This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC to DC--The Real Cannonball Run

I was surprised at the number of East Coasters that actually drove to DefCon this past year. This led Russ and I to discuss an UNOFFICIAL Cannonball Run contest that would start in Washington, DC and finish at DefCon. Obviously, if there isn't enough interest in this, we wouldn't try to make it a reality.

My thoughts were that folks from the east coast would converge upon DC a few days prior to DefCon and start from here. Upon arrival in Vegas you'd need to check in. Quickest time to the venue where DefCon will be held wins.

Let me know if you think you'd be interested in trying this out. General interest obviously does NOT commit you to anything, just let's us gauge the interest in a true cross county cannonball run.
    Absolutely, count me in!
    15.15%
    Maybe, I'd need to know more.
    18.18%
    Probably not.
    9.09%
    Are you suckin' the glass dick!?!
    18.18%
    That'd be sweet, but I live in the westside but I want to get rid of the poll option so I can see the results :)
    39.39%
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Very cool idea. The drive from the east is not as bad as it sounds.... and this is the verdict from two folk that each drove solo the entire length. As an idea, from Portland, Maine to Las Vegas, NV... travel time was approximately 45 hours (including 1hour long stops for lunch, gas stops, etc...) Starting from DC could cut as much as 10-13 hours off of this amount. This was averaging approximately 70 miles / hour of actual distance coverage... actually driving approximately 80-90 on various stretches. If done in teams where drivers could switch off... much better results could be achieved. The 3 1/2 days I took to make the trip was a very comfortable drive.

I would definately consider... well.. if I were still on the east coast :)
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

i fucking love the idea!

its not just about speed, you have to plan the meals, the sleep, the gas stops......

i think its an awsome idea!
      the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Personally, I think it would be a very dangerous thing.

Offical or Unoffical, I wouldn't want the car wreck on 70 to be on my conscience.

Comment

I've driven coast-to-coast a number of times and lots from DC to Texas. Its a long ass drive through some really boring country that would drive you to being an oxycontin addict.

Personally, my old, sad, tired ass wouldn't have the energy for defcon after a 2-3 day drive. The drive back would really suck.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
            Personally, my old, sad, tired ass wouldn't have the energy for defcon after a 2-3 day drive. The drive back would really suck.
            Gotta agree with you there! Our drive was about 20 hours, and it took some doing to get back. On the way out, we made it straight through, with shifts driving getting shorter and shorter. The way back, I don't think either of us was able to drive more than 3-4 hours at a stretch, and I ended up pulling off to sleep for a bit because I couldn't go on anymore. All in all, it wasn't a bad trip, but I certainly wouldn't go any further.
            the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
              Gotta agree with you there! Our drive was about 20 hours, and it took some doing to get back. On the way out, we made it straight through, with shifts driving getting shorter and shorter. The way back, I don't think either of us was able to drive more than 3-4 hours at a stretch, and I ended up pulling off to sleep for a bit because I couldn't go on anymore. All in all, it wasn't a bad trip, but I certainly wouldn't go any further.
              20 hours is pretty good time since a little less than half of it is spent getting out of Texas. :D

I was thinking about renting an RV with a buddy for DC12, arriving a 3-4 days early and bringing the women folk for the vegas nightlife. They would have the option to bail if they wanted to, but their kungfu is strong so they might want to stay for the tomfoolery that is Defcon.

Maybe there should be a Texas caravan.

Comment

yeah... the 3-4 days early thing does not cut it anymore... defcon starts on Tuesday :)

actually... the drive back would be a difficult thing post-defcon. I found it difficult keeping stamina up to make to to Portland OR across a two day trip. Driving back to Maine would have been a much slower process than on the way out... pushing it and falling asleep at the wheel is not a cool thing.. then again, having the teams would help this out considerably. Driving it solo is the roughest part of the distance.

Comment

Some cross country races have you use a GPS and average 55mph for the entire trip, and the closer you are at arriving at doing 55mph the whole way the more likely you are to be a winner. It's not speed, it's consistency.

Comment

One of these years I'm going to drive anyway, this would just give me the motivation. I'd be in.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      It's not speed, it's consistency.
                      Spoken like a person over 40 :D

Comment

Spoken like a person over 40 :D
                        Hey I'm not 41 yet!

Comment

20 hours is pretty good time since a little less than half of it is spent getting out of Texas. :D

Maybe there should be a Texas caravan.
                          Heh.. ain't that the truth. It was something like 500 miles just to get to the TX border. After that, the rest of the drive seemed so easy!

I'd be up for a caravan, but it seems like most of the people that were driving out were coming from the Dallas area, and we were taking different routes. It's an easy drive from here to take I-10 all the way to Phoenix. Also, we get in several days before con to spend time with our friends and get some sightseeing in.
                          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

You Texans are a funny sort.... /me snickers

Comment

I would be interested but I swear I am daymn near the only person from West Virginia that went. Do I get a prize or something for being the only hillbilly from Wv there?

I will be bringing many more hillbillies next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X