• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ConMan Palm app

I've written a handy-dandy free Palm app called ConMan, which is a little
    guide to a Convention. It wasn't really ready for release in time for HOPE,
    but I was using it personally and I found it really helpful to have the
    Palm tell me everything about what events were going on RIGHT NOW
    without having to carry the little book around and check the clock.
    It's loaded with full event descriptions, and speaker bios. The palm would
    also buzz me when events checked "interesting" were coming up.

Integration to DefCon's NoteEx would be a wishlist item...

Would this be something DefCon would want to talk about setting up?
    An IR download station at the registration desk (ala CES) would be cool.
    If so, I could use any source data you guys have for the schedule.
    Snarfing the rendered HTML is a pain in the ass.

FWIW, I'm a lazy bastard, and I would love to have this. Hope it happens. :)
    Aut disce aut discede

Comment

You are going to have to fork your own code because Emmanuel and Jeff haven't agreed on a standard hacker con schedule format?

Comment

schedule data format

Originally posted by ßobÇat
        You are going to have to fork your own code because Emmanuel and Jeff haven't agreed on a standard hacker con schedule format?
        Hahaha....

I have a Perl script that boils the schedules down to into a recipe for a .pdb
        in ConMan format, consisting of my own kind of records (event records, bio
        records, etc)...

The script that did that for 5HOPE's site isn't going to work on DC12's site (of
        course). If I could get ahold of a CSV or XML or something, it would make the
        conversion easy.

The 5Hope site was clearly NOT generated from a normalized backend db,
        because the schedule was out of sync with the speaker list, and it was
        unsorted. I think they just wrote the HTML emmanually...
        Defcon would probably be easier to import (e.g. it has crosslinks to bios
        keyed by name), but I'd rather have the upstream data if it exists.

Comment

Great :) Now I need to find my Palm III :)

It would be great to have this program on PocketPC... Anyone know of a Palm Emulator on PocketPC?
          /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

PocketPalm

Originally posted by dataworm
            Great :) Now I need to find my Palm III :)

It would be great to have this program on PocketPC... Anyone know of a Palm Emulator on PocketPC?
            There was something called PocketPalm a few years ago, but good luck finding it.

Maybe a PocketPC port of ConMan could be done.

OTOH, I just bought a PalmIII from eBay for $7 + shipping.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by billygoto
              There was something called PocketPalm a few years ago, but good luck finding it.

Maybe a PocketPC port of ConMan could be done.

OTOH, I just bought a PalmIII from eBay for $7 + shipping.. :)
              You got any screen shot of your software? Is the source free(GPL. or any similar license)? I could maybe help you with PocketPC port, but I don't have mutch time these day...
              /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

You got any screen shot of your software? Is the source free(GPL. or any similar license)? I could maybe help you with PocketPC port, but I don't have mutch time these day...
                Here's a screenshot from yesterday.
                Like I said, it's not ready.... :)
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes, it will be free software. I wouldn't expect hackers to put it onto their PDAs
                  if I didn't publish the source...

Comment

Hahaha....

I have a Perl script that boils the schedules down to into a recipe for a .pdb
                    in ConMan format, consisting of my own kind of records (event records, bio
                    records, etc)...

The script that did that for 5HOPE's site isn't going to work on DC12's site (of
                    course). If I could get ahold of a CSV or XML or something, it would make the
                    conversion easy.

The 5Hope site was clearly NOT generated from a normalized backend db,
                    because the schedule was out of sync with the speaker list, and it was
                    unsorted. I think they just wrote the HTML emmanually...
                    Defcon would probably be easier to import (e.g. it has crosslinks to bios
                    keyed by name), but I'd rather have the upstream data if it exists.

I'm interested in your idea. Last year we wanted to do something like that at the "Info Booth". This year we are going to have an RSS server up and running to provide updates for everybody on contests/speakers/events/etc...

If you are interested in providing the grunt work on this maybe we can do something to integrate with the INFO BOOTH. Email me if you are interested...
                    Life is too short not to enjoy....because you won't get out alive.

http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

Comment

DefCon Palm Sync ideas

Originally posted by FAWCR
                      I'm interested in your idea. Last year we wanted to do something like that at the "Info Booth". This year we are going to have an RSS server up and running to provide updates for everybody on contests/speakers/events/etc...

If you are interested in providing the grunt work on this maybe we can do something to integrate with the INFO BOOTH. Email me if you are interested...
                      Sure, let's talk it over. I'm willing to do a reasonably large amount of grunt work,
                      but a lot of that effort has to go into the very basic stand alone ConMan app, rather
                      than server integration.

From what I can see, RSS is funny on Palm... At least with free software.

There's a good Opensource Palm Hypertext browser called Plucker, but it needs
                      preprocessing of the document bundles into .pdb files. People have written good filters
                      to transform RSS into Plucker format, so maybe your server can provide precooked
                      Plucker .pdb files along with the RSS.

AvantGo-style Malsync also seems appropriate for this, but I don't know how to create a
                      MAL server. I'm not aware of any free software implementation of the server end of the
                      MAL protocol.

Any solution that needs a conduit is fucked. Conduits are a pain in the ass
                      for everyone. Getting my laptop out to update online data to my net-enabled PDA
                      is kind of lame.

An official DefCon IrDA beamer station with updates for the net-starved at an info
                      booth would rock, too.. (push button, get updated).

Any other suggestions?

Comment

It wasn't really ready for release in time for HOPE,
                        but I was using it personally and I found it really helpful to have the
                        Palm tell me everything about what events were going on RIGHT NOW
                        without having to carry the little book around and check the clock.
                        Sounds cool. Any plans for a Newton port?

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                          Sounds cool. Any plans for a Newton port?
                          I can't decide where to BEGIN to answer that...

Palm Pilots : YES
                          Pomme Pilots : NO

Comment

Wow, that is a sweet idea. I would pull my m505 out of its box it has sat in since I moved.
                            I would even be willing to help if I knew anything about programming for the Palm...

Comment

ConMan needs beta testers.

Originally posted by neXus
                              Wow, that is a sweet idea. I would pull my m505 out of its box it has sat in since I moved.
                              I would even be willing to help if I knew anything about programming for the Palm...
                              Well, I just got it to a pretty good test point last night...
                              If anyone wants to kick the tires on it, I could use any feedback.

http://www.assburger.org/conman/

There will be more of a website there soon.....

Comment

Working...
                              X