cs degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cs degree

has anybody gotten a computer science degree, and if so, where has it gotten you?
    -A

A CS degree and $75 will get you into Defcon....

Comment

i have a lot of friends with CS degrees.

and they're all looking for jobs.
      "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've got a mix of friends, some have degrees, some dont. Seems like just as many folks with degrees are struggling to find work as those that dont have them. The only place I've found a degree to be useful is when looking to move into management. Lots of places will hire you into a non-management position without a degree, but require one for management positions. I'm currently in the position of deciding if I want to go back and finish my degree off and wether it will help me one way or another.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

the trend i see setting in with my friends is that the degree hurts them. the employer can pick between 2 people, both know just as much as the other, but 1 has a degree....

they will assume that the cs major will want more money for the same job and will go for the kid that cant use the excuse of his education to barter his pay rate up.
          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

there's an option to come back for a 5th year and get your MBA, or Masters of Business Administration. combining the two leads to maybe... boss of the cs degree people... ?
            -A

Comment

that might be worh at least looking in to.
              the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

I have a CS degree. I have found that it did indeed open many doors for me that were previously closed. I am east coast though..seems like the left coast is a little less degree centric from what people I have talked to have said.
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

In socal it seems certs play a more critical role than a 4 year degree in obtaining employment. Often times the 4 year is required for management positions, but usually they could care less what the degree is in.

Of course the advantage of a 4 year over MCSE and the like is that your college isn't going to have you come in and re-qualify when they roll out the new cirriculum every couple years ;)
                  -pappy

You are a beautiful woman.

Comment

Good for more degrees

Well my BS in CS got me an MS in CS.

I'm not sure that employment wise I'm any better off, but at least I got to hide in acedamia for a while longer.

Since I don't seem to be able to get it through my head yet that these degrees arn't doing much for me, and since I really like those cool doctoral robes, I might just stay in acedamia a while longer.

I do see a lot of job postings requiring certs of one sort or anouther, and when I get the funds to get one I probably will, but first I need sombody to hire me to get those funds....darn.

Comment

anyone know if there is a higher demand for either Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or recognmendations for someone in pursuit?
                      -A

Comment

I've been working with computers now professionally for more than 10 years.

My degree? A BS and MA in experimental psychology.

Study what interests you; take a job you enjoy. Chances are, if you find the latter, they'll be okay with the former.
                        http://bitshift.org

Comment

I have a degree in Business Administration. Major: Marketing. So I market myself. Best sales job I ever did! :D

Comment

The truth re: hiring is that you pretty well know if you're going to hire someone after about the first 30 seconds of an interview, and their education is only one of the factors .

If they have a CS or EE degree and cost a little more, it's always worth it to pay the extra $ and get the right person. If the right person doesn't have a degree, only itdiot overlooks them.

Now the question is, what percentage of management are idiots?

Comment

I got my degree for the best reason: Because I wanted it for myself. Anyone who says they got theirs for any other reasons is a gambler.

Comment

Working...
                              X