• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lucid,
    Just curious, what part of Ky are ya from?"

far eastern, pike/floyd county right on the VA. WV. line

Comment

Originally posted by azrael
      well we are nuts, bonkers, etc. before we enter the car, so it will be okay. and the route we have is 28 hours of driving at 60 mph, so we should be able to work with that, however as of right now, I am the only driver, so it will probably take 2-3 days, because I will want to sleep and enjoy the scenery. :)
      OK. At 60mph for 28h, that's a total of 1680 miles, one-way. Over three days (because you'll be lucky to average 60), that's 560 miles per day, which equates to 9.3 hours of driving per day. Very doable. Assuming you average 60mph, that is.

My personal distance record is Seattle to Los Angeles (actually, a point approximately 40 miles south of Los Angeles in Orange County) via I-5 in a single 18-hour shot. This is a distance of approximately 1200 miles, and an average speed of 67mph. Approximately two hours of that time was spent eating, getting gas, etc., so the actual average for time in motion was more like 75mph.

However, we had one major advantage: no climactic extremes, and surprisingly mild weather for a February in the Cascades. On the other hand, you're going to be crossing a couple of deserts in the heart of the hotter-than-hell season. I'm guessing that being from Kentucky you've never driven in desert climes before; if I'm wrong, please excuse me for bringing up the following - it's meant more for a generic audience than you specifically:

1) Deserts get hot. While this may seem blatantly obvious, it means that you need a vehicle that's capable of traversing the desert without overheating. That means a freely-circulating cooling system - both the radiator *and* block. Live in an area with hard water? You might want to get your radiator pressure- and flow-tested before leaving and recore it as necessary. The money you'll spend doing this is a lot less than if it blows on you in 120degF heat in the middle of nowhere, particularly if it takes your head gasket and/or head(s) with it.

2) Feeling smug because your vehicle is air-cooled? Don't. You'll need to change the oil and filter before attempting the crossing, make sure that the oil is receiving sufficent flow and cooling, and that any fans blowing air over the engine are fully-functional. If not, you risk warping the head(s). This would be bad.

3) Belts. Don't run on old, cracked belts, especially if your vehicle has a single belt driving the ancilliaries (power steering, A/C) in addition to the water pump. Replace them before you go and carry spares.

4) Air Conditioning. You probably won't be using it much, particularly during the day. It can make your car overheat rather rapidly in the heat you'll be driving through; this is particularly true if it's heavily-loaded (and that includes passengers). For that reason, carry potable water and lots of it.

5) Be sure to check fluids at each fuel or rest stop or every three hours, whichever comes first. You may find that oil or water consumption changes noticeably once you hit the desert. Also, due to changes in the consistency of both engine oil and coolant in desert climates as well as overall cooling and heat dissipation ability, you may notice a sizeable drop in both cruising speed and performance. If this happens, don't push it: drive at a steady speed, watching oil pressure and coolant temperature. If either climb up past the three-quarters-to-boilover mark, pull over and let the vehicle cool for at least one hour before continuing.

6) Other things to bring: five gallons of spare gas. Enough oil to refill your car's sump. A gallon of antifreeze. Two gallons of radiator water, though it should also be potable. Two gallons of drinking water stored separately from the radiator water. Hose bandage or spare hoses. A spare tire in good condition and working jack. Blankets, because it gets really cold in the desert at night. Basic tools. A knife. A gun and awareness of the carry laws in the states you'll be crossing.

Apologies if any of this is old news to you, but better to repeat it than have someone die because their car broke down and nobody reported it.
      Last edited by skroo; May 5, 2004, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
        OK. At 60mph for 28h, that's a total of 1680 miles, one-way. Over three days (because you'll be lucky to average 60), that's 560 miles per day, which equates to 9.3 hours of driving per day. Very doable. Assuming you average 60mph, that is.
        Wow, very informative and apoctoliptic at the same time.

That is all very sound advice. I have to admit though,...it makes me want to do it even more... heh heh

sparrow6

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow6
          Wow, very informative and apoctoliptic at the same time.

That is all very sound advice. I have to admit though,...it makes me want to do it even more... heh heh

sparrow6
          Stitch and I drove from the East Coast to Defcon Last Year, and I will echo Skroo's statements. Have a kit a long with you. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Make sure you stop to rest and take a pee break. If you're travel I70 there is a perticular area in Utah where it is just Desert for a number of miles. Make sure to keep your car filled with gas (we never let it drop below half a tank). If your not a good auto mechanic yourself, make sure to go and find a reputable one and tell him what you are doing... Have him give it the once over.

Make sure you have AAA... Have them give you a trip tik for there and back.

Unlike many on this board, I didn't had Utah. I hated Arizona... If you drive the route I did, you will understand why.

Comment

defcon desert driving / midwest caravan

Last year we drove the desert at night to avoid these concerns. The largest downside was that this meant we got into Vegas at some crazy early AM time. I thought it worked out very well. IIRC it was around 70degF through most of the night. My FAVORITE part of the drive had to be the sea of vegas lights that appear all at once when you reach the top of one of the final hills. Now THAT rocked! :)

WARNING - If you do this, you MUST be more careful about gas because you have even fewer options for fueling up at 4am.

** please msg me if you are doing the caravan thing on I-70 through Kansas or need a ride from Wichita or Kansas City **

-- jester

> 1) Deserts get hot. While this may seem blatantly obvious, it means that you

Comment

Need a Ride

Hey...!

I'm in Nashville (Close to Kentucky)... I can get to Kentucky if need be. Or NC, or GA, or AR. If i can come along with ANYONE I would be so happy. This is my first convention like this really.

Comment

Originally posted by AttIvAn
                Hey...!

I'm in Nashville (Close to Kentucky)... I can get to Kentucky if need be. Or NC, or GA, or AR. If i can come along with ANYONE I would be so happy. This is my first convention like this really.
                You can get to NC, GA or AR... Can you get to NV? If you can get to NV I think someone may be able to help you out.

Comment

Working...
                X