? If it's just ssh then I cool with doing that stuff on any platform. Hell, if I still had my CoCo3, I'd try to use that! heheheh



                          Cheers!
                          //GeekSedition
                          __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
                          TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post

                            If you have made arrangements with a goon or department head to get passed any badge check, please encourage them to post a reply here that says as such so it can be used as a reference for them to point to in case there is a problem at any badge control stations before accessing the area. I do not know who is going to be enforcing badge-controls at any point in con. Maybe this will be handled by the people organizing courses? Maybe someone else?

                            Goons that run badge control access may not be the same people responsible for classes, and the hierarchical system that has emerged as DEF CON grew means that responsibility, control and authority tend to be top-down per department. (Each person recognizes a person with control/authority to give them direction, but can't just "trust the client" when someone they do not recognize asks them (or orders them) to do something that contradicts what a person they recognize told them not to do.) A chain of command with recognized, validated authorities at a security conference means not just trusting the claims people make; social engineering is always a risk.)

                            I do not control any policies in departments that handle badge controls, or enforcement, but the last official comment I read on this was that badges would be required to gain access to this space. (I like to reduce drama by getting these things addressed and resolved long before con, so that everyone is on the the same page.) Please, if possible, get all of this settled and in public before con starts. (Everyone looking to pay for a morning course will benefit from knowing about such an arrangement if they can't buy a badge in time.)

                            Thanks!
                            -Cot
                            ---

                            To clarify - A badge is required for access to Workshops, if you are unable to obtain a badge, we will work with you to get into (Morning only) class, assist waiting in line or make appropriate arrangements. However, we "are Dallas and Ohm" whom defer to whatever the Goons and Workshop facilitators advise. [For the Kali class you will also have an EventBrite ticket of some sort - which will mean exactly nothing to any Goon - except possibly as TP].

                            With the workshop schedule changes (starting later), no one should have an issue getting a badge with sufficient planning. (I have also seen badges pre-sold at other events BSides and such if you are attending prior to Thursday - but that is not guaranteed).

                            And what I mean by "assist waiting in line", "Make arrangements" and such is sending someone else to stand in line after you provide a very detailed reason why you could not figure out how to get a badge by 10:00 on thursday and that's assuming someone is available to go stand in line to assist you and has a sufficient interest/motivation in doing so. I will be sending out reminders to get your badge via anyone who signs up and on appropriate forums, so just don't be that person (I'm talking to anyone reading this - not specifically geeksedition). Generally speaking the workshop crews, and Defcon staff will work to resolve reasonable issues - but the best policy is to avoid such issues.

                            I would add - that as an attendee I think I spent a total of 10 minutes in line. This is a hacker conference, figure it out. These are not hard issues to solve, linecon/badgecon/theline whatever you call it in a sense can be considered your first test. This is not a suggestion to cut in line which can lead to unfortunate consequences. There are other methods that are reasonable and can avoid long waits 'in line for a person'. Other suggestions include having correct change, and being able to quickly hand your money to a cashier and get your badge (or badges if buying for friends) and move on. :)

                            That being said if you did not wait in line, try to wait in line, went to the line at an absurd time expecting to get through line (say 9:30), and then need help waiting in line to get a badge, I'm not sure anyone will help you. I strongly suggest you have a badge prior to workshop and

                            .. always consider this IMO .....So shall TheCotman has written..so shall it be so..if you are new and reading his comments, perhaps even not fully knowing what a moderators role is in the 21st century, TheCotman would be an excellent example of good advice to heed.

                            ​​​​​​​
                            +++ Dallas +++

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dallas View Post

                              ---

                              To clarify - A badge is required for access to Workshops, if you are unable to obtain a badge, we will work with you to get into (Morning only) class, assist waiting in line or make appropriate arrangements. However, we "are Dallas and Ohm" whom defer to whatever the Goons and Workshop facilitators advise. [For the Kali class you will also have an EventBrite ticket of some sort - which will mean exactly nothing to any Goon - except possibly as TP].

                              With the workshop schedule changes (starting later), no one should have an issue getting a badge with sufficient planning. (I have also seen badges pre-sold at other events BSides and such if you are attending prior to Thursday - but that is not guaranteed).

                              And what I mean by "assist waiting in line", "Make arrangements" and such is sending someone else to stand in line after you provide a very detailed reason why you could not figure out how to get a badge by 10:00 on thursday and that's assuming someone is available to go stand in line to assist you and has a sufficient interest/motivation in doing so. I will be sending out reminders to get your badge via anyone who signs up and on appropriate forums, so just don't be that person (I'm talking to anyone reading this - not specifically geeksedition). Generally speaking the workshop crews, and Defcon staff will work to resolve reasonable issues - but the best policy is to avoid such issues.

                              I would add - that as an attendee I think I spent a total of 10 minutes in line. This is a hacker conference, figure it out. These are not hard issues to solve, linecon/badgecon/theline whatever you call it in a sense can be considered your first test. This is not a suggestion to cut in line which can lead to unfortunate consequences. There are other methods that are reasonable and can avoid long waits 'in line for a person'. Other suggestions include having correct change, and being able to quickly hand your money to a cashier and get your badge (or badges if buying for friends) and move on. :)

                              That being said if you did not wait in line, try to wait in line, went to the line at an absurd time expecting to get through line (say 9:30), and then need help waiting in line to get a badge, I'm not sure anyone will help you. I strongly suggest you have a badge prior to workshop and

                              .. always consider this IMO .....So shall TheCotman has written..so shall it be so..if you are new and reading his comments, perhaps even not fully knowing what a moderators role is in the 21st century, TheCotman would be an excellent example of good advice to heed.

                              ​​​​​​​
                              Your answer explains how this would work for people attending Ohm's and your morning class, and conditions that would be required for attendees to work with you to make it possible when attending your morning classes. (Your students will need to make arrangements with you early if they want your help.)

                              I don't write rules for other departments; when I see risks for troubles based on present information and past experience, I do try to provide comments on risks that may be sources of trouble.

                              Thanks!
                              -Cot

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X