No announcement yet.

What the hell is wrong with Canadians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is wrong with Canadians?

Could someone please tell me what exactly is wrong with Canadian journalists? Perhaps "Brad Renderman" could be of assistance.

http://www.canada.com/technology/sto...4-8DB647B8A749

For those who aren't aware, not only did Pete Shipley "the original wardriver" not have these maps mailed to him, he wasn't even AT DefCon this year...so unless they held another DefCon at his house in SF, I find it highly unlikely that this reporter has any semblance of a clue.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Link pulled already?

Comment

the link is busted

Comment

No, I don't think the actual "..." is supposed to be part of the link.

Comment

Sorry...I C/P'd my post from the NS forums and jacked the link. It is fixed now.
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Ah. Thar we go.

Comment

This reporter is a perfect example of the populace. If you can't even get a NAME right, how do we expect you to secure your wireless network?

Comment

How the fuck did they manage to pull this out of their asses? UGH!
                the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

So I was talking to Desirae, one of the cooler girls at the con.

I must warn you, Desi is *gasp* Canadian.

I mention Ramen Noodles.

"Ramen? Oh! Yeah! Well, we don't call them Ramen Noodles."

"Oh? What do you call them?"

"Mister Noodle."

*giggles* "What?"

"Why do all Americans laugh when I say Mister Noodle! Mister Noodle! Mister Noodle! Is it that funny!"

"huhuhu yup"

--Dan

Comment

It's true, Mister Noodle is funny.
                    #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

Re: What the hell is wrong with Canadians?

Originally posted by Chris
                      Pete Shipley..., he wasn't even AT DefCon this year
                      Maybe not, but a very scary picture of him made it into Hacker Jeapordy! Maybe there was subliminal text in the picture discussing the WWWD results. ;)

Comment

That was Peter Shipley in the photo, I would have guessed Howard Stern. :>

Comment

Oh that shit.

Sadly I contributed to it. Not one of my best moments I'll admit.

The Shipley thing came around because the reporter asked about the orgins of wardriving and I gave him the history. Some how he interpreted that Shipley had something to so with the Wardriving stuff at the con this year. He also fucked up my name royally.

I already told him off and that the National Post is NOT to call me in future. Asses. You'd think they'd take the 5 seconds to check the schedual or maybe phone back to check. I'm understanding more and more why Chris just automatically tells them to fuck off.

It gets better; check this one out http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...0-D2BA4CDB2DDC
                          Last edited by renderman; August 12, 2003, 01:04.
                          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman

It gets better; check this one out http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...0-D2BA4CDB2DDC
                            Just what we need. Idiots convincing the press that wardrivers wardrive in order to find networks to break into. Anyone in Canada wanna go bitch-slap that guy for me?

Advice to anyone else doing interviews for the press: having your full name printed with information admitting specific details of how you committed computer crimes is not a good idea.

Comment

Ill poke some fun too:

Hackers dont send in maps, we send data..if we even send it at all.

He repeatedly used the term "Wireless modem" when in reality, wireless signals are not modulated and demodulated, the correct term is Wireless radio. The sad thing is, he used wireless modem incorrectly in a second way, he is actually talking about AP's

In the same paragraph, he mentions that "A $79 modem can defeat a $1-million firewall". Hot damn! thats the most expensive firewall I have ever heard of!

"Antennas, available through stores such as Radio Shack, can extend the range of a wireless laptop to as much as three kilometres". I dont know about you guys, but my local radio shack has never heard of 802.11*, and has never sold 2.4ghz antennas. They dont even sell N connectors anymore, and wont let me order them!!! Hehe, the WiFi-shootout kicked the shit out of 3 kilos.

"Wireless LANs can extend anywhere from 100 to 600 metres," Mr. Tanguay says. "While there is equipment that can effectively create a signal curtain around a building, it is not widely used. For most people and companies, having a wireless LAN is like sticking a telephone jack on the outside wall of the building. Anyone can plug in."
                              Fifty bucks says the reporter has no idea what a LAN is. I guess he doesnt understnd the concept of physical security. I can get onto most ethernets w/o even being questioned by the staff of a mid-large size company.
                              Virtutis gloria merces

Comment

Working...
                              X