Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics

So with this current worm attacking via email on a global basis against MS systems, did anyone catch what it's going to do?

The news last night interviewed techtv who said that this worm is a prelude, and that its' installing zombie clients that in a February will all wake up and launch a coordinated attack against SCO.

So my question: Does anyone REALLY feel like actually doing anything to stop this worm and the pending attack?
    --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

They say that one in 12 e-mails is this baddy. Now if they put a quarter million rewards on spammers you'd have something there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatter
      So my question: Does anyone REALLY feel like actually doing anything to stop this worm and the pending attack?
      Well, the worm also listens on and accepts remote commands from port 6777... I'm sure the spammers are having a ball, but unfortunately their spam is being drowned out by virus messages and virus bounces...
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

Comment

So with this current worm attacking via email on a global basis against MS systems, did anyone catch what it's going to do?

The news last night interviewed techtv who said that this worm is a prelude, and that its' installing zombie clients that in a February will all wake up and launch a coordinated attack against SCO.

To help SCO Directly? No.

To mitigate costs and problems associated with the worm and it's excessive traffic and bystander networks? Yes.

I'm not going to contribute to the problem, but I'm going to laugh at SCO for having to deal with what they brought on themselves.

Whoever wrote the thing was going to DDOS somebody, but thier stupidity brought themselves into the sights.
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I don't think SCO really cares about other streams of revenue at this time besides what they stand to receive from IBM. I'd guess that they could care less what happens to their web site.
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

The moral dilema continues.....

The new variant will now attack microsoft.com.
            Liberty not only means that the individual has both the opportunity and the burden of choice;
            it also means that he must bear the consequences of his actions.
            Liberty and responsibility are inseparable.

- Friedrich Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.White

At least it won't attack mikerowesoft.com

Comment

I feel that the primary issue with this entire thing is two-fold.. first there is yet another person out there that is drawing bad press to the hacker comunity... and, though I know that there is no undoing the damage that has been done (by others and by ourselves as well) in the past, I feel that a time outside of the news "Top Story" would do us all a little good.

Second: the issue that we have all had at one point of time or another... seeing an ass-hat and laughing at the joke.. it was funny and you will be laughing him all the way to dev/null, but even though it brought a smile to your face he still needs to be beaten with reeds...

so in closing I would like to say this: "I have no comment or open opinion on the current 'situation' surounding the 'worm' 'attaks' on the 'InterNet', and would like to see the 'attacks' come to an end either by 'anti-viral' or other means or by just sitting back cracking a beer and letting it runs it course.. thank you and good day"
                If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Does anyone REALLY feel like actually doing anything to stop this worm and the pending attack?
                  I do, but only because the anticipated DoS traffic could potentially fux0r our network (thoughts of BGP going down during Blaster and Slammer) as it goes out to the Internet.

Other than that, fuck SCO. If it were up to me, I'd have every infected host relocated to the DMZ for the duration of the attack.

Comment

Lets start a group of Cyber-Bounty Hunters. Everyone can fight over being called Boba Fett

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                      Lets start a group of Cyber-Bounty Hunters. Everyone can fight over being called Boba Fett
                      We won't fight over the name Hi-Wiz' ho'

Comment

The average person is fairly intelligent and can deal with any situation in a calm, logical manner. People, however, are an entirely different matter. Scared people tend to form a lynch mob mentality. The worm scares "people".

I have to agree with Siviak. This is one more person bringing bad press to the hacker community. I also do not think that Highwizard misses the mark very far in his "Cyber Bounty Hunter" remark. My question would be, Who will the "Cyber bounty hunters be hunting and what methods will they employ?

:(
                        I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydr47
                          The average person is fairly intelligent and can deal with any situation in a calm, logical manner.
                          Not in my experience, the average person fails to comprehend and willfully ignores the technology they wield on a daily basis. When things go wrong they immediately turn to "those suport geeks" down the hall or the "grease monkey" at the garage. When things aren't resolved quickly, they start blaming the people they rely on to fix things.

My question would be, Who will the "Cyber bounty hunters be hunting and what methods will they employ?
                          Whatever the methods, I'm sure that they are already patented since this seems to be dumb ass patent week at the PTO. Check the latest patent for locating an IP to a physical location. Sounds like the authors of Neotrace need to fork out some royalty money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.White

When you consider what's at stake an attack on Microsoft would be nothing more than a suicide mission. Kind of like Rhode Island attacking China. "In the end there can only be one."
                            I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Except for the guys in arkansas.. They're all named Bubba Fett

yee haw
                              --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
                              - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                              X