File Sharing with XP Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Sharing with XP Home

I want to be able to access my files, mainly my documents from anywhere on the Internet. I've tried numerous FTP servers with various port configurations and they just don't seem to work over the internet. I can access the FTP server from my LAN, but that doesn't do me much good.

When I attempt to access the server from the internet, the connection times out. I check my server log and it shows that the computer connected, but then the server cut the connection for no apparent reason.

Is there any possible way I can get my FTP server up and working?

Originally posted by ki85squared
    I want to be able to access my files, mainly my documents from anywhere on the Internet. I've tried numerous FTP servers with various port configurations and they just don't seem to work over the internet. I can access the FTP server from my LAN, but that doesn't do me much good.

When I attempt to access the server from the internet, the connection times out. I check my server log and it shows that the computer connected, but then the server cut the connection for no apparent reason.

Give us the Address, Login and Password. Then we'll see what we can do ;)

Comment

do you know if you're behind a fire wall? are you using any type of network adress translation (a router, windows connection sharing, etc)?

If yes, you'll have to change the port forwarding on whatever is providing the routing.

If no, your isp is probably blocking your ftp port. Try changing it to something high, as sometimes those unused ports aren't blocked by ISPs.
      "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Use sftp. I have found that most ISPs that block what they consider to be common server ports (21, 23, 25 and 80) don't bother with 22. Anyway, you want the encrypted tunnel...you know ya do.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Here's the rundown:

I'm using an ethernet hub without a firewall. I've already tried to configure it to a different port, but nothing seems to work. risphy told me to try it on a port higher than 1024, but it still didn't work.

Chris, what's sftp? If you got any more info, I'd like to hear about it! :) It does seem that me ISP is blocking those ports, but I can't get around it. I asked their support, and they just said over and over that they dont provide support for FTP servers...
          Last edited by ki85squared; December 9, 2003, 19:39.

Comment

Here's the rundown:

I'm using an ethernet hub <u>without</u> a firewall. I've already tried to configure it to a different port, but nothing seems to work. risphy told me to try it on a port higher than 1024, but it still didn't work.
            You say that this works across your network, but not from the internet... Is the IP address of the machine you're trying to FTP to public (given to you by your ISP) or private (assigned by you to the machine on the LAN)?

Comment

it's given to me by my isp. however, I manually configure it with all of the same info... I do this so it doesn't suddenly change on me, but that doesn't matter.

Comment

Could he set up some sort of VPN tunnel to access his files?
                The penguin is watching.
                "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

I think you need IIS to do that... I've researched IIS, and itz only on XP Professional. thats what sucks, I'm not about to go out and buy 180 bucks worth of software to do it. There's gotta be a way....

Comment

I think you need IIS to do that... I've researched IIS, and itz only on XP Professional. thats what sucks, I'm not about to go out and buy 180 bucks worth of software to do it. There's gotta be a way....

Research Better.

Comment

it's given to me by my isp. however, I manually configure it with all of the same info... I do this so it doesn't suddenly change on me, but that doesn't matter.
                      When you said "hub" did you mean hub or router? If you are using a hub as you said, I can see several potential problems.

If you are using a router...you need to set up port forwarding.

As for sftp...google is your friend, i'll kick start you...but you should really research stuff like this on your own.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ws+sftp+server
                      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                        When you said "hub" did you mean hub or router? If you are using a hub as you said, I can see several potential problems.

If you are using a router...you need to set up port forwarding.

As for sftp...google is your friend, i'll kick start you...but you should really research stuff like this on your own.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ws+sftp+server

Is it that you enjoy spoon feeding, Chris?... or just spooning?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                          I think we were both heading in the same direction with our respective questions.

And I'll add to the spoonfeedery: http://www.wown.com/ . Pretty much any question you might have should be answered here.

Comment

thx for the spoon chris... :P

I don't sftp would be good for me... my goal is to access my files from any windows computer without having installing any software to be able to connect. It looks like I'd need to install sftp or SSH clients to access an sftp server.

And, yes, I do mean hub as in hub, not router. The networking professional at my school said that a hub would'nt be as easy to configure as a router would be when it comes to setting up a server.

Comment

And, yes, I do mean hub as in hub, not router. The networking professional at my school said that a hub would'nt be as easy to configure as a router would be when it comes to setting up a server.
                              Unless your ISP is allowing each machine to grab an IP, it's not going to work. See http://www.wown.com for how to set all of this up. Chris' previous comments re: getting a router and portmapping still stand. Hint: use the hub *inside* the network, not on its edge.

Also, if you want to access one Windows box from another Windows box without additional software, it can be done provided that the remote machine is running IIS with FTP enabled; alternatively, check out third-party ftp daemons such as Serv-U. Every Windows box from 95 on has shipped with a commandline FTP client, so all the tools (actually, the tool) you need to be able to ftp to a remote box are there.

Now... The rest is up to Google.

Comment

Working...
                              X