Lanyard Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanyard Puzzle

Anyone made any interesting observations about the lanyard yet? I'm completely stumped on this.

Same... Frequency analysis doesn't appear to correlate with much, and I haven't found any of the symbols elsewhere. Various runic languages have similarities, but some characters (e.g. the first in the first block of characters) don't seem to exist anywhere that I've seen so far. I did notice that each "word" is 11 characters, and there are four words (and "four" has come up in another part of the puzzle). I'm wondering if the characters are modified versions of something where the modifications are significant.

Comment

There will be hints and such the closer we get to con....

Comment

my attempt at making individual runes easier to visually locate if i helps! I think some strings might need to be flipped upside down; I don't know which would be the reference. Also, since it's on a strip of cloth, I'm still keeping in mind it might be a Scytale. This is Sparta! The runes that seem to need flipping might match top to bottom if it is. The message could be spelled in the "meeting" of runes top to bottom as the cloth winds. I just didn't want to cut up my lanyard yet.

edit: the Scytale could also line up with Fiddler on the Roof as an "ancient tradition"

edit2: has anyone tried running a black light or other lighting effects over the lanyard?

edit3: has anyone tried a strobe light effect on the runes?
        Last edited by b_hackin; 1 week ago.

Comment

edit2: has anyone tried running a black light or other lighting effects over the lanyard?
          Cool idea, but didn't see anything with a blacklight.

Comment

> something where the modifications are significant.

Or perhaps insignificant? I've heard we should study that in depth as well.

Comment

Dug into the 4 character strings in the insert. Obvious things, there were 8 strings per line plus 2 extra (if you ignore the very last string). I believe that equals the number of "rune" characters on the lanyard itself. Every letter in the English alphabet appears at least twice. Perhaps someone else can glean something from the attached .pdf!

Sorry for .pdf format, can't upload .xslx or .csv ....

Edit: Not convinced anymore than # runes = # 4 character strings, alas. It would've made for a nice lead. 😔
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bluebel; 1 week ago.

Comment

Can someone post a scan of the lanyard please? I'll include it on https://media.defcon.org/DEF CON 28/
                PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                  Can someone post a scan of the lanyard please? I'll include it on https://media.defcon.org/DEF CON 28/
                  Sure. Here you go!

:)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey team working off b_hackin's idea to color things, I made this today. Not counting the green spacer you get 8 different characters. Flipped in the middle you get 10.....
                    Thanks LosT for the scan!
                    Last edited by Gingerballz; 1 week ago.

Comment

What a delicious Puzzle - Great work on the color coding it really clarifies each of the Runes/Symbols.
                      A couple of thoughts/observations below
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	lanyardGrid.png
Views:	697
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	233671

Name:	LaynardRotation.png
Views:	676
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	233672

4 pairs of characters screams Hex encoded IP addresses to me but we only get 144 possible symbol/orientation possibilities.

Maybe something maybe nothing...Can't wait to find out :)

Comment

• Toasty Frogg
                        Toasty Frogg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wonder if there is too much rotation in your first line? While a puzzle in trinary would be wild a set of 4 symbols that are either normal or rotated 90° seems more likely.

• blak_hal0
                        blak_hal0 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So here's what we have come up with that is along the same idea as you have here.
                        The symbol in row 1 you have there, you can rotate it 4 ways and get 4 unique symbols, which are all on the lanyard. The character in row 3 you can rotate 4 ways, get 4 unique symbols, but only 2 are on the lanyard, the character in row 2 you can only get 2 unique symbols by rotating (the other 2 rotations just give you the same symbol). That gives you 10 unique symbols which fits nicely into a possible mapping of 0-9.

• SqrrlGrl
                        SqrrlGrl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Row 3 can rotate 4 directions, but only 3 are used on the lanyard. The two you have shown, and then a 180 degree rotation of the first (orange) one. Depending on how you decide to read it. (ie - do you read half and rotate it to start from the other side? if not, which side do you start from? still not sure on that...)

Good eye! I didn't think about the aspect ratio stretch / squeezed ones as being the same character! This really is a rotation cipher

Comment

So how is everyone tonight?

Here's some music to work by....enjoy!

Comment

Thank you for the tunes 1057 - I am ruminating heavily on overlaying and XOR'ing the runes so only the parts not present in the other image remain:

Something like this:

Name:	addition.png
Views:	630
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	233700

Definitely a 3-pipe problem :)

Thanks for the awesome badge this year!

Comment

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, because I'm always wrong. But if we were to start assigning the runes to something arbitrary to make it more recognizable, say, the first eight characters of the alphabet, you'll get this:

a b * c d * e d * e b

e b * a b * f d * g g

a d * b b * b b * a d

h b * b g * h g * e b

If you assigned numbers, you'd get this:

1 2 * 3 4 * 5 4 * 5 2

5 2 * 6 2 *6 4 * 7 7

14* 2 2 * 2 2 * 14

8 2 * 2 7 * 87 * 5 2

let me know if this makes you think of anything, or if you recognize my surroundings as another rabbit hole.

Thanks.

Comment

• LosT
                              LosT commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Why maker it arbitrary? I like your thinking....sort of....

• PunkAB
                              PunkAB commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Turn that frown upside down, 74rku5.
                          Working...
                          X