This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwaving chinese food.

Ok, now this is probably stupid or of no intrest to most so this is the reason for posting it in dev/null. Just last night I was reheating some chinese food in the styrofoam container that it comes in and noticed that when in the microwave the container spins faster than the rotational plate inside. If anyone can elaborate on why this might happen I am curios.
    If there is a Church of WiFi, then this is it's !

The kitty wasn't dead yet.

Comment

That was my first theory, but when I opened the container and seen that it was sliced and diced into little pieces I ruled it out

Comment

Yeah, I finally get to use all those years of Physics Classes. (Now this is where I start to sound like a complete nerd :D )

Microwaves generate electromagnetic waves were the friction that is made normally just heats. However, with microwaves that have rotational plate in them the motion that makes the plate spins leads to friction, and this friction can lead to a chain reaction of not only the heating of food but illusion of objects moving faster than what they really are.

Here is an example of why the container looked like it was moving faster:
        Two waves of friction are moving in opposite directions, as if they are just bouncing back and forth. The container also makes a wave and this wave is the "sum" of the two friction waves as they interfere with each other. As the two friction waves move back and forth across the container waves it gives off the visual illusion of the container moving faster than the plate it is on, when if fact both are moving at the same rate.

*There is an other factor that comes in play with this but I can't remember it off the top of my head*
        "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
          Yeah, I finally get to use all those years of Physics Classes. (Now this is where I start to sound like a complete nerd :D )

Microwaves generate electromagnetic waves were the friction that is made normally just heats. However, with microwaves that have rotational plate in them the motion that makes the plate spins leads to friction, and this friction can lead to a chain reaction of not only the heating of food but illusion of objects moving faster than what they really are.

Here is an example of why the container looked like it was moving faster:
          Two waves of friction are moving in opposite directions, as if they are just bouncing back and forth. The container also makes a wave and this wave is the "sum" of the two friction waves as they interfere with each other. As the two friction waves move back and forth across the container waves it gives off the visual illusion of the container moving faster than the plate it is on, when if fact both are moving at the same rate.

*There is an other factor that comes in play with this but I can't remember it off the top of my head*
          Hmm, an optical illussion. Very interesting. Well thank you for the explanation although this does not end world hunger it will let me sleep at night.

Comment

You are correct!!!! NERD!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
              You are correct!!!! NERD!!!!
              Yes I am :D

/me gets especially nerdy with way too much caffeine in her system
              "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Of course to really make this a valid test you should microwave other foods in other containers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                  Of course to really make this a valid test you should microwave other foods in other containers as well.
                  Dont' forget: "You must follow the scientific method" then report your findings back to us.

Comment

Dont' forget: "You must follow the scientific method" then report your findings back to us.
                    That sounds real funny coming from a guy who recommends stealing pants.

Comment

That sounds real funny coming from a guy who recommends stealing pants.
                      I recommend stealing pants from dead people... I mean, they don't need pants anymore... You only steal pants from living people when they have your size.

Comment

/me is a nerd.

I do like to do microwave experiments/tests.

*Maybe tonight I should upload my one webpage back onto my site about my experiments and the outcomes.*

Comment

/me is a nerd.

*Maybe tonight I should upload my one webpage back onto my site about my experiments and the outcomes.*
                          Are these the ones that you do with h3adrush?

Comment

When I was a kid we didn't have microwaves, our experiments were things like finding the biggest thing that can still be flushed down a toilet.

Comment

When I was a kid we didn't have microwaves, our experiments were things like finding the biggest thing that can still be flushed down a toilet.

Jeez, I didn't think they had running water in your childhood days.

Comment

Working...
                              X