X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indicanblend
    How convienent. ;)

By the way I did have a few questions:

A) What dates exactly will you be driving?

B) What time will you be Driving

C) The Route you will be taking

D) The License Plates, Color, Make and Model of the Vehicles that will be involved.

Comment

Our trip

Originally posted by highwizard
      By the way I did have a few questions:

A) What dates exactly will you be driving?

B) What time will you be Driving

C) The Route you will be taking

D) The License Plates, Color, Make and Model of the Vehicles that will be involved.
      Exact Route:)

So far:

1 Black 2003 Suburban (Licence: WARDRV)
      1 Yellow 2002 Xterra (License: WIFI)

There ya go...
      DC541 - (linuxscripto) contact linuxscripto@hotmail.com

Comment

I think this could actually be pulled off safely, under specific conditions. Each car would need an AP with a high gain antenna in the front and a high gain antenna pointed straight back (ie.. lucent wavepoint duals)... possibley even an rx/tx amp in the mix depending how you designed it... the key would not be exceeding fcc limits but getting damned close. Each car would serve to bridge on a single network.. this would require trying to maintain a pretty strict formation. Pulling out of formation (ie dealing with regular highway traffic such as passing etc) would temporarily break the network.

With a whole lot of planning, money, and know-how.. it _could_ be done... but... why? You would also have to leave out the person in the front passenger seat per many state laws like the California one... even if it isn't specifically a state law, it certainly takes away much credibility if a cop pulls you over for wreckless driving. Best solution.. go HAM.

... just a little service announcement from an Oregonian that will be thoroughly pissed if you deface the WARDRV plate with stupidity.
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
          With Wardriving you can throw the laptop in the backseat.
          Or get a co-pilot...

see the law about the gps i am interested in, cause I have my handheld one mounted with suction cups on my window, just curious what that would constitute as.
          ~:CK:~
          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Personally, I don't see a problem with passengers using laptops. The wifi thing is a bad idea, though. We drove straight through to Vegas from San Antonio, and it was a longass drive through a lot of monotonous desert. Hell, half the drive was just getting out of Texas! When we weren't driving or sleeping, we were on 3g. Surfing quietly seems like a much better idea than pestering the driver.
            the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Damn you and your GPRS ... damn you.

The only time I've had a box in the passenger seat ..aka passenger table ;) ... is when I had something like mappoint on it and used it _infrequently_ at noted 'safe points' (red traffic lights, railroad crossings, parking lots) when I could keep my ass from getting lost. Even if you're driving out in the middle of nowhere, and you take just one second to glance over and make sure you're on the correct road.. around the bend could, hypothetically, be a surprise intersection that you have to skid through strategically McGyver style to avoid traffic from 3 directions... My wardriving box is almost always in the back seat behind me... which is why sound can be useful; pump it through your car speakers and have a blast when networks bump along to metal mmmmm

... now you've made me horny.. sigh
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

In using a high-gain- amplified-omni-directional antenna, connection broke at around 750 ft i am estimating, in less than perfect traffic. Signal had to go through several cars. I know 750 ft is not much but it sure is better than the 50 feet your saying is nessessary to conduct this project.
                You do realize that driving the average speed limit down to defcon, (which for all intents and purposes we'll assume is roughly 75-95 mph :) ) a 750ft distance becomes quite short when the driver in front of you has to slam on their brakes for any reason? and, let's be honest, we know you'll try to get the cars closer than that anyway. Simply put, just enjoy the open road. No one needs an assclown to crash into them from the other lane just because the person looked down and to troubleshoot why their wifi wasnt working. If you are that intent on doing it, get together a caravan of people who will be driving around, at a safe/slow speed with the traveling ad-hoc being the only thing in mind, not while your actually on a trip or trying to get somewhere. Or, if you want to be really crafty, just get together a caravan of boats and large lake or ocean, and do it out there.

and yes I realize the last post to this thread was a while back, I just happened to browse over it and it got me in a ranting mood. :D
                .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Or, if you want to be really crafty, just get together a caravan of boats and large lake or ocean, and do it out there.
                  Anyone object to me bringing out the boat to do a little networking? Yes, I know I created the post, But in reality I don't feel that doing it on a lake, or ocean or whatever is ANY safer than the open road. Doesn't matter, idea has been dropped long ago.
                  DC541 - (linuxscripto) contact linuxscripto@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X