FU transportation Security Administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FU transportation Security Administration

Soooo I get back from Seattle tonight....

And notice that I'm missing the lock on the suitcase I'd borrowed to go there....ok, fine, I wish I'd known not to lock the suitcase, I figured I would put some trust into the person who checked the suitcase into the baggage claim to tell me that....

And ok, fine, my suitcase has been rifled through, ok whatever homeland security....

and then notice to get the suitcase open, they cut the lock off, but to cut the lock off, the also totally destroyed the zippers on the suitcase to the point where they barely close the suitcase that doesn't belong to me.

(which i luckly find out has a lifetime warranty)

Ok so inside the suitcase, i find my destroyed lock taped to a little flyer that tells me all about homeland security in spanish and english and the TSA with this URL:

http://TSAtraveltips.us

which is a 404.

heh.

Jackalope
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

That's the exact reason I'm going to have someone at the hotel a day early, and is getting all of my computer stuff via UPS insured (Astcell's idea) - I doubt they'd like me bringing my laptops, wireless router and other goodies via carryon, and it's sure as hell not going with luggage - my electronics are worth more to me than the life of those that would handle it. I figured that'd be the best way to get held up at the airport while I explain the reasoning behind it all. Homeland security is quite paranoid in many respects, and I wouldn't put it past them if they were checking for mass computers heading to vegas around Defcon time.

Quirk-

Comment

I flew to vancouver canada to visit friends back in november. they cut the lock on my bag also.It wasn't even locked to both zippers . just one side so that they could rifle through my stuff . so i get home and begin to unpack , now i know i had a good time in BC but i dont remember packing a red bra. and considering that i wouldn't have any use for a bra (except maybe a slingshot ) ibegin to take inventory on my stuff . i was missing stupid stuff like the plastic bags for my bathroom stuff , i was also missing two coloured socks (red and black ) i know when where and exact location of where i packed them. so my guess is that the some how got the bags mixed up . never the less its just stuff. Nowi tape a full inventoy sheet and letter explaining that if anything is missing when i open my bag I will be filing a report .
      since then , i havent seen anymore movement in my bag .
      the only question in life is , Why?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope
        and then notice to get the suitcase open, they cut the lock off, but to cut the lock off, the also totally destroyed the zippers on the suitcase to the point where they barely close the suitcase that doesn't belong to me.
        Here's how to avoid that issue: zip ties. As long as the bag has the type of zippers with holes in the tabs (or that are designed to work with a luggage lock), bring some zip ties with you to the airport.

The TSA is obliged to secure your bag for you, but only if you request it; you may not secure it yourself after the TSA has inspected it. I had this problem at LAX over Chirstmas, where I got into an argument with the TSA agent over putting my bag unsecured on the conveyor. They actually stopped the conveyor, retrieved the bag (which shouldn't happen) and zip-tied it shut for me.

(which i luckly find out has a lifetime warranty)
        Good luck on getting them to cover it. They may claim that they're not responsible as you shouldn't have locked the bag knowing that the TSA would inspect it.

Other than that, I fucking hate the TSA.

Comment

I'm just waiting on the headline:
          "Underwear sniffing ring uncovered in TSA ranks!"
          Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

inside bag

Actually....
            I'm kind of surprised nothing else happened to me as per this was sitting in my bag: (hopefully the url works!)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...43/printable=1

Yes it operates bombs.

I knew there was a possiblity of having my bag searched, i'm just bummed that there were no signs and that the employees didnt care enough to tell me that. (and later on that the website was a 404).

Anyway.

Lopeulopular! :p
            DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

They were probably searching for that good ol' Jackalope music!!! :>

Someone here advises to travel with a gun, then you get to have your case locked all the time.

As far as the warranty, remember the commercial of the gorilla jumping on the suitcase? Not too far off from many of the TSA employees.

Makes me want to put a piece of paper of my own in the suitcase for the TSA folks...I better save the contents for Defcon instead of here in public.

Comment

I know there have been a lot of rants about TSA... I haven't really been too uptight about it because I figure that .gov will do what looks best for them. .. and that is exactly it. There is no security gained by allowing these rent-a-cops to rifle through your stuff at will. It simply makes people feel like they are more safe from 'terrorists boogeymen' while TSA gestapo do their damage.

In some recent flights I noticed that there is still is no defined standard either; they simply do what they want to do. At one airport they examined everything that I had, my laptop, even made me take off the belt that held up pants 2 sizes too big on my person, questioned me why I was bringing "a bicycle kickstand" (I assume they saw the spokes on my sunglasses?)... Another airport did not even require photo ID to prove that I was who I claimed to be before boarding.. and the TSA folk actually got upset that I was holding up the process when waiting for someone to pick up my laptop and inspect it (what I assumed all places did at this point) "No, we usually just pull everyone's stuff to the end of the table so the people behind can keep coming through"
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by zziks
                  i was also missing two coloured socks (red and black ) i know when where and exact location of where i packed them.<SNIP>Now i tape a full inventoy sheet and letter explaining that if anything is missing when i open my bag I will be filing a report .
                  since then , i havent seen anymore movement in my bag .
                  I've been warning friends traveling to the US to do just that. A quick digicam inventory and paper list pinned on the top of your stuff and a short note explaining that you have done so keeps sticky fingers at bay.

I've never used those stupid little luggage locks since I learned at age 10 how to pop them open with a paperclip. I always use zipties and I take a sharpie to them and mark them so I will know if they were ever opened. I also leave a few in the exterior pockets, and inside to give them the hint to close it up again

this thread: http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=1799
                  had some other ideas as I recall
                  Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I can imagine those employees go home and have these huge egos, that they are better than anyone else because they weild so much power.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      I can imagine those employees go home and have these huge egos, that they are better than anyone else because they weild so much power.
                      Kinda Like the DIA

Comment

Originally posted by astcell

Actually, a lot of them dont. I have a friend who recently worked for the TSA. On our side of things we joke TSA stands for Takes Scissors Away. On thier side of things they joke that it stands for This Sucks Ass. Lots of them know its bullshit, but its a job.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                          Actually, a lot of them dont. I have a friend who recently worked for the TSA. On our side of things we joke TSA stands for Takes Scissors Away. On thier side of things they joke that it stands for This Sucks Ass. Lots of them know its bullshit, but its a job.
                          Confessions of a Baggage Screener: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/bagscan.html

Definatly not glamorous work
                          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

all of these things add up to one answer for me......DRIVE. these reasons are why I drive everywhere... ok sre so my car has almost 200,000 miles on it.. and I spend a bit more on oil changes than the next guy...but my bags are always like I left them... and I don't need anyone to pick me up
                            If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                              all of these things add up to one answer for me......DRIVE. these reasons are why I drive everywhere... ok sre so my car has almost 200,000 miles on it.. and I spend a bit more on oil changes than the next guy...but my bags are always like I left them... and I don't need anyone to pick me up
                              heh heh, my car had like 218,000 until my odometer stopped working....

lope
                              DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Working...
                              X