Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-selection of speakers

Hi,

why were some speakers (see http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-12...-speakers.html) selected even before the official CfP deadline was over? I mean it is kinda unfair to other speakers, isn't it?

Bye,
    Bobby6k

Originally posted by bobby6k
    Hi,

why were some speakers (see http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-12...-speakers.html) selected even before the official CfP deadline was over? I mean it is kinda unfair to other speakers, isn't it?

Bye,
    Bobby6k

Early Bird Catches the worm.. It's only unfair to those who wait till the last minute, and those people just make everyones lives more difficult anyway. If you don't procrastinate then you don't have to worry!

Comment

As you are on the subject of speakers, is there going to be any well known speakers??

Comment

Wasn't there a speech on how to be a speaker one year? There should be.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
          Wasn't there a speech on how to be a speaker one year? There should be.

Yes, I believe it was called "Get some social skills, geek!"

Comment

Originally posted by mikedc1760
            As you are on the subject of speakers, is there going to be any well known speakers??

Not this year. The thought process is to get only speakers that no one has heard of. Also discouraged this year are so called "original" presentaitons. Rather than get speakers with the best original ideas, we are hoping to see who has the strongest Google-Fu. It should work out well for everyone.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

my google-fu is in fact unmatched in the western world... that's a fact*

*by fact I mean generalization unable to be proven.
                a pc-0x90 by any other name is a nummish..
                Bigger 1:23

Comment

Do you suppose that speakers who have spoken at past cons get a leg down in selection? Or I'm I missunderstanding "speakers no one has heard of"
                  "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by mikedc1760
                    Originally posted by Chris
                    Not this year. The thought process is to get only speakers that no one has heard of. Also discouraged this year are so called "original" presentaitons. Rather than get speakers with the best original ideas, we are hoping to see who has the strongest Google-Fu. It should work out well for everyone.
                    BTW, what ever happened to the on-going inclusion of Bruce Schneier to the DC speaker-list?

(If this is a touchy subject, sorry for bringing it up; I do not know the story behind it.)

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                      BTW, what ever happened to the on-going inclusion of Bruce Schneier to the DC speaker-list?

(If this is a touchy subject, sorry for bringing it up; I do not know the story behind it.)

TIA

Seriously guys. You have got to realize that 99% of the shit I say is sarcastic. Do you seriously think there would be no speakers with original content? Look at the speaker page as it stands now, there are already speakers with original content...hell, they are all original content. You guys have to pull your heads out and think.
                      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                        Seriously guys. You have got to realize that 99% of the shit I say is sarcastic. Do you seriously think there would be no speakers with original content? Look at the speaker page as it stands now, there are already speakers with original content...hell, they are all original content. You guys have to pull your heads out and think.
                        I included the quotes from the previous poster to make your reply remain in context. I do not really care about the "original content" discussion so much as I care to know what happened to cause Bruce Schneier to not be included in later DC, and thought you might know more about this.

TIA

Comment

Schneier

Bruce Schneier is always welcome at Defcon. As always he is extremely busy. When he spoke at Black Hat last year, he was in and out in less than 12 hours.
                          blackbeetle

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeetle
                            Bruce Schneier is always welcome at Defcon. As always he is extremely busy. When he spoke at Black Hat last year, he was in and out in less than 12 hours.
                            He did a keynote at Toorcon last year. I swear he arrived early in the morning, had breakfast with a fortunate few, gave his keynote, and hit the airport by noon. That is one crazy schedule.
                            “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Bruce Schneier is a sorely missed personality around DC imo. but it isn't hard to understand why. May 20th=Washington,DC, May 26th=Tacoma WA, June 2nd=Oslo, Norway...the man is busy folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X