Where do I start learning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start learning?

Hello everyone. What should I do first to get into internet security? I have no idea where to start and most people on the net are too "l33t" to answer my questions. Ever since I saw the movie hackers (corny yes) I've wanted to get into this but like I said I have no idea where to begin.

Someone please help this newb out :).

well, i'm not too 1337 to help you out....

first, get a computer...... then buy a bunch of books and lastly, read them.

hope that helps.

infact, you can skip that first step.
    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Learn how to secure computers first. That way you won't think that the telnet command is a legitimate hack. The more you know about security, the more you know about insecurity.

If you work in a bank, they tell you all about REAL currency, that way if you get a counterfeit you will know it. They do not go on and on about fake money.

For that reason, check out computer security, and the hacks will come naturally. However, you will have an advantage that pays VERY VERY well.

Comment

Ok. So books, are there any books you recommend I start off with? I am serious; it's not like I can read any old thing and it will help, there's always books that are more helpful then others. Could you guys please suggest some more specifix material that i should get my hands on?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
          Learn how to secure computers first. That way you won't think that the telnet command is a legitimate hack. The more you know about security, the more you know about insecurity.

If you work in a bank, they tell you all about REAL currency, that way if you get a counterfeit you will know it. They do not go on and on about fake money.

For that reason, check out computer security, and the hacks will come naturally. However, you will have an advantage that pays VERY VERY well.
          it may be because i'm getting tired.... but all that sounded complicated....
          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by SpeeDFX
            Ok. So books, are there any books you recommend I start off with? I am serious; it's not like I can read any old thing and it will help, there's always books that are more helpful then others. Could you guys please suggest some more specifix material that i should get my hands on?
            First, not everyone is going to hold your hand and teach you or tell you how to do everything. There is a search button which will yield plenty of answers.

For books I would suggest

Hacking exposed 3rd ed.
            Steal This Computer Book 2
            A computer manual
            The penguin is watching.
            "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Originally posted by EeeekPenguins
              [B]First, not everyone is going to hold your hand and teach you or tell you how to do everything.
              I resent that a little bit as I am quite aware; I see no harm in asking. Thank you very much for the book recommendations though, I will look into them.

Comment

some good sites are:
                www.textfiles.com
                www.securitynewsportal.com
                www.google.com
                www.packetstormsecurity.com or nl?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeeDFX
                  I resent that a little bit as I am quite aware; I see no harm in asking. Thank you very much for the book recommendations though, I will look into them.
                  Just look before you ask. All of your questions can be answered through searching these forums or google, and if you still cant find an asnwer then ask.
                  The penguin is watching.

Comment

Why are you constantly an asshole to new people?
                    .: Grifter :.

Comment

Originally posted by EeeekPenguins
                      Just look before you ask. All of your questions can be answered through searching these forums or google, and if you still cant find an asnwer then ask.
                      Hrm, i think i remember you being new at one point or another i dont remember if i grilled you or not, I mean for the love of god, let some of it slide.

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.p...5800#post15800

Remember you where new not that long ago as well.

thanks

~:CK:~
                      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

I'm not trying to be an asshole I did answer his question.
                        The penguin is watching.

Comment

Another place to go is to www.bookpool.com . You can save a few bucks geting books there.

Download a personal firewall to learn about ports. They are free.

It's best if you have two computers. Make one the good guy and the other the bad guy. Secure one, then try to break into it wiht the other, ans go back and forth. Sort of like playing chess with yourself.

Comment

dont use trojans.

Comment

Originally posted by Fused
                              dont use trojans.
                              Don't listen to him, it's better to be safe than sorry...Make sure you use a trojan when probing untrusted ports
                              Where's the dedication?

Comment

Working...
                              X