Spyware removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware removal

I did a google search and searched the forums before posting. I was wondering what programs you guys would recomend to get rid of stuff like key loggers and internet loggers. I have a sneaking suspision that someone put one on my computer. I found a list but wondered if anyone recomended a certian product. http://www.spychecker.com/software/antispy.html
    If there is one on my computer it is really important I get it off.

I have been using Ad-Aware for a while now. It seems to do a really good job on detecting and removing spyware.
    don't be afraid...
    just be ready.....

Comment

I have adaware and have used it for a while I need something that will remove a professional comerical program like net nanny, cyber cop or whatever those programs are called. Not just simple data miners those don't matter much. I am more worried about someone having found out my encryption passphrases which are encrypting somewhat sensitive files.
      Last edited by darknecron; July 21, 2003, 01:52.

Comment

so, i'm guessing you don't want your mom to see the german schiezer pr0n you've been downloading off kazaa, right?

well, first you need to find out what exactly is running on your computer. I assume it's windows, right? if it's XP, you should be able to spot suspicious programs in the process list of the task manager. Doing some googling will probably tell you what those programs are.

if you need to disable this software, http://www.peacefire.org had a bunch of information on such stuff back when i was in need of it.

If you think it's some type of spyware or something, run spybot search & destroy. I've found it to be a much more in depth scanner than adaware, often catching suspicous processes and reg keys that aren't spyware, but are still undesirable.

you might want to run a good antivirus program too.

oh, and encrypt your pr0n.
        "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I am don't run kazzaa because of the spyware and yes I do know aout kazzaa lite. I am running windows 2000. I have tried ad-aware and have found nothing I don't think it finds that stuff. I have been to peacefire before and already checked out their section on blocking software reports. I don't know what program has been installed or if any at all. I just know I only have one account and when I leave it I lock it. I have come back multiple times when someone has logged on as another administrator account which I go in and delete afterwards. I just want to know if someone has been on my computer.

Comment

1.Net nanny and cyber cop are just going to not let you go to certain sites, I think you'd know whether you had it installed.
            2.The task manager is available in Windows 2000 too.
            3. You know how to encrypt files but are not able to figure out how to take off a spyware program?

I don't use programs, I just watch what I open, and if there is anything starting up with my computer, not to sound uber leet, but just to give you a start to where to look, and most likely find said program.

Regedit:
            HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run*
            HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run*
            This will show a good percentage of your booted programs

Services:
            Check out to see if you're running some services that may have been put there to foul things up, it's in the control panel under Administrative Tools

Check to see if there is anything in:
            c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
            c:\Documents and Settings\(Diff. User Names)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

also try these files:
            Win.ini
            autoexec.bat

Not sure what else I left out, but most likely it will be in one of those places.
            Where's the dedication?

Comment

I would evaluate the system for risk possibility. As in number of pr0n sites visited, type of client for irc, open ports, patches, etc.

Go forth and use SwatIT or The Cleaner or both.

THe cleaner has pretty much just become annoying and SwatIT by lockdown is better in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinVega
                1.Net nanny and cyber cop are just going to not let you go to certain sites, I think you'd know whether you had it installed.
                2.The task manager is available in Windows 2000 too.
                3. You know how to encrypt files but are not able to figure out how to take off a spyware program?

I don't use programs, I just watch what I open, and if there is anything starting up with my computer, not to sound uber leet, but just to give you a start to where to look, and most likely find said program.

Regedit:
                HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run*
                HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run*
                This will show a good percentage of your booted programs

Services:
                Check out to see if you're running some services that may have been put there to foul things up, it's in the control panel under Administrative Tools

Check to see if there is anything in:
                c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
                c:\Documents and Settings\(Diff. User Names)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

also try these files:
                Win.ini
                autoexec.bat

Not sure what else I left out, but most likely it will be in one of those places.
                Don't worry - you don't sound uber leet. You sound K-Rad.

Comment

Originally posted by pezz
                  I would evaluate the system for risk possibility. As in number of pr0n sites visited, type of client for irc, open ports, patches, etc.

Go forth and use SwatIT or The Cleaner or both.

THe cleaner has pretty much just become annoying and SwatIT by lockdown is better in my opinion.
                  I think you should look in the registry it would probably list it there.

Comment

How bout pestpatrol ??????

Or easy way to shake the registry by running "msconfig" on an XP machine

Comment

Originally posted by darknecron
                      I just know I only have one account and when I leave it I lock it. I have come back multiple times when someone has logged on as another administrator account which I go in and delete afterwards. I just want to know if someone has been on my computer.
                      If this IS happening you've got bigger problems than pr0n pop-ups or spyware.
                      1. Change your account passwords. Make sure you follow the 8 char min., mixed case, special char, alpha & numeric convention. Change the name of the Administrator account. Turn on auditing.
                      2. Spybot search & Destroy is great but it doesn't get everything.
                      3. I have a written procedure that goes into great detail about how to get rid of this crap on a windows box. Since I'm feeling nice today I'll upload it for all.
                      Last edited by jounin; July 21, 2003, 14:08.
                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=replace_with_any_question

Comment

Here ya go.
                        Attached Files
                        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=replace_with_any_question

Comment

Block it before you get it, some programs.

Originally posted by jounin
                          Here ya go.
                          Well good information i will put it to use here as well. I suggest spyblocker, ad-aware, spy-bot, spy sweeper, spyware blaster. Then anything to honestly first of all Block the spyware from getting on your computer which i reccomend Spyblocker, Spystopper, spyware blaster Thats what i suggest as well, to add to jounin's information.

Hope it helps.
                          Ricky

Comment

Some stuff, like Kazaa, will not work if you uninstall the spyware. Now if you can uninstall just the flight simulator in Excel97, you're good!

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                              Don't worry - you don't sound uber leet. You sound K-Rad.
                              Aww, that's sweet of you HighWiz, thank you, from the bottom of my heart
                              Where's the dedication?

Comment

Working...
                              X