X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A VPN Service that is safe to use

Folks,

I need solid assistance.

I am in need of a VPN Provider which do not log anything and is approved safe to use.
    I used NordVPN, but I am not satisfied, since its commercial and have subsidiaries in the USA (surveillance).
    Vypr VPN is not trustfully, since they don't answer my questions properly and with phrases, based on swiss rights (They didn't answer my questions about privacy law etc.)
    Plus the "reviews" on the site are - I don't know - a solid provider don't need this.
    Anyone with experience here, who can say what VPN is the best for several activities?

Regards,

I think the only way you would know if they don't keep logs is if you know someone who works at the provider and can tell you honestly.

The other issue you may have is that they don't keep logs.. until they get asked by law enforcement (In whatever country) to start logging your account, at which point they can't legally tell you what they are doing.

So basically VPN is good for getting away from your ISP watching you, or tricking the BBC into letting you watch TV shows even if you don't live in the UK, but beyond that I wouldn't trust them. It all depends on your threat model.
    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP for email Key ID: 0x8B0B476D
    Fingerprint: EA2B 63F9 2219 9171 2AB1 0065 FC59 8B0B 476D

Comment

I like TorGuard for cross platform. Tor stands for torrent not tor project.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent
        I think the only way you would know if they don't keep logs is if you know someone who works at the provider and can tell you honestly.

The other issue you may have is that they don't keep logs.. until they get asked by law enforcement (In whatever country) to start logging your account, at which point they can't legally tell you what they are doing.

So basically VPN is good for getting away from your ISP watching you, or tricking the BBC into letting you watch TV shows even if you don't live in the UK, but beyond that I wouldn't trust them. It all depends on your threat model.
        I honestly wish this wasn't as true as it is. I really don't think there is a true log free provider anymore.

Comment

ProtonMail offers a VPN service, I think. PROTONVPN.

Comment

It all comes down to what you are wanting to do that you are worried about someone tracking/logging/auditting your activities.

As correctly pointed out above, the normal use case is to just secure your point of connection to a known safe place or to by-pass a control. For example, untrusted network connections such as Public Wifi in a bar - or to get around ISP filtering to allow access to content that a known network provider prohibits.

For this, I personally use ProtonVPN - as I'm a ProtonMail user anyway and it's the usual Swiss privacy. Alternatively I also have the ability to VPN back to my home firewall - so for all intensive purposes I'm still connecting via home. Handy when you also lock down cloud environment to only connect from a known good IP address.

Now for the nefarious use - when you don't want ANYONE knowing what you are doing.

Lets face it - it doesnt exist as a service. If there is someone offering it as a service, then it can be compromised as there is 'someone' 'somewhere' involved that you have to trust to protect your activity. That Someone somewhere will always be able or capable of tracking / logging what you do. The network providers globally have laws they have to comply with and government agencies / nation states are always going to be capable of tracking. The only way to get around this is 'not be you' when you connect e.g. changing the digital fingerprint of what you look like when you connect.

Comment

Working...
            X