Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notacon in Cleveland, OH

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Notacon in Cleveland, OH

    Please don't flame me for this, but I know some of you may be interested in this event we're having here in Cleveland called Notacon. The event will be running from April 23rd through 25th, 2004 in Cleveland, Ohio.

    We are currently soliciting proposal for presentation. Since the conference has two components, both creative and a technical, we welcome all proposals, no matter how off-the-wall.

    Please check out our webpage for more information and plan on attending. Also, if you know of anyone that might be interested, please pass this information on.

    http://www.notacon.org/

    Thank you,

    - Froggy

  • #2
    but....it's in Cleveland..... need I say more?
    If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

    Comment


    • #3
      At least it's not in Detroit :)

      Seriously, though, it's shaping up to be a fun event. I realize geographically it's a little distance from California and Nevada, but I thought some folks might have some genuine interest. If not, that's cool. I'm just trying to get the word out.

      Besides, at least it's Cleveland in late April and not now considering all of the white shit that we call snow that plagues my lawn. Argh.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by froggy
        At least it's not in Detroit :)

        Seriously, though, it's shaping up to be a fun event. I realize geographically it's a little distance from California and Nevada, but I thought some folks might have some genuine interest. If not, that's cool. I'm just trying to get the word out.

        Besides, at least it's Cleveland in late April and not now considering all of the white shit that we call snow that plagues my lawn. Argh.

        Perhaps you can tell me what notacon is, since the site goes into great detail about what it IS NOT. Even though in the section that describe what it IS, it certainly sounds like a Con.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by highwizard
          Perhaps you can tell me what notacon is, since the site goes into great detail about what it IS NOT. Even though in the section that describe what it IS, it certainly sounds like a Con.
          Fair enough. To a degree I'm not even 100% sure what it will be myself, but giving you that as an answer is ducking the question.

          My idea, stupid or not, is this: I am generally bored with the typical computer and network security conference. There are already a lot of them (Defcon included) that do the job better than I probably ever could. So my idea was to bring music, art and technology together to see where these disparate areas perhaps have some overlap. While there will be 3 different tracks of talks and presentations, my hope is that perhaps new insights can be made into how technology affects us.

          Yeah, it's rather high-level stuff. For me it's not only the presentations themselves (Can code be beautiful or have intrinsic artistic qualities to it? What are the mechanics and technology behind new experimental electronic music? Has someone out there made a sculpture out of 10,000 old 5 1/4" floppy drives?), but from the community created therein.

          The two subtle themese that will hopefully pervade the event are community through technology as well as the concept of "bridging the gap" between technology and creativity.

          Yes, some of the standards from other events will be there, but hopefully I can put a new twist on it and give it a fresh look. (instead of having tons of game shows, for example, we're going to have contents and projects, most with some sort of useful and/or meaningful prize).

          Thanks for your fair criticism of the site content. I guess sometimes I and the organizers are so focused on what we do not want it to become that we limit ourselves in telling people what it has the potential to be. Thank you.

          Oh, I hope this answered your question, too. If not, let me know.

          Comment


          • #6
            good work man.. sound kinda interesting... but it is still in Cleveland
            If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Siviak
              good work man.. sound kinda interesting... but it is still in Cleveland
              Fair enough :)

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm sorry, but even after reading all the posts a few times, I didn't catch where notacon was being held. I know Siviak's from LV, but somehow I get the feeling he knows.... ;)

                Comment


                • #9
                  My crystal ball says Cleveland.

                  Maybe the whole city. :>

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by yankee
                    I'm sorry, but even after reading all the posts a few times, I didn't catch where notacon was being held. I know Siviak's from LV, but somehow I get the feeling he knows.... ;)

                    I believe he said it was in Detroit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ahh...another con for the East coasters...

                      /me researches the website.

                      It looks like something I could get work to spend money on.



                      Observation: Strange how most of the "notacon" helper pics have DefCon badges on...
                      Last edited by pezz; January 27, 2004, 07:44.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Siviak
                        good work man.. sound kinda interesting... but it is still in Cleveland
                        Don't they call that city "The mistake by the lake"?
                        Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by che
                          Don't they call that city "The mistake by the lake"?
                          If I attend the CON, will someone take me out on the lake in a boat?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pezz
                            If I attend the CON, will someone take me out on the lake in a boat?
                            How about a pool raft in pool #2?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pezz
                              If I attend the CON, will someone take me out on the lake in a boat?
                              sure.. but do we have to bring you back too?
                              If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X