No announcement yet.

Making lockpicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you want to hand make a lockpick set? Hand make the KEY first. You will learn a lot, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      So you want to hand make a lockpick set? Hand make the KEY first. You will learn a lot, trust me.
      So true... Understanding pin depths and mechanical function of pin tumbler locks can be better understood through this route.

Hand Made keys through impressioning is really time consuming and is a rare art to see mastered (even among locksmiths.) (This does not include warded keys/locks and impressioning of those keys-- which are really easy, but does include pin tumbler keys and locks)

Hand made keys from an available copy is much easier, but the easiest was using a cheesey el-cheapo key cutter I had at one time (until I gave the POS away.)

The coolest keycutter I have ever saw was one that permitted you to "punch" the depths by numbers from key blanks! It only used the power of your own hands which made it very portable and much quieter than those loud electronic motor key grinders. (Imagine a hole-punch with various depths you could dial by numbers.)

Hey... is the MIT Guide to [Lockpicking] still considered as good a resource as it was 10 years ago? If not, what has replaced it?

TIA

[edit: fixed typo x 2]
      Last edited by TheCotMan; May 27, 2004, 11:46. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
        Hey... is the MIT Guide to Locpicking still considered as good a resource as it was 10 years ago? If not, what has replaced it?
        I still send alot of newbies to the MIT guide because it does a good job explaining the mechanics of a lock. It's a great beginner guide.

I've read a few other books I've found in the last year. I've found that most of the time, if it's an 'official' locksmith book it does'nt talk much about hand picks and just says 'get this tool'. If it's a 'Secrets of lockpicking' book it's not much more than a re-hash of tyhe MIT guide and some of the other basics.

Nothing beats hands on experience.
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by spahkle
          I also would like to hand-make some picks (before buying a set). If anybody has 1.0 scale pics they could send I'd be grateful. (**insert promises of alcohol dispensement at con here**)
          Has anyone sent you what you requested? If not, privmsg me. I have a flatbed scan of several picks with an included ruler in the image with mm. and in. for end-user resizing as needed. (Brought down to about 90KB in compressed PNG.)

As for beer at the con:
          See about getting me a Grøn Tuborg or perhaps a Tuborg Julebryg. ;-)

Tak

[edit: previoulsy stated filesize was 130kB, but gimp-ed the image to limit colors, and replace with high contrast for better compression and typo.]
          Last edited by TheCotMan; May 27, 2004, 20:24. Reason: new file size, fix typo

Comment

Working...
          X