Poll - 2nd Book Club Book.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll - 2nd Book Club Book.

Please Vote for the 2nd Book Club Selection!
    Voting closes midnight on Friday, June 19th

Click image for larger version

Name:	6275017C-D4CC-4E3E-866E-37DDD4054F38.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	232807

Welcome to the second book club vote!

How this works:
    • Read this thread: https://forum.defcon.org/node/232713
    • Vote for as many books as you are interested in
    • The book with the most vote wins
    • If there is a tie then to save time having to vote a tie-breaker Nikita will pick from the pool of equal vote books.
    Remember to give preference to stories, we don't want to book club a technical manual.

If you don't see a book listed that you suggested it could be because you didn't follow the rules.
    The Alchemist - Paul Coelho
    0%
    Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
    10.53%
    Homeland - Cory Doctorow
    10.53%
    Walkaway - Cory Doctorow
    10.53%
    Lawful Interception - Cory Doctorow
    15.79%
    The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
    10.53%
    Dome City Blues - Jeff Edwards
    0%
    Freedom (TM) - Daniel Suarez (Sequel to Daemon)
    31.58%
    Mirrorshades - The Cyberpunk Anthology (Short stories)
    15.79%
    Found Audio - J.J. Campbell
    0%
    Masters of Deception - Michelle Slatalla and Joshua Quittner
    5.26%
    Leviathan Wakes - James S.A. Corey
    31.58%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 3LVI5; June 15, 2020, 08:28.

Leviathan Wakes has taken the lead! Voting ends tomorrow at midnight. Excited to dive into one of these books!

Comment

I'd Love to see Freedom tm Get it, so folks can get the full story from the first book.

The First book IMO, Talks about how far we have gone/can go with technology.
      Good, Bad, and Evil...
      And this was written over ten years ago...

The Second Book (Freedom tm) talks about how we band together & help each other.

The Story hooks you, and follows our same folks from the first book... Through some pretty interesting situations.

How we can help create local communities, and become more self reliant.
      It really talks about how we would become more enlighten to our society issues, and how we could help work those issues out.
      Brings the idea that within the Darknet Network, there is a universal reputation system, pros and cons.
      I don't know how much more I can say with out giving away plot...
      I can say that it helps spark an idea on how we can do better, and work together as a society, and

But I'll finish with this...

Because of these books, I got into the infosec community, work in open source projects, helped build a hackerspace, & I volunteer to help run a Contest (DCDarknet) based around these books.

This is D8taCr1ptK33pr Signing off

Comment

Moar votes!

I'm hoping for one of the Little Brother stories that capture a bit of the protest energy we are living through, or possibly the shot stories to make it easier for us to discuss them one at a time.
        PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

More Votes needed for sure!

So I found some of the parts of Freedom, perfect for this day and age...

Especially the "Different Powers that Be" (Don't want to give away plot) who where planning and adjusting where they had their assets to mitigate their loss with the incoming economic crash, spot on.
          The fact that the "Media" also spins news to what every their agenda's meet the bottom line, all feeding fear, uncertainty and doubt to the anyone who will listen.
          But even with all that going on, you can see many other folks doing things to protect themselves, and call the current authorizes accountable to the same laws they are trying to enforce.

It was a book way ahead of it's time, and made a profound impact on my life.

Comment

Nikita looks like we have a tie between Leviathan Wakes and Freedom (TM)! What should we go with?

Comment

The defcon theme this year is about discovery. Leviathan Wakes is all about discovery. Discovery of ourselves as humans. The book focuses on expressing the idea of uncovering our humanity through technology, politics, and a set of complex relationships between a host of interesting diverse characters. It is the most realistic depiction of space travel in the near future that any book has presented. No warp speed or special powers like the force to exaggerate the reality of colonization of space. This book touches on many of the current events happening today but in the near future. Can humans change for the better? At the heart of discovery is “know thyself" the first of three maxims inscribed in the pronaos of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. There is no better way to discuss protest energy than to ponder whether we are more like Prometheus who challenges the “great order of things” or are we all more like Oceanus who warns Prometheus against it. Leviathan Wakes awakens the discovery of this paradox.

Comment

I have a feeling Nikita is pretty busy right now, so I'm sure she won't mind if we go ahead with the book selection. Leviathan Wakes was the first book to take the lead on votes, and from what tank88 is describing it sounds like this book is a great fit for current events as well as the theme this year. I'll make the initial post for Leviathan Wakes soon! Excited to dive into this!

Comment

I'm joining the club with Leviathan Wakes a little bit late after reading tank88 post. Keep more posts like this coming please.

Comment

Working...
                  X